The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Searching

View previous topic :: View next topic  
edfw

City/Region: alva
State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Searching Reply with quote

Looking at used 25 c- dory. Retired in fla on west coast. Would like to travel key west to appalacicola , lake ocachobee to west coast. Really like head with inside shower. Does boat handle well with single engine? Never have even seen one, let alone sea trialed it.complete newbie to c-dory boats. I,ve read the quality is questionable. I have a Boston whaler dauntless and now want some creature comforts,any comments are welcomed.
Don and Brenda

City/Region: Camano Island, Wa
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: R-27 Tug
Photos: C-Quest
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you want comfort, there is a TomCat available for about the price of a used 25, see right lower corner on the home page. Ok Charlie here is your opening. There is much info on this site about the quality, and no it is not questionable. Every boat no matter what the price point or name brand will have a few issue and certain years with different owners there were some minor issues that are easily corrected.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a 25 for sale in Punta Gorda

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=16723&highlight=gorda

c-ness

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C-weetness
Photos: C-weetness
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the C-brats. As others will surely tell you C-dory boats are pretty sturdy. I would not worry about the build quality. They have some of the comforts but a pretty simple. I second the thought of looking at Charlie's tomcat. It's a great deal.
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a nice Tomcat here in Apalachicola as well . New 25 on the way within the next month and a C Dory Gathering 10/21-10/23 . Lots of boats and owners !
Marc

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Searching Reply with quote

edfw wrote:
Really like head with inside shower.

Head was THE selling point for the Admiral. We have used the shower too, although sparingly.

Quote:
Does boat handle well with single engine?

Handles fine as long as you have the prop turning. When coming into the dock the boat does have a tendency to "wander", especially in a side-wind. The Admiral used to do all the close-quarters handling since I could fend-off better than she, but she has turned this chore over to me due to the above mentioned factor; it became too stressful for her. The hull is very flat bottomed and as a result, close quarters handling is challenging at times & it pounds at speed through anything more than a 2' chop, so a "go fast" it's not. But the hull is strong and I have complete confidence in our boat. I have traversed in some nasty small craft warnings and the boat was safe & secure.

Quote:
Never have even seen one, let alone sea trialed it.complete newbie to c-dory boats.

See if someone in your area would offer you a ride/look-see. I know there are some friendly C-Brats that may accommodate you.

Quote:
I,ve read the quality is questionable.

The quality of the boat is solid. I have no qualms about it.

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're probably (OK, certainly) a bit biased, but we think the 25 is a great boat. No issues whatsoever with build quality. If you want to see what cruising is like in Florida on a 25, look here...

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=5212&start=0

The first couple months of our cruising thread is our time in Florida, in 2007, on our 25. Since then, we've been all over with the boat (West Coast, Lake Powell, Pacific Northwest, mountain lakes, Canada, New York Canals, Gulf Coast, etc).

Trailerability was key for us in purchasing this boat; easy cruising for a couple (and a cat). Want to read more about cruising on the 25, including the buying/decision process? Check out the book in the signature below.

Welcome aboard, and good luck with your search.

Jim B.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The C Dory 25 handles very well with the single engine--which ranges from 130 to 200 hp. Agree that they are not offshore fast boats like the Contender or Regulator Deep V's. But they will take anything that the sea can dish out at slower speeds--and as noted up to 2 foot chop. We really don't have a lot of longer swells in the Gulf, but they handle that fine. Boat handling takes practice, and learning what the boat will do in the conditions. They have a bit more windage than some similar sized boats--but that is because they have a pilot house type of cabin, with the visibility and airiness. If you notice, some have been fitted with RV type air conditioners for our Florida weather.

As for quality--who told you that it was not good has now owned one. Percent wise there are probably more of the original of the C Dory around than any other boat. There are few if any which have been "junked"--I don't know of any other boat with that reputation. Remember that these are cored bottoms, and that if you drill holes you have to be sure they are sealed, and that epoxy lining is best for any cut outs.

I know it is a long drive, but if you get up to Apalachicola in about 10 days, you will get a great sampling of C Dories, as well as a great party.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Jeff Brigner

State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edfw

C-Pearl is the first boat Cathy & I have owned. I'm not sure how other boats handle but I can tell you that after playing a while we get along well on our single engine cd25. We have boated in your area as well as rivers and lakes around the Southeast. This includes locking through dams. Most times I handle the boat alone. This seems to work well for us. Smile

When we purchased our boat was around the same time Dr Austin was setting up Thataway, a TC-255 he recently sold. We compared notes and both had some of the same issues. No quality problems with the boat hull but some stupid things. Hatches that are not designed to keep water from leaking into the bilge from the cockpit, my sink drain was not hooked up, both of us and some others had plumbing connections that leaked while under pressure. It would have been nice if all systems had been checked before leaving the factory or by the dealer before delivery.
Dr Austin did a very thorough job of documenting everything he did setting up Thataway and issues he came across in the process.
You could check out his photo album and comments. I feel that would put your mind at ease about the quality and give you a lot of ideas on how to set up a CD25 or TC255.
We think these are cool boats. I really enjoy this site and meeting other owners at C-Dory gatherings. CoolSmile
Welcome, hope you have a great time and find what you need.

State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok...I'm ready for it.
I just checked in and saw what I wrote yesterday about "after playing a while". This is right up there with my post a few years back about the wifes poodle on the boat. Rolling Eyes
I need to go back to not signing in and posting. see ya Laughing
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeff--so what's wrong with poodles on the boat? We have one now and she loves the boat! As for "playing around"--OK "Messing around in boats" is right out of my favorite book (River rat to Mole).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Documents All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: