View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Prepping for ethanol use on a 22 Reply with quote

In the future don't think I can stay away from ethanol use, so am now in the process of changing out all the fuel lines. Pulled the tanks fuel pickups & they are very hard plastic & in good shape. Should these be replaced too & if so with what & where's a good place to purchase.

Jay

Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

City/Region: Port Orchard
State or Province: WA
Photos: Kitsap Marina
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't heard of issues with fuel pick ups. Any O rings should probably be renewed.

There is some discussion that fuel line replacement will become a maintenance issue, and I've heard figures in the 3-5 year range.

Ethonal Twisted Evil

360-895-2193
(888) 293-7991
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

The discussion about having to remove them is why I did. Thing is I can't remember what was said & can't find the discussion about it. The hard plastic pickups looked like new even after 11 years. With them already out would replace if I knew what material should be used. The rest of the fuel lines were in surprisingly good shape too though thought they should be replaced even without an ethanol issue..

Thanks for the help,

Jay
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay-

When I bought my 1987 CD-22 Cruiser used in 1998, I had issues almost immediately with the (then) new E-10 here in California. Had the carburetors rebuilt, and all fuel lines replaced, including intakes, vents, supply lines, etc. (On Edit: The old lines were not alcohol tolerant, and the ethanol alcohol loosened up all sorts of stuff in the entire fuel system.)

I was told by the dealer that the hoses ought to be replaced every 5 years due to their aging. They have the date of manufacture printed on them.

Well, it's 12 years later, and they still look good, and are still soft, supple, and not leaking or causing any problems.

If the boat were left out in the sun instead of an RV barn and, alternately, in a covered berth in freshwater, the story might be different, I suspect.

My approach is, therefore, to keep a close watch on them for signs of wear and replace as needed. The parts and labor to replace them all today is probably somewhere around $300 or so, by my "guestimate".

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

My approach was to do the same as you "keep a close watch & replace as needed" but I was forced to use one tank of E10 & know will have to use even more in the future so thought I'd prepare in advance.

Our boat is a 2000 & pretty sure the fuel lines are not ethanol tolerant. No writing on the lines at all. Was surprised to see what kind of material the pickups were made of. Thought they would be flexible rubber too & therefore the question if should I replace & with what if I should.

Jay
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Prepping for ethanol use on a 22 Reply with quote

Jay,
Some folks recommended cut the bottom of your fuel pickups on a 45 degree angle. Some folks with the plastic tanks had the tops of their tanks sag a little putting the fuel pick ups flat against the bottom of the tank and causing fuel starvation problems. I cut mine on a 45 degree angle. Even though that meant losing those little screens on the ends. I use what Yamaha recommends which is a 10 micron filter and luckily so far no bad stuff has gotten past it to my knowledge. I use Yamaha ring free (a carbon buster) and blue stabil on every fill up. Since the only place I can depend on ethanol free gas is in Florida I take no chances. When our boat was new I had an issue with a clogged filter out in Block Island Sound. I switched out it out with a spare that I had along and when I returned home pulled both tanks and found some pink looking jello like slime in the right tank. Since then no issues. Our boats sits from early December to March. It starts like I just turned it off in March. I just do oil changes and all the filters once a year. I'm a keep the tanks full sort of guy.
D.D.
D.D.

Hunkydory

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DD

Think instead of cutting the ends at 45 degree angle will do it in a V so there' no possibility of it laying on the cut side & still stopping fuel flow.  Maybe wrong but I too  don't see the need for the end screens with the twin racor fuel filters.  I too use  the 10 micron filters, blue stable & Yamaha ring free & keep fuel tanks full.  No fuel related problems yet in nine years of spring start ups or summer use & don't want any now with forced ethanol usage.

Anyone else have thoughts on cutting the end of the fuel pickup line in the shape of a V or 45 degrees & removal of the screen.

Jay
Chris

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Rana Verde
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay...I would be concerned that cutting the end of the pick up tube would reduce the amount of fuel it will draw. Seems to me it would suck air sooner if it was cut. I have never had any fuel/water problems and I think a contributing factor is that I suck the tanks completely dry fairly often. My theory is that this moves any contaminants to the filter in small increments where it can be removed. Not doing this might allow a build up to occur. The older models with the pick ups on the outboard end of the tanks prevented using all the fuel in the tank and I think they are more susceptible to problems.
Of course there is also the consideration that you sometimes really need that last quart!

Hunkydory

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, good point on cutting causing reduction in amount of fuel to draw.  Lucky for me the pickups are on the inward side.  During test & at other times like you have ran them totally empty on purpose.  Can't see fuel in either tank when they run dry.  That's a good thing & don't want it to change, so now debating on cutting very small v notches like 1/8 inch on end of line or nothing at all.  

Jay
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either the V Notch or the angle will accomplish the same effect of not have a chance for a flat surface to suck down to the bottom of the tank and stop fuel flow .Its alot easier to change a filter than take a tank apart to clean a screen, plus there is exponentially more media to filter with in a racor or regular spin on .
I have seen the nylon pickup tubes become brittle and break off towards the top of the tank . Cant be sure if it was due to ethanol , or just a cheap Carolina Skiff tank . But it was unexpected .
If I had my druthers I would have an aluminum pickup tube .
Marc

Hunkydory

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc, do you sell or know where I can purchase two aluminum pick up assembly's that would fit the CD 22, year 2000, twin 20 gal tanks.

Jay
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay
My fuel tanks leave an inch or two of fuel when I run out. Near as I can tell a couple gallons. So 25 gallon tank can only use 23 gallons. I would like to redo the pickups in my tanks as well. I think mine comes from the level floor and the pickup being forward in the tanks and straight up and down. I read some where about somebody changing theirs to like what's in a snowmobile the pickup is horizontal with flexible hose and a weight to keep it on the bottom. Aluminum tube available at auto parts store could be bent to pickup at the rear of the tank. Could use stainless as well available at tube supply like Marmon Keystone in Salt Lake. Submersible hose made by Gates Rubber could be used too. Can you take some pictures of the pickup? Do your tanks sit level or do they slope because of the bottom? Are there screens on the bottom of the pickup?

Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jody

Tanks slope & pick up location is in a good spot. I believe that's the reason they drain all visible fuel before running empty. With the 20 gal tanks can add a gal or two extra & get just over 20 gal usable fuel out of each tank. Its working so well hate to mess with this at all & wouldn't even be thinking about it except for the ethanol issue. As you can see there are screens on the bottom of the hard plastic pick up tubes. What I was hoping to do was find a set up already made like the one shown that I can cut to exact length made of aluminum or stainless. As someone else mentioned the tanks do flex & noticed the stiff plastic is slightly bent to the side. This occurred with both pick ups & didn't stop fuel flow when they made contact with the tank bottom. Think the hard plastic is just flexible enough to allow some bending which keeps the bottom screen at a angle when it contacts the bottom of the tank. Do to this working out so well for the last 11 years am now reluctant to change to other material. Was hoping to find others thoughts on it holding up to ethanol & for how long. Wouldn't be adverse at all to keeping it the same set up with a change out every so many years if that would work. The flexible hose with a weight like you suggest may work well to with ethanol proof flexible rubber.

Jay
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, Ill have to do a little research . One of the tank makers might make them with the correct fittings at the top .
Marc
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay
It looks like the bottom of your tank follows the slope of the floor. That would seem to help run the tank all the way to empty. If my pickup looks like yours I would guess mine is to short. I guess I will have to take mine apart and have a look. Thanks for the pictures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: