The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

can a c-dory accomodate more than 3 overnight?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levity

City/Region: Shippensburg
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Levity
Photos: Levity
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,
Hello and welcome. The transom seat option has been a useful addition to my boat. It serves as a table, seat, boarding step and work bench. I believe it could serve as a child's bed also. The bench would need a rail or some means of preventing the child from falling off but it is long and wide enough to serve. 'Levity' photo album page 3 has a photo including the bench and cushion. Happy boat hunting.
Mike 'Levity'
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've come to prefer sleeping on the "dinette bed" and having wife and 15 yr. old daughter sleep in the v-berth. The reason that I prefer this arrangement is that I usually stay awake until midnight and awaken around 0500 - 0630 HRS. (Way earlier than the "girls" wish to awaken). That way, upon awakening, I can reconfigure the "dinette bunk" back into a dinette, get the cabin back in to some semblance of order and get the coffee pot brewing.....(not necessarily in that order). I've also been able to cruise out early in the morning leaving the girls in the v-berth sleeping.
(Almost forgot.....dog sleeps on cabin floor). For added sleeping space a good pad in the cockpit under an enclosed camperback makes a dandy "bedroom".
About three years ago one of the Canadian C-Dory enthusiast joined us at the Lopez Island gathering in their 22' cruiser and if my memory serves me right they had 3 children and a dog plus the two of them sleeping on their vessel. (I'm thinking that the skipper slept on the cabin floor....but not sure about that).

C-Brat #16
Ron Bennie

City/Region: Calgary
State or Province: AB
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am becoming very encouraged with this info. As I've mentioned my cruising has been done mainly in the area around Calgary. There are so many great areas to explore between here and Vancouver Island. Just have to get the boat. El and Bill, you have been such an inspiration to me with your website. I hope you have a book in the works. I believe I can make this boat work for us. Our season is short here and the investment in a boat like the 22 seems reasonable, even for 5 months. What am I talking about, I'd be tinkering the whole year through anyway. I regularily slept 4 on the Catalina very comfortably even if the condensation was horrendous (no windows to open). So that settles that...I'm so glad I asked.

Thanks again everyone,

Ron.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's show Ron a pic of the transom seat...this came from the factory, but we removed it, as David said, because when folded down it was too difficult to get to the drain plug, see the level of the gas in the tanks, etc...BTW, Ron, the lady is our friend Lynzie, who now lives in Calgary, we will be visiting her for her birthday in April.

Levity wrote:
Ron,
Hello and welcome. The transom seat option has been a useful addition to my boat. It serves as a table, seat, boarding step and work bench. I believe it could serve as a child's bed also. The bench would need a rail or some means of preventing the child from falling off but it is long and wide enough to serve. 'Levity' photo album page 3 has a photo including the bench and cushion. Happy boat hunting.
Mike 'Levity'

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Here's an Idea! Reply with quote

I created a double bed in the cabin, which you might consider. See photos in me subalbum labeled "Sofa to Dinette Conversion."
Ron Bennie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne: My jaw dropped looking at those photos when you first posted them. Fanastic idea and beautifully done I must say...you're inspiring.

Ron B.
Wayne McCown

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Response to Ron Reply with quote

Thanks, Ron!

You will also find some description of the process and comments on it among my posts.

Cordially, Wayne
Wayne McCown

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Bunk Beds in Cabin Reply with quote

Dear Ron:

Here's another idea, or two, for your consideration.

I just came up with a way to make bunk beds, using the backboard (see my photo subalbum, Dinette to Sofa Conversion)! I can lay on the upper bunk, but it would be better for a child. (I am presently making arrangements to mount bungee cords on the outside of the board to the ceiling, to protect a child from falling out of this high bed!)

You can also convert the galley top + helm seat into a galley-side child's bed (see photos in my subalbum, Various Idea).

The use of bunk beds (instead of a double) in the cabin keeps the aisle and galley free. Using the galley-top aas achild's bed still leaves the aisle free.

HOW MANY KIDS DO YOU HAVE, AND WHAT ARE THEIR AGES?

Cordially, Wayne
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Wayne! That is one unique, innovative modification!! John
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll sleep lots if some of 'em gots 4 feets!

Cat Cat Cat Cat Cat Cat

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my goodness, Charlie - those are the cutest baby kitties I've ever seen (only because we didn't meet Molly until after she was grown Very Happy ). Thank you for the big "oooohhhhh" and the smiles you made in our household with that image. This response doesn't have anything to do with sleeping lots in the cabin (our boat drinks 6, feeds 4, and sleeps 2, plus a cat), but please insert that photo again anytime you can work it into a conversation.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Ron Bennie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Wayne:

I caught sight of your photos earlier today before I noticed this post. I think you (and others) have convinced me that the 22 would make a great weekender for 4 with this type of modification. That's really all we want at this point. My kids are 9 and 7 and both are autistic. Yes, life is challenging for us but raising children with disabilities does have its rewards too. We love boating because it's an activity that gets us away from the daily routine without having to deal with being around crowds of people which upsets my son especially. We've been enjoying a 17 foot runabout that I inherited this spring. If the kids continue to enjoy these little cruises I'd like to move up to a 22 and get them used to longer periods on the water while exploring the great lakes we have here and in B.C. My and I would enjoy the odd weekend get-away by ourselves too. Time will tell, but in the meantime thanks for sharing your ideas. I'm sure many people will benefit from them.

Ron
Wayne McCown

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Response to Ron Reply with quote

Dear Ron:

Yes, I think you make the C-22 work.

You could have the kids sleep in the V-berth (typically, they love that!), and the parents in the cabin (on the double bed)...or vice versa. Or, you could have the kids sleep on the bunk beds. Or, you could make up beds on opposite sides of the aisle (with the potti in the aisle for all to use). The last arrangement would be the easiest, for setup. Then, of course, as others have suggested, one can sleep in the aisle, and (with the camper back), one or two can sleep in the cockpit.

Cordially, Wayne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: