The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

How about...a Marinaut 25?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbgale wrote:
The kind of head you need is where your head is. I would have missed all that inside.

And, if it HAD been inside, with no lights and no moonlight, you might have "missed" it altogether! Rolling Eyes Mr. Green

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great thread. Prior to buying the first Marinaut, Betty and I would like to add that when we were looking at boats, we had a very specific list of things we were looking for in a boat:
1) Enclosed head
2) Superior fuel economy. The way we figure it, within the next 5 to 7 years, fuel costs could approach $10 per gallon. We want a boat to run -- not to just sit in a slip, so if we have a boat with up to twice the fuel economy of other similarly sized boats, we will still be able to afford running the boat. Not only that, but when/if we go to sell the boat, it should demand a much higher resale price do to its substantially greater fuel efficiency.
3) A large, comfortable berth.
4) An amply sized dinette for two people
5) A total cost substantially less than $100,000
6) Cabin heater
7) No plastic gas tanks that would otherwise eventually cause odors
Cool Radar
9) A good size cockpit
10) Reduced roll - low center of gravity.
11) The ability to have a sharp bow that can be brought down into oncoming waves (this was important, because we could not get the bow of our CD 16 down in heavy seas at an appreciable rate of speed.
12) We did not want a balsa core. We had a balsa core in our 2006 CD 16, and a crack in the cockpit floor developed due to a manufacturing defect that cost us $1,000 to repair. In all fairness, we have moderated from this viewpoint somewhat. A balsa-cored boat is fine if good quality control is exercised.
13) Shallow draft. We have shallow water in the Northeast, so having a shallow water boat is a necessity for rivers, large streams and shallow bays.

So we looked at Rosoboroghs, which were out of our price range. We looked at the Atlas Acadia, which had too big a draft, was over $100,000, and required extensive modification to meet our criteria. There were some great European boats for over $100,000. It seemed that the only boats that met our criteria were some C-Dory models and the Marinaut. When we looked into purchasing a new C-Dory, we were fearful of buying one, because the website showed all these dealers that were no longer dealers. We think that Triton is probably a wonderful organization, but in our humble opinion, they need to do some better marketing, because we might have purchased a CD 25.

So that left us the only boat that met all of our criteria except for one in not having an enclosed head: the Marinaut 215. We had to give up something. So as Les put it, do we really want to pay $40,000 more for a head, and all the added complexity and weight that goes with it? To us, if we had to give up something, it would be the enclosed head.

So regarding the Portable Toilet, it works great at night when we place it on the dinette floor in a very comfortable position in front of the folded down dinette table. There is privacy afforded by the copilot seat chair back. If a person wants complete privacy, the other person, or persons need leave the person alone in the cabin. We also need to remark on the wonderful benefits of the portable, folding PET toilet for solid waste. It is roughly the same size and height of your normal toilet at home. So what if it costs $2 for each use of a disposable bag; it's worth it. When we my wife or I need to use it, one of us left the cabin to the other for privacy.

Really, the Marinaut is an ideal cruising boat for two people, and could be probably modified to accommodate a third similar to what is done on many C-Dory models. It is a great boat for a ride with 4 or 5 people, and the portable toilet should work out fine. Besides, we bought our boat for ourselves -- not others. If others want a head, they can purchase their own boat that has one.

Finally, I don't think people fully understand that the entire deck is sealed. No water is present between the deck and the hull. All water runs to a generous sump where it is pumped out of the boat. To clean the cockpit floor, we washed down the deck and let the bilge pump out the water, which it did so quickly. And a were about self-bailing cockpits -- they are not as safe as many would think. If the cockpit is pooped from a following wave, for example, the weight of the water in the cockpit would submerge the scuppers. Given that the floor is raised, possibly creating a higher center of gravity, the next ugly step could be for the boat to roll over belly up. That's why we C-Brats love the C-Dory's and now the Marinaut. They are safe boats, in our opinion.

Thanks!

Rich and Betty

C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great thread. Prior to buying the first Marinaut, Betty and I would like to add that when we were looking at boats, we had a very specific list of things we were looking for in a boat:
1) Enclosed head
2) Superior fuel economy. The way we figure it, within the next 5 to 7 years, fuel costs could approach $10 per gallon. We want a boat to run -- not to just sit in a slip, so if we have a boat with up to twice the fuel economy of other similarly sized boats, we will still be able to afford running the boat. Not only that, but when/if we go to sell the boat, it should demand a much higher resale price do to its substantially greater fuel efficiency.
3) A large, comfortable berth.
4) An amply sized dinette for two people
5) A total cost substantially less than $100,000
6) Cabin heater
7) No plastic gas tanks that would otherwise eventually cause odors
Cool Radar
9) A good sized cockpit
10) Reduced roll - low center of gravity.
11) The ability to have a sharp bow that can be brought down into oncoming waves (this was important, because we could not get the bow of our CD 16 down in heavy seas at an appreciable rate of speed.
12) We did not want a balsa core. We had a balsa core in our 2006 CD 16, and a crack in the cockpit floor developed due to a manufacturing defect that cost us $1,000 to repair. In all fairness, we have moderated from this viewpoint somewhat. A balsa-cored boat is fine if good quality control is exercised.
13) Shallow draft. We have shallow water in the Northeast, so having a shallow water boat is a necessity for rivers, large streams and shallow bays.

So we looked at Rosoboroghs, which were out of our price range. We looked at the Atlas Acadia, which had too big a draft, was over $100,000, and required extensive modification to meet our criteria. There were some great European boats for over $100,000. It seemed that the only boats that met our criteria were some C-Dory models and the Marinaut.

So that left us the only boat that met all of our criteria except for one in not having an enclosed head: the Marinaut 215. We had to give up something. So as Les put it, do we really want to pay $40,000 more for a head, and all the added complexity and weight that goes with it? To us, if we had to give up something, it would be the enclosed head.

Regarding the Portable Toilet, it works great at night when we place it on the dinette floor in a very comfortable position in front of the folded down dinette table. There is privacy afforded by the copilot seat chair back. If a person wants complete privacy, the other person, or persons need leave the person alone in the cabin. We also need to remark on the wonderful benefits of the portable, folding PET toilet for solid waste. It is roughly the same size and height of your normal toilet at home. So what if it costs $2 for each use of a disposable bag? The cost is worth it. When Betty or I need to use it, one of us left the cabin to the other for privacy.

Really, the Marinaut is an ideal cruising boat for two people, and could be modified to accommodate a third similar to what is done on many C-Dory models. It is a great boat for a ride with 4 to 6 people, and the portable toilet should work out fine. Besides, we bought our boat for ourselves -- not others. If others want a head, they can purchase their own boat that has one.

Finally, I don't think people fully understand that the entire deck is sealed. No water is present between the deck and the hull. All water runs to a generous sump where it is pumped out of the boat. To clean the cockpit floor, we washed down the deck and let the bilge pump out the water, which it did so quickly. And a word about self-bailing cockpits -- they are not as safe as many would think. If the cockpit of a raised deck, scuppered boat is pooped from a following wave, for example, the weight of the water in the cockpit could submerge the stern and its scuppers. Given that the floor is raised, possibly creating a higher center of gravity, the next ugly step could be for the boat to roll over belly up (i.e., broach.) That's why we C-Brats love the C-Dory's and now the Marinaut. They are safe boats, in our opinion.

Thanks!

Rich and Betty
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any further developments on this vision? This sounds like a great boat to fish four and cruise two. I would think a model with no water tanks or galley, a caset toliet and a small bench seat with a backrest that folds to provide a counter top on the starboard side would be the cats pajamas. For what little we actually use the sink and stove, we could easily get by with a dish pan and a camp stove and use that space for seating.

I like the one piece floor, light weight and low profile tow friendly concept.

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a web site where we can look at a conceptual drawing of the Marinaut 25, or are you asking for input here?

Boris
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Marinaut facebook page has a few drawings

I figure I could make money with a boat like this (in my cosmic accounting system)

sell B~C $25k
$$ not spent on monster truck 25k
$$ not spent on camp trailer 25k
$$ not spent on B~C upgrades 15k
$$ not spent on many gallons of extra fuel 10k

If the mega marinaut was $80k, I'd be up 20k Smile
Chester

City/Region: home
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Marinaut's facebook page concerning the 25 it states "Alternately the forward dinette seat can be a regular helm style seat for more comfort if the bench style seat isn't needed."
Does this mean if you spec the option of a bench seat a forward facing navigators seat isn't possible at all or only while configured as a bench seat.
I like a bench and a forward facing seat. Not necessarily at the same time though.
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
Is there a web site where we can look at a conceptual drawing of the Marinaut 25, or are you asking for input here?

Boris

Hi Boris,

Right now the drawings are on our Facebook page. I'll put them on the Marinaut website when I get the final drawings done. We're still messing with the cabin top and transom arrangement a bit.

I've added a drawing here; below is a drawing showing the interior arrangement.

Please feel free to add any feedback you'd like here, it's really the best place I have unless you'd rather send me an email driectly at les @ marinautboats dot com.

www.marinautboats.com
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chester wrote:
On Marinaut's facebook page concerning the 25 it states "Alternately the forward dinette seat can be a regular helm style seat for more comfort if the bench style seat isn't needed."
Does this mean if you spec the option of a bench seat a forward facing navigators seat isn't possible at all or only while configured as a bench seat.
I like a bench and a forward facing seat. Not necessarily at the same time though.

Hi Chester,

You can have almost anything you like as long as we can figure out how to build it.

The two basic concepts I had to this point are:

1) a typical bench seat with a back that moves to accommodate facing the dinette table or facing forward

2) replace the bench seat with a soild top and install a helm-style seat (that swivels and slides fore-and-aft)

The bench seat would be more versatile but the helm-style seat would likely be more comfortable (and secure in rough water).

Mostly I'm just trying to give folks choices so if either of those two ideas don't work out I'm totally open to others.

Les
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: