The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Wallas 95D Heater Cover Fan Not Working
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjhantzis

City/Region: Barters Island
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Catleen
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Wallas 95D Heater Cover Fan Not Working Reply with quote

My 95D Wallas stove starts and works fine but the fan for the heater top doesn't work when I lower the hood. The unit has very few hours on it. Any thoughts?
dutch123

City/Region: Prince George
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Reel Action
Photos: Reel Action
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look underneath at back of stove you will see a lever conected to hood this actuates a switch when hood is closed, check for corosion you might be able to repair otherwise replacing this unit is a good start.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, how about that. The darn thing died this summer on Journey On and I'm going to share what I found out.

First, we got through the summer with an ECOFan which is actually better than the lid fan. First, the E-fan is quiet. Second, the E-fan can be pointed at the V-berth so it warms that place up a little before you get out. And, finally, the E-fan doesn't wear out.

Second, while on the trip, I called Mike at Scan Marine for advice. Mike is a very helpful person, pointed out the switch is $75 and he would replace it if we dropped it off, for the $150 cleaning fee. This later grew to $100 for the part and a bit more for the installation. Fair enough. However, Mike pointed out that a 5 yr/old Wallas needed several more parts replace to guarantee reliable operation.

Third, so this has become a home repair job. I pulled the Wallis out with the help of Tom/Primitive PDF doc: Wallas Stove Service . He doesn't mention the lid, but the aft screws on each side remove the lid, which is shown below. You'll also have to disconnect 2 sets of wires, one to the lid switch, the other to the relay.

[/img]

You're looking at the bottom of the lid/cover, with the blower fan on the right, at the rear of the lid. The black cube at the top right is the power relay which drive the fan motor. The most important part is at the bottom right and is the lid blower switch, complete with junction board and a thermal switch. The problem seems to be not with the micro-switch, but corrosion on the board. That's the $100 item, and I'm not questioning the price. What I'm worried about is that Mike said that switch is prone to die, since it's in a place which catches a lot of crud.

My plan is to replace that microswitch with a manual switch that can be turned on when we want heat from the Wallas. Have one i bought for $5 from the auto parts store, and I'll mount it at a distance from the stove. That switch only drives the relay, so there's no real power going through it.

At the same time, I'll follow Mike's suggestions, and replace the start-up motor, etc, etc, as detailed in Toms document. that should only be ~$100 in parts (at this time.) And after reading the above, you may want to send that stove to Scan Marine. I figure the total bill would be ~$500.

By the way, just to make you happier, it was mentioned that the Wallas 85 model, introduced right after we bought Journey On, fixes all these problems. The story of my life.

Boris
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SJ

All good stuff from Boris.  One other thing you might check is the fan motor & if it's running but the fan isn't then the motor shaft to the fan bushing.  On our last Southeast Alaska cruise I had to tear the Wallas down as show by Boris in Sitka, Alaska.  The shaft is superglued to the bushing & found the glue had failed.  Repaired that but in the process of checking it applied direct 12 V to the fan motor & found out quick that's a no no.  Voltage fed back & took out the switch & junction board shown by Boris.  Thought at the time it was the main control board it took out so ended up without the Wallas for the rest of the cruise, which was over a  month.

Jay

Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here is the THREAD about disassembly of one. Have fun!
CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
My IRA

City/Region: Springfield
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Aidiam
Photos: My IRA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow,

For the money that these stove/heaters cost, one would think that they would hold up better.

1992 C-Dory 22 Cruiser sold 8/96
1992 OLympic 26XLF Sold 10/2000
1989 Arima 19 SR sold 2003
2004 C-Dory 25 sold 10/05
1992 Bounty 25 Offshore Pilot sold 6/2010
2006 Arima 17 SC sold 9/2012
2013 C-Dory 23 Venture
sjhantzis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post, Journey On, which Ecofan model to you use? I see there are two listed for wood stove use, an 800 and an 812.

Thanks,

SJH

journey on wrote:
Well, how about that. The darn thing died this summer on Journey On and I'm going to share what I found out.

First, we got through the summer with an ECOFan which is actually better than the lid fan. First, the E-fan is quiet. Second, the E-fan can be pointed at the V-berth so it warms that place up a little before you get out. And, finally, the E-fan doesn't wear out.

Second, while on the trip, I called Mike at Scan Marine for advice. Mike is a very helpful person, pointed out the switch is $75 and he would replace it if we dropped it off, for the $150 cleaning fee. This later grew to $100 for the part and a bit more for the installation. Fair enough. However, Mike pointed out that a 5 yr/old Wallas needed several more parts replace to guarantee reliable operation.

Third, so this has become a home repair job. I pulled the Wallis out with the help of Tom/Primitive PDF doc: Wallas Stove Service . He doesn't mention the lid, but the aft screws on each side remove the lid, which is shown below. You'll also have to disconnect 2 sets of wires, one to the lid switch, the other to the relay.

[/img]

You're looking at the bottom of the lid/cover, with the blower fan on the right, at the rear of the lid. The black cube at the top right is the power relay which drive the fan motor. The most important part is at the bottom right and is the lid blower switch, complete with junction board and a thermal switch. The problem seems to be not with the micro-switch, but corrosion on the board. That's the $100 item, and I'm not questioning the price. What I'm worried about is that Mike said that switch is prone to die, since it's in a place which catches a lot of crud.

My plan is to replace that microswitch with a manual switch that can be turned on when we want heat from the Wallas. Have one i bought for $5 from the auto parts store, and I'll mount it at a distance from the stove. That switch only drives the relay, so there's no real power going through it.

At the same time, I'll follow Mike's suggestions, and replace the start-up motor, etc, etc, as detailed in Toms document. that should only be ~$100 in parts (at this time.) And after reading the above, you may want to send that stove to Scan Marine. I figure the total bill would be ~$500.

By the way, just to make you happier, it was mentioned that the Wallas 85 model, introduced right after we bought Journey On, fixes all these problems. The story of my life.

Boris
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sjhantzis wrote:
Great post, Journey On, which Ecofan model to you use? I see there are two listed for wood stove use, an 800 and an 812.

Thanks,

SJH

Most here that use them use the two blade model (the 800). It's smaller and easier to stow.

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the cheapest EcoFan available. Works great.

I put it over the small burner on the Wallas, so it blows over the large burner. I once made the mistake of putting it over the large burner so it would run faster. It did run faster, to where I thought it would come apart. But those clever folks at EcoFan put a small metal insert in the base to lift it off the burner when it gets too hot, sort of a thermal safety switch.

Put it over the smaller burner.

Boris
sjhantzis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tripped the microswitch with a fillet knife and it seems to be working fine -- for the moment.

journey on wrote:
I bought the cheapest EcoFan available. Works great.

I put it over the small burner on the Wallas, so it blows over the large burner. I once made the mistake of putting it over the large burner so it would run faster. It did run faster, to where I thought it would come apart. But those clever folks at EcoFan put a small metal insert in the base to lift it off the burner when it gets too hot, sort of a thermal safety switch.

Put it over the smaller burner.

Boris
Pandion

C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Wallas 95D Heater Cover Fan Not Working Reply with quote

sjhantzis wrote:
My 95D Wallas stove starts and works fine but the fan for the heater top doesn't work when I lower the hood. The unit has very few hours on it. Any thoughts?

Has anyone had the opposite problem--fan won't turn off when the lid is raised?

Andy Ryan

sjhantzis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Microswitch Reply with quote

The fan has failed to turn on a couple more times since my original post and I've always "corrected" the problem by tapping it with a filet knife.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Wallas 95D Heater Cover Fan Not Working Reply with quote

Pandion wrote:
sjhantzis wrote:

Has anyone had the opposite problem--fan won't turn off when the lid is raised?
. Andy, yes if you mean the 95D, but only due to the lid not being in the correct position to contact the switch in the up position. On our replacement 85 model I noticed the fan always ran regardless of lid position & was concerned about it causing shortened fan life, as with our 95 model we had to replace several fan motors, along with the one time problem of the fan shaft slipping in the bushing. From a call to Scan Marine, I was advised the 85 model was designed to have the fan run continuously & it's motor failure a very remote possibility, due to it being designed to run many thousands of hours.

Jay
Chester

City/Region: home
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love-Hate.
The concept is great, the execution... Not so much.
Look at your tiny cell phone and it's incredible abilities.
Now, look at the crude 20th century motherboard, sensors, switches and unrealistic voltage demands on the Wallas.
Pandion

C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Microswitch Reply with quote

sjhantzis wrote:
The fan has failed to turn on a couple more times since my original post and I've always "corrected" the problem by tapping it with a filet knife.

Thanks. I'll start tapping.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: