The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Fuel flow and economy - Marinaut 215
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who are interested in the Marinaut 215, we posted our final 2012 statistics for the Betty Ann in our album "C-Nile" under the below image link. We spent 33 days on our boat, travelled over 1,000 miles and averaged 4.6 mpg! Even so, the season felt too short to end, but that's New England. Thanks!

Rich

[img] http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=C-Nile&id=Betty_Ann_2012_Statistics&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php [/img]

Jake

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

I'm envious, work sure gets in the way. How many engine hours does that translate into?

Jake
C-Nile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jake,
I don't remember exactly, but we put over 100 hours on our engine this year. So that means we averaged 3 hours of run time per day of use. What is interesting is that averages to 10 miles per hour. We normally travel 15 mph to 22 mph about two-thirds of the time. There are a lot of slow-no-wake areas in our cruising grounds, which evidently makes a difference. Next year, I will be more precise with respect to tracking engine hours.

My wife and I are retired, which makes it easier for us to find time for boating. This year, marina gasoline reached very close to five dollars per gallon, so as we expected, the Marinaut is economical even with gasoline prices this high. In fact, in the near future gasoline could reach $7.50 per gallon, which is why we were careful to chose such a boat.

Rich
C-Nile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just posted the end of 2013 stats for the Betty Ann.

Fuel economy improved to 4.66 MPG overall, because we planned our trips more carefully to adjust for excessively windy conditions in the Sound this year.

As I promised from last year, I tracked engine hours. Our total 2013 engine hours were 75.4, so our average overall miles per hour was 12.3. I don't know what this really shows, however, because we have many areas of slow-no-wake in New England, and in many situations, places are too beautiful to speed through.

[img] http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1865&id=YEAR_END_copy&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php[/img]
C-Nile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of the end of July, 2014, we traveled 366 miles and averaged 5 miles per gallon. This was a first for us hitting this magic number -- last year we were at 4.7 mpg. As you are all aware, we keep track of the number of miles traveled over time, and the amount of gallons we use after every fill-up. So this is an accurate reflection of efficiency that was exclusively due to careful planning in timing of weather and tides. We are retired, so we have the luxury of choosing the best time for our trips. Choosing more favorable conditions has the added bonus of making my wife well pleased by affording her a more comfortable ride.
C-Nile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Nile wrote:
As of the end of July, 2014, we traveled 366 miles and averaged 5 miles per gallon. This was a first for us hitting this magic number -- last year we were at 4.7 mpg. As you are all aware, we keep track of the number of miles traveled over time, and the amount of gallons we use after every fill-up. So this is an accurate reflection of efficiency that was exclusively due to careful planning in timing of weather and tides. We are retired, so we have the luxury of choosing the best time for our trips. Choosing more favorable conditions has the added bonus of making my wife well pleased by affording her a more comfortable ride.

One caveat: I meant to say that our increase from 4.7 mpg miles to 5 mpg in 2014 was exclusively the result of careful trip planning. The major reasons for overall Marinaut efficiency are: its light weight, its hull design, and it's Honda 115 hp high torque, low RPM and high technology EFI engine.

Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: