The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

How about...a Marinaut 25?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
If you were going to do a 27' Marinaut, I'd look for something that's quite a bit different and go with a layout and design that's similar to the (one-off?) 27' C-Dory that Aviq has. That's a completely different boat and I can't think of a competitor to it in the current marketplace. I and several others here have lusted after this boat. I don't quite know exactly why, I just think it's a cool cabin design that provides for a lot more room.

Hey! I know that boat! Smile I went to pick it up in Gig Harbor when it was purchased and towed it back here for some upgrades to get it ready to go for the new owner so I got to be around it for some time.

The complaint I normally get on a pilothouse boat (like this one or a Nordic 26, etc) is that in a short length there's a lot of up-and-down travel as one moves from aft cabin to pilothouse to forward cabin. Also, some folks don't seem to care for being "down" in the aft cabin where you can't see out all the way around when at the dinette and such. I know that's a really personal thing but that has a lot of affect on sales.

As cool as us guys think a raised pilothouse boat is I get the feeling that most ladies prefer a boat where the cabin is open, light, and airy and where the whole group onboard can be together. No?

Les

www.marinautboats.com
Les Lampman
Dealer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
starcrafttom wrote:
I will agree with Roger bum about the 27 pilot house. I really liked that boat and the sea sport 27 pilot house. large table and a raised captains chair with a co pilot seat. The one draw back to my 27 is not forward seat for susan. but I would go with a outboard OR a one level rear deck. I hate the raised motor hatch.

I also hate the IO motor hatch and would replace that will (Les will love this) a bracket and and OB (or an OB hung on the transom).

Roger,

There's nothing wrong with a well designed bracket when retrofitting an existing boat. The one on Tom's boat works great.

My comment regarding brackets was only intended to take in new boats. Unless (as a manufacturer) you're going to offer a boat with a full-height flat transom so that you can offer multiple power sources I don't see resorting to a bracket.

Brackets really began to be common when modern outboards really came into their own (reliable and with lots of horsepower) and manufacturers building I/O powered boats then started offering brackets to accommodate outboards.

It still makes more sense to me to offer a bracket to add something you don't already have rather than design specifically for a bracket. I'm sure there are exceptions but I don't see them in the type of boats we're building. We don't offer an I/O powered model so if we wanted to use a bracket I'd still have to change the mold to get rid of the motorwell. At that point it's just as easy to change the mold to just add the 30" the typical bracket adds.

Les
Les Lampman
Dealer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob & Karen wrote:

Les,

When I think about a new boat, it is fully cruise ready and very comfortable to live and cruise on for 2-3 months at a time. I would be comparing it to the Rosborough 246 and Ranger 27. Hopefully it would be not quite so heavy as a RF246 and not as complicated as the R27....I like outboard power. For me the proposed uses would be the Great Loop, river cruising, the Bahamas, wintering in the Florida Keys, etc. A 27 would allow more storage, more gas tankage (maybe 120 gallons), more water tankage (maybe 75 gallons), larger battery bank, space for an inverter, generator storage, etc. A propane stove/oven combo would be nice as well. It would also have a larger cockpit, and larger v-berth. If it is longer, it will probably be at least a little taller just for asthetics, which will provide more headroom. In short, everything you need to spend alot of time on the boat, with little time required in marinas or plugged in to a power source.

Also, I think the 8.5' beam is important. I want to be able to pull it out and trailer it whenever and wherever I want. I don't want to apply for permits, nor do I want to worry about being pulled over and ticketed for a wide load. If I couldn't have those things, I would not bother with a trailerable boat. Instead, I would go with a used, non-trailerable 35-40' boat.

Of course I understand you are going to have to build what you think you can sell the most of. I am just trying to put into words what my dream boat looks like. Good luck with whatever you decide to build.

Rob

Rob,

This is good stuff and thanks for taking the time to post it. I do want to know what folks' dream boats are (in the sizes we're contemplating).

And oddly enough, it's not about building what I think we can sell the most of in a purely bean-counter kind of way. I want to build boats people fall in love with. I'd rather build 12 well-loved boats a year than two dozen "they're ok" boats. It was never my intention to be in the mass produced boat business; much the same way that a custom home builder (are there any left?) isn't really interested in building a whole sub-division of spec homes. So finding out what folks really want in a boat is a very important thing for me so that when/if we build it, it meets the expectations of the folks that are most likely to purchase and use it (and hopefully love it).

Now, to be totally realistic...if we go to 27-feet it's going to be awfully difficult to weigh much less than the RF-246 as it's not a particularly heavy boat. It becomes heavy by virtue of being 27.5' long (with the hull extension), by having a 120-gallon fuel capacity, by carrying 40-odd gallons of water, by accommodating large batteries, by having lots of storage, and by (usually) having a couple of heavy motors on the stern.

And here's another thing that usually comes up...a self-bailing deck. Up until the boat becomes large enough to carry the height of sides (depth of hull) necessary to honestly get the cockpit deck high enough off the water to be really self-bailing then it's more useful on the trailer for hosing out the cockpit. Any weight in the cockpit pushes the stern down enough so that the self-bailing feature becomes a self-filling feature. This is actually the case on the RF-246 as well.

We didn't try to get a self-bailing deck in the M215 and it isn't in the proposed Marinaut 25, and because (so far) the M27 would be a stretched 25 it wouldn't be in that model either.

Since we have saddle fuel tanks there's no need to raise the cockpit deck to accommodate an under the floor fuel tank. Also we don't want a step down into the cabin. I also feel that when folks are leaning over the side of the boat (to rinse their hands, to handle a fish, to grab a crab/shrimp float, etc) that it's much safer if they're not reaching over with their feet far above the waterline, which very much invites a tail-over-teakettle situation (ending in a big splash). And finally, we want to stick with the one-piece "floor pan" and not end up with joints and seams that can leak. It's a lot easier (and has better results) if the floor pan drops right onto the "step" that's built into the hull to accept the lip of the floor pan; a lot of elevation change would make that a real challenge.

Again I'll go back to wanting to keep the profile low and the boat as light as we can. I don't want it to have huge slab sides.

I do wonder if folks are so programmed to expect (want/need) a self-bailing deck on a 27-footer that without it our boat would not be accepted.

Les
Les Lampman
Dealer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bess-C wrote:
Wow Les,
Did you ever stir up a hornet's nest. My suggestion is to skip all of the intervening steps over the next 15 years and just build the 45 footer now. That will allow you to have berths for 8 and 2 heads with showers. You can cruise with your extended family and have a table for 8 on the sun deck. You can also add enough fuel to go to Alaska and 200 gallons of water.

The commercial license might be a little inconvenient, but if you keep the height low enough and the beam under 15 feet, a used Peterbilt will take you all over America.
Lyle

Smile

May the powers-that-be forever hold me in enough favor to keep me from ever wanting to build a 45-footer.

Les
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: How about...a Marinaut 25? Reply with quote

self draining decks seem to be the norm on the east coast anyway, if you can do it in the design phase I think it would be a good idea. Otherwise folks would feel the need to keep the back covered if moored or on a dock with out shore power.
D.D.

Les Lampman
Dealer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Uffelman wrote:
Here's the 28' that may do what you want in the M27 dream boat.

http://oceanlines.biz/2009/03/north-pacific-28-is-an-affordable-pocket-trawler/

http://www.cmdboats.com/trailertrawler28.htm

Bill Uffelman
Las Vegas NV

Goodness Bill, I'm familiar with that boat and with Karl Stambaugh (I own several of his plans). In fact I first found the 28 when you could still buy plans for it, and almost did it. Now I wish I had since they're no longer available. I looked the boat over pretty carefully on the North Pacific Yacht website some time ago.

At 11,000 pounds (empty) and with that raised pilothouse she's sort of the antithesis of what I had in mind for the Marinaut. Smile

Les
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I get the concept that you want simple and light--and if folks want more-it can be done. I am a bit torn on that issue--since I always end up loading up a boat--because we do at least month trips--and want semi luxuries, as well as storage. That also fits with those who are retiring and doing the loop--and still want light weight boats for towing....

Getting back to the seating--and what Bill Uffelman suggested on the layout of the North Pacific 28. It has the side settee. We made an RV in a van expanded to 8 feet, using just that type of settee, and it was our main bunk (folding out to 48" wide) as well as dining for 4. How important is a forward facing seat?--or can one put a pedestal seat forward if it is essential (for example I have a helm type of seat on the forward platform of my Caracal, which is early removed). On the other hand, Marie rarely sat in the forward seat of the C Dory 25 or Tom Cat--often sat athwart ships in the rear seat with a good book.

The 6' 6" settee on the port side, which easily seats 4--two tables easily removed from pedistals--and light weight will give the eating room. This still preserves the isle. The bottom cushion is in 3 sections--two make the back rest, and fold down when in bunk mode.

Isn't the interior "semi custom" anyway--since currently it is done by hand? So the interior design could be fit to what ever the buyer wanted? For example I might want the port side head, wider, and the settee/gaucho and a long galley, instead of the dinette, stb side head and shorter galley.

As for self bailing; It was impressed in my brain by my father about 70 years ago that a self bailing cockpit was very desirable in any offshore boat. I considered that a "weakness" of the C Dory 22--but in reality, it never was a problem (but we kept the back covered most of the time with canvas).
Most fishermen do like the self bailing feature--wash down the deck to get rid of the blood and scales! Safety wise, with a light boat, and the way these are used--maybe not as much of an issue. I would buy a 255 without a self bailing cockpit.

One final comment on the head. We found the C Dory 25 to harder to use (related to my size @ 6' 2" 180 lbs) that the Tom Cat--and there is only a few inches difference--plus some headroom less in the 25. As for showering--it was rare we showered in either, but sponge baths were common--less water, and less mess.

Certainly an interesting discussion!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: How about...a Marinaut 25? Reply with quote

We were at a boat show in Newport R.I. a couple weeks ago and saw a Rosbourgh(sp?) that had a hull extention built under the outboard motors bracket. They said it helped keep the bow down. The scuppers for the self bailing cockpit came right thru the hull extention and stuck out to the rear of it about three inches. They had flexible hoses clamped on to the the ends of the scupper drains with a small cord attached to the far end of the hose so you could pull up on the hose so it would fold over and be up out of the water so that if you had a extra weight or people in the cockpit these hoses being folded over would prevent water from entering the scupppers. They had a little cord lock set up so you could let the hose fall back straight and the scuppers could drain normally. You can always furnish drain plus for scuppers but I don't know if what I saw was a Rosborugh deal or something the dealer who I believed was from Maine had rigged up. The boat had twin 115hp ETEC's
D.D.
Bill Uffelman

City/Region: Las Vegas
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les I wasn't suggesting the 28' for you to build, someone had a wish list and I thought of the 28' as a boat that met that list.

I'm all for the M25 as described.

Bill Uffelman
In Ocean View DE for a couple of weeks
nimrod

City/Region: Mount Vernon
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Berta's Boy
Photos: 'Berta's Boy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, when I find myself thinking about a 25' C-Dory, I always get jolted back to reality when I realize I'd need a bigger truck. Since I have no intention of buying a bigger truck just so I can tow a boat, a 25' Marinaut w/the specs Les is talking about just might be do-able.

jd
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les, WOW, you have really taken on the tiger by the tail. So I still have, and love my CD-22. My wish list for it is a head and shower. (Not a sun shower in the open cockpit Embarassed . So Don't know if that will ever happen but here you are starting out fresh so how about;

To decrease some weight, water and tankage requirement? An Air Head. No holding tank requirements, and no flush water required. There are several in service on the C-Dory fleet and I have not heard anything but good about them.

Not sure if it would work to combine the air head and a shower enclosure, but if so, that drain would go to a gray water tank, like the same as the sink drain, eliminating the black water holding tank, macerator pump, and the extra flush water usage.

I agree that a 4 seater table with a forward facing copilot seating is a must. (either a reversible seat or a permanent one) and maybe you can get more table side length with a parallelogram shape than a rectangle. If the acute angle was on the outside, forward port corner, there might be rom for a pedistile type mate seat closer to center, but not blocking v-birth access. Just my thoughts.

Wishing you the best,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

I think I would like to stay with the smaller, lighter version of build.

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les, on further thought and reflection, what you really need to build is the Marinauti-cat. Wink
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marinaut 26 sounds cooler

Wink

Les Lampman
Dealer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KickerDRB wrote:

Les,

OK fair enough, That is why you build the boats. I don't want to hijack your thread, so maybe sometime in the future could you drop me a line or post your thoughts on the pros/cons and design aspects of brackets/extended transoms. I am always looking for the next boat so any education you would be willing to impart would be appreciated.

My experience with ET's is limited to the typical Alaska boat (Hewescraft) and the old threads about Beer:Thirty

thanks,
Dave

Hi Dave,

You're not hijacking the thread, they're good questions.

Hewescraft is in the same position as the other builders that make boats to accept multiple types of power. They already have models with full height transoms (no motorwells) to handle the inboard engine with the jets (or even an outdrive) so they get another model pretty easily by offering the same hull with a bracket for the folks that want outboards.

It's different though (and least I maintain it is) when you're designing from scratch and you only offer outboard engine power. In that case we'd have never built a boat previously with a full height transom so none of our boats would accept a bracket without modification to the mold. And if you're going to modify the mold, why not just make the hull 30" longer?

I guess the key point in all this is for a bracket to make sense the boat really needs to be offered with more than only outboard power (or at least it was in the past), otherwise it would already have a motorwell.

In theory we could offer two boats based on the Marinaut 215. The base boat could be the currently offered model. A second version could the the same hull and cabin but with the hull and cabin/deck molds altered to eliminate the motorwell, then offered with a bracket. The second version would have a larger cockpit. But I don't think the expense of building a second set of molds would prove to be a financially sound choice.

Further, with the bracket you end up with a 24' boat. If I'm going to go there I'd rather add something more than just a bracket to the boat (since I have to change the molds anyway). I'd like to also tweak the interior to give up a bit more space and I'd probably take the boat out to 8' 6" in width.

Les
Les Lampman
Dealer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How about...a Marinaut 25? Reply with quote

Will-C wrote:
I'm in Rob and Karen's corner. I think their are a lot of folks retired or getting ready to retire and are planning on being loopers than people realize. Two of the folks I cruise with who formerly owned C-Dory 22' are in this category. One has already purchased a new truck and a new 27' Ranger Tug. The other guy is looking at Rossies and American Tugs. I plan to try it on our 23 if we ever get around to making the trip. The additional time spent living on a boat has people looking for something relatively fuel efficient,a decent ride with the room to have amenities along to make the trip a little more comfortable for the women that are a part of the crew as Rob mentioned. Usually longer boats ride a little better. I would not be for going over the 8.5 beam as permits road limitations might be a deal breaker for some. Why not draw up a 27 concept see how people react. Stretching a 215 just enough to add a potty/shower would not make it that much more attractive to potential loopers IMHO.
D.D

Thanks! Smile

I'm among those wishing to do all or parts of the Great Loop so I'm happy for the input. I also want to be able to tow the boat so that I can move as weather dictates. And there are lots of other places that I'd like to boat that are not accessible from the Loop and trailering is a great way to get there.

I (more or less) know what to do with the extra space between the M215 and an M25. I guess the Great Debate in my mind is what to do with the extra 2 feet between an M25 and an M27. It looks to me like Ranger Tugs decided it was best to add it to the cockpit. If it's going to be a Looper boat (implying plenty of time spent aboard) I'd be a bit inclined to add a bit more to the galley (and maybe storage) as well as to the cockpit.

But really, it seems to me at this point that I'm looking at two boats for the market. One that's in the 24' 6" to 25' range that could be keep light and either kept simple or fully equipped as folks deemed necessary, and another that's about 27' long where weight (within reason) isn't a driving force and it's expected to be a full on cruiser.

I'd like to think that I could take the middle ground (like a Venture 26 sized boat) and build just one boat but it's not sounding like it at the moment. It may not be small or light enough for those hoping for something just a bit bigger than a CD22 or M215, and it might not be large enough for those hoping for a Loop boat or something a bit larger than a CD25.

Les
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: