The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Marinaut Issues
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jerry,

There are no leaks or restrictions. The system works well week's at a time without issues. The problem is caused when air is sucked into the impeller housing/chamber when we allow the water tank to get too low, or the result of cavitation when we too severely restrict flow at the water faucet. The problem is that once air or a void is present in the chamber, there is no way to vacate it without either removing the hose from the pump outlet, or installing a bleeder valve to allow gravity to push water through the void.

Thanks!

Rich

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We replaced another water pump this summer in our boat. That makes 5 Jabsco fresh water pumps in 6 1/2 years. Oh, and another Jabsco macerator pump this summer, too. When talking with the folks at Jabsco, I found out that the first two pumps (C-Dory factory installed the first, they sent me the second) were not "marinized." I realize this is not the same thing to do with the Marinaut, but the "marinized" pumps don't seem to fare much better than the other. I bought the first marinized pump at a commercial shrimp boat place back home, the next one from West Marine. I have used pumps from 1.9 gph to 3.0 gph. No vapor lock, no failure to prime... they "get fussy" (work intermittently), then die within a few days.

Jabsco did send me two new pumps at no charge, after I documented the situations and gave them serial numbers. Some other boat owners have told me similar tales, but I think we have had the most frequent problem. I always carry a spare when cruising (plus we have the pump from our cockpit fresh water washdown as an additional back-up).

That said, I'm not willing to go back to a hand or foot pump - I like hot and cold pressure water. Very Happy

Glad you were able to figure out a good resolution to the pump situation - wishing you lots of happy, trouble-free cruising.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,
Your statements were insightful, and you have peaked my curiosity. What component of your Jabsco pumps failed during those six years? I'm curious, too, about the length of the water hose to the faucet, the rise in feet, and the number of sharp bends, if any, in the hose. What I'm getting at is whether or not the hydraulic head pressure may have exceeded tolerances for the pumps. One has to wonder what the company did to maximize the pumps -- if they indeed did anything.

Thus far, our pump has lasted a full season in which my wife and I have spent twelve nights on our boat along with many days and day trips. Our pump is still working fine, so it will be interesting to see how long it will last given your experience.

Rich
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jabsco has had reliability issues for some time. The new cd's are getting the Flojet variable speed and this pump is really well done. 4 1/2 months full time aboard last year and a couple so far this year. I expect no issues as we move aboard full time next month, and it's self priming. I would not use jabsco products personally. Their macerators have been notorious for yucky failures. Best of luck. George
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: