The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

C-Dory 25 vs C-Dory 22
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grutledge

City/Region: Brentwood Bay
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: C-Dory 25 vs C-Dory 22 Reply with quote

Hi, I have been looking for a C-Dory 22 for the last month or so. Recently a C-Dory 25 came up for sale in my area, so I am now considering that.

My original reason for going with the CD22 was that I could tow it easily with my X-terra (max 5000 lb towing capacity), whereas the CD25 is pushing the limits based on loaded weight. In all truth, the boat will likely be at the marina and I would only haul the boat out occasionally to winterize or work on it. In this case I would be happy towing it the short distance from the ramp with my Xterra or a friend's truck.

I also like the CD22 since there are so many of them around and they seem to have such a great reputation. I don't see nearly as many CD25.

One possible advantage of going with the CD25 is that the extra space might be useful in a few years as my kids get older. I have a 7 and a 9 year old, and I expect the CD-22 will be large enough for the next couple of years, but after that ...

Any other comments or comparisons to help me decide between the two?

Thanks

Glen
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going to be well over 5000# and probably closer to 7500# for a fully loaded 25CD on the trailer. So you won't just be pushing the limits, you'll need a different tow vehicle. That said, the 25 will provide more room for the family and has the benefit of the fully enclosed head. Just don't try to trick yourself into believe that the X-Terra will be an adequate tow vehicle for it.
grutledge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger - thanks for the info. I think you are likely right since I have heard that a CD22 is pushing 5000 lbs fully loaded. The part I find confusing is that the C-Dory manufacturer's site makes the following claim for the C-Dory 25 specifications (see http://www.c-dory.com/boats/classic/cruiser-25/25%27%20Cruiser.pdf):

"Average towing weight is 4800 lbs. (boat, motor, trailer and fuel)."

So if there wasn't a lot of extra gear, which there wouldn't be if I am just towing it from the local ramp to my house (about 2 km), it seemed like it might be possible. Even at this weight I wouldn't think of towing it further than the local ramp with my XTerra.

Do you think the site has mis-quoted this number? Or are you thinking there would be another 2500 lbs in gear, water etc?

Thanks

Glen
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son has a 2007 X-Terra, and I've driven it and towed with it. I myself have a Dodge Durango, rated at about 7500 lbs, and we have three boats that we tow with them:

1. 24 foot pontoon boat, weighs about 2300 lbs on the trailer.

2. 22 foot C-Dory Cruiser, weighs about 4300 on a tandem axle trailer, and

3, 26.6 foot Sea Ray Sedan Cruiser, weighs about 8500-9000 lbs on a triple axle aluminum trailer.

The Durango has nearly twice the extra power and weight handling capacity of the X-Terra, at least from the feel of the vehicle when towing, despite the numbers in the books. It tows the pontoon boat almost like it isn't there, except for the windage and cross-wind. It tows the CD-22 well, and is matched well to towing, stopping, launching, mountain crossing, etc. It can launch, retrieve and tow the Sea Ray, but is limited to about 50 mph and very careful driving on either the freeway or backroads. It's really overloaded, but does the task. No long steep mountain passes, long tows, etc.

The X-Terra can tow the pontoon boat, which is within it's range, but it struggles with the CD-22, and my son doesn't like to tow it, as it's a bit of a strain on the much lighter X-Terra. The CD-22 seems to be on the upper limit of the X-Terra's capacity. The Sea Ray, which is about as big as a CD-25 or slightly larger, is a no-way proposition with the X-Terra.

That's our experience, at least, there may be model differences within these wo vehicles that might affect the capacities, slightly.

Good Luck, whichever you choose!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Tom on Icarus

City/Region: Campbell River, Vancouver Island
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tranquil~C
Photos: Tranquil~C
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Glen,

I just sent you a PM on the subject.

Cheers, Tom
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for comparison, when we moved last year I weighed our boat at the city scale. 22 Cruiser, Yami 80 and 8 kicker, fuel tanks half full, and our normal load of stuff on our tandem axle Pacific trailer. She weighed in at 4660 pounds.

Rick

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
Don and Brenda

City/Region: Camano Island, Wa
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: R-27 Tug
Photos: C-Quest
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search on CD 25 weight, lots of info on the incorrect #'s from the factory site.
bjidzik

City/Region: Juneau
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Betty Joe
Photos: Betty Joe
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife & I went with the CD 25' for the extra storage space & amenities. Even for the two of us, storage on the 25' can be a challenge. The head was a must have item.

We pay someone to tow us in/out when needed. We rent a slip during the summer. We haul out for winter & pay for storage between November-April. Sure beats the price of a bigger truck.

Brian & Helen Idzik
grutledge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info. I have learned never to trust a manufacturer's specification of weight! Thank you for pointing this out to me! I like the idea of just paying someone with a truck to haul out and launch once a year.

Thanks again

Glen
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I would not say CD22 "versus" CD25 - yes, you have a choice, but it is not a boxing match or anything! They are different boats. I have owned both a CD22 and a CD25. With kids, you almost certainly will appreciate the extra elbow room of the CD25. The enclosed head might or might not be important, it is to us. The CD22 is easier to tow, easier to launch and retrieve, and more economical to operate. It is a great boat. But it will definitely seem small and crowded with two kids on-board. The CD25 is a great boat too, if you want the extra elbow room and amenities like a head, a hot water heater and a pressurized water system.

There are fewer CD25s because they have been making CD22s since the beginning, but only introduced the CD25 in 1996, when they made only six boats, and then reintroduced it in either 2002 or 2003 (somebody else will have to confirm which year). They upgraded it significantly in 2005, and had only a couple of good years before the Reynolds C-Dory company imploded, followed by all the other stuff that happened with the Great Recession.

Bottom line, assess what you plan to do with the boat, maybe take a test ride on each one to get a feel how it would meet your requirements. I am betting with two kids, you will want the CD25 even if it means a new tow vehicle (and it sure sounds like it will).

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't compare a 22 with a 25, since I've only cruised on the 25. However, here are a few points on the 25 that I enjoy.

First, are there 3 of you or 4? Hey, I started cruising with just me and the kids. If you have a wife, check with her to see if she wants an enclosed head or not. We just had our grandkids on board for the summer and the head was wonderful, giving everyone some privacy.

Second, more room is always nice. Kids tend to spread out, they always bring friends (especially when they become teenagers,) and everyone's happier.

Third the 25 is easy to launch/retrieve, just crank it up. Easier than any other boat I owned, though we have a roller trailer. Towing is up to you, but going a mile or so, I assume any vehicle with low range can handle it. The 25 isn't unstable, it just weighs 7000-8000#

Next, most 25's have a refrigerator for your beer. Actually Judy only allows me to have 2 beer in there at any given time. And I have to replace them. But they're still cold. I know refrigs are bad, a 22 can have one, etc.

Last, whatever CD you buy, you'll enjoy it.

Boris
schiavolou

City/Region: Wilton Creek, VA
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Skimmer
Photos: Skimmer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glen,
There are a couple of threads on this topic that you may want to look up. Here's my $.02 worth:

We had a 22 for one season and loved it, though we felt a little cramped when spending weekends aboard. Then we got a deal we couldn't refuse on a 25 and traded up. After two seasons , no regrets.
Pros of the 25:
more room in cabin and cockpit
more power w/150 vs 90hp
more amenities - windlass, shore power (you can get these on a 22), head w/shower.
fewer pier-strollers say "cute boat"

Cons:
harder to trailer
more systems to maintain
everything, from slip fees to routine maintenance to insurance is more costly

Still we went with the 25 even tho' it cost about 50% more, and cost WAS an object.
Lou S.
Skimmer (II)

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We considered a 22 briefly and concluded the space and head of the 25 were well worth the money.

Also,

22 classic cockpit feels like sitting in a hole compared to the raised, wider 25 deck

bigger roof on the 25 carries dingies of larger sizes and still has room to make you way around them

Aisleway in the cabin is much more accomadating for passing a person.

Taller cabin height standard is a plus if you are tall like me 6'3"

We have a young kid and we all sleep in the v-berth without trouble which keeps the table a table and we like it that way. She can go to sleep before us as we snap the curtain up for the v-berth and still have the main cabin to ourselves for the rest of the evening.

This goes on and on in other threads....

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
retnavy

City/Region: Hampton Roads Virginia
State or Province: VA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go big early, that applies to a lot of things but many of us find ourselves wanting a larger boat shortly after the new wears off the present boat. I presently have 3 footitis and my wife has visions of even larger. I remember being very happy with the tiny 16 foot aluminum john boat that cost very little to operate and was very inexpensive to fix..
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had a 22 for six years. We've been on it for as long as 5 weeks without a night off the boat. It is excellent for the two of us but for three would be too tight. We have considered a 25, seriously, and have concluded that it is not for us. I personally like the idea that there are no hidden systems on the 22, no hot water system to break, no macerator to need attention, no fuel tank under the deck, no shower to worry about, etc., etc. But... the 25 does have more range, hot water, a head so no porta-potti and more privacy, There are two real differences I think; the most important being the head; that seems to be the deciding factor in many 25 choices. The other real difference is that the 25 handles seas better than the 25. Either one is a very good, solid boat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: