The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

How about...a Marinaut 25?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: How about...a Marinaut 25? Reply with quote

Will-C wrote:
Why not just make a 26' boat. It should not have to be a deal breaker with the additional weight. It does not have to weigh as much as a Rossie. The boat could be sold stripped or loaded. One of the things about Ranger Tugs is they had almost all the options people would want available through the factory. With an extra foot you could carry more fuel maybe have a generator compartment that if it was not used it could be used as storage or for additional water. I'd grab the extra foot and work on being able to provide the boat in a couple standard configurations. Having the extra room for options like inverters, solar panels, extra batteries stuff cruisers need. Maybe instead of a larger dinette make a fold out table option for the cockpit. I mean Ranger has done alright selling the new 27' models and they sell for 200k. I'm thinking for the difference in price above the 215 you have the chance to build in things that will make people want folks to make the leap up to the 26' boat. A stripped fishing scow in that size has a pretty limited market. Why cut yourself short?
D.D.

Why does the extra foot in length make a difference? I'm not following what's not in the 25' version that could be in a 26' version? I can already get 100 gallons of fuel (in the side tanks) in the 25, we can already get the head in there, we can already provide a 6' 6" berth. The challenge in the dinette is not because of restricted length but because of restricted width.

Every foot I make the boat longer means it gets heavier. I'm already pushing the limits to keep the boat towable by standard pickups, Jeep Grand Cherokees, older Toyota Tundras, and the like. I started out wanting to add 30" to accommodate a head compartment, which would have made the boat 24' long. I upped it to 25' to get the longer v-berth and add another 6" in the cockpit.

I'm still tempted to make this one shorter again and then plan on the 27 footer for the full-on cruiser. Smile

Les

www.marinautboats.com
Les Lampman
Dealer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a teaser. This is NOT the final design, in fact it's just the preliminary concept:

One of the main changes would be a lower cabin top and this one was drawn at 25' 5" rather than 25'.

Les
Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les,

Tell us about the 27. Maybe that is the one I need to wait for.

Rob
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!!

I guess the mention of 27 was a "freudian slip". It certainly makes your end objective very much clearer for me. Cool and I honestly hope that your sales / income projections for the current model will allow you to progress to the 24.999 and a 27 without diluting your potential for any model. Right now I imgine you have a significant investment to show some ROI on.

Having spent my life "adjusting" NPV calculations to convince investors and board members that we really needed to make product "x", NOW, I feel for ya!!

I very much like your concept of a baseline plus modular options and you certainly have a good range of background data to work from if you compare RF's with Ranger and CD's. It's easy to see where the top and bottom of the equation are but it's a PITA to figure out the sweet spot in the middle is (or rather, where it will be when you bring the product to market).

Dylan said it right... (Bob Dylan that is, Not Dylan Thomas)

Merv

Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: How about...a Marinaut 25? Reply with quote

I'm not sure many of the guys with the older pickup trucks have a 100k to drop on a new 25 1/2'er. They might buy it used when its ten years old. I'd quit half stepping and build the full blown 27. I would think you want to be shooting for the guys who can afford new pickup trucks. You know the ones that Ranger is selling to. Besides you don't want you new design sitting by the side of the road behind a broke down used up tow vehicle.Just my 2 cents. I have a 23 I would want to to move past a 25 if it was right and it was still trailerable. The Rangers are two tall for my taste. I would love to see a 27' that sits as low as a 22 or a 215 does in the water. You know like a cross in between a C-Dory and a Bertram Build it they will come.
D.D.

Les Lampman
Dealer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob & Karen wrote:
Les,

Tell us about the 27. Maybe that is the one I need to wait for.

Rob

Oh goodness Rob, I was just being facetious! Just thinking about developing another boat is enough to give me heartburn! Mr. Green

It's about $150,000 a pop to produce the plug and molds for a new model though a M27 might be a bit less expensive since the hull would just be a stretched M25. Still a new cabin/deck mold would have to be built so while there could be some savings it would still be expensive.

What would you want in a 27 that you wouldn't have in a 25? This is a serious question, I'm not being rhetorical. If (as a designer/builder) you don't increase the width of a boat then I'm left wondering what folks would want to see added due to the extra 2' in length in an M27.

Les
Les Lampman
Dealer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: How about...a Marinaut 25? Reply with quote

Will-C wrote:
I'm not sure many of the guys with the older pickup trucks have a 100k to drop on a new 25 1/2'er. They might buy it used when its ten years old. I'd quit half stepping and build the full blown 27. I would think you want to be shooting for the guys who can afford new pickup trucks. You know the ones that Ranger is selling to. Besides you don't want you new design sitting by the side of the road behind a broke down used up tow vehicle.Just my 2 cents. I have a 23 I would want to to move past a 25 if it was right and it was still trailerable. The Rangers are two tall for my taste. I would love to see a 27' that sits as low as a 22 or a 215 does in the water. You know like a cross in between a C-Dory and a Bertram Build it they will come.
D.D.

Ok, same question as I asked Rob then. Given that we're going to arbitrarily restrict the width to 8' 6" on the M25 or M27 what do you feel an M27 could offer you that a M25 couldn't?

My first inclination is that the difference wouldn't be in more specific things but rather a bit more of what's already there (little larger galley, little larger head, bit larger cockpit, etc). But, is that correct? That's why I'm asking. Maybe other spaces/features are desired and I'd like to know what they are.

So if I could bring a M27 to market for (WAG) $75K for the base boat with standard equipment (which would put a fully rigged boat in the $125K or so range) would that be an appropriate target?

Les
Les Lampman
Dealer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm conflicted. (Sheesh...sounds like a sitcom.)

I started down the path of a larger Marinaut thinking about just making the 215 about 30" longer to accommodate a head compartment, and that would have made the boat about 24' in length.

The next iteration was to give it a bit more length, split between the v-berth and cockpit, and to make it 6" wider. That's about where we are with the M25.

Now some seem encouraged by the thought of an M27.

I'm beginning to suspect that having just one more model isn't going to address all the needs/desires out there. But at this time I can't address two models at once so I've got to pick one model and go with it (for now).

What do you think folks are looking for in general? I'm not so naive that I think there's really a single answer but I wonder if there's a specific part of the market that's not being addressed and where some demand exists.

So the three choices, at least as I see them now, are:

1) A slightly larger 215 that would essentially be the same boat but would have a head compartment. Call it an M24 or M246.

2) A larger boat that would compete (at least space-wise) with the C-Dory 25, the Ranger Tug 25, and (to some degree) the RF-246. Call it an M25 or M256.

3) An even larger boat with full long range cruising capability and would still be towable (and 8' 6" wide). Call it an M27.

Keep in mind that the goal (for me) is to keep any model looking like a Marinaut; that is, with a low profile and pleasing proportions. Due to our construction method the goal is also to keep the boats light (for their size), keep the horsepower requirements low, keep the handling characteristics that the M215 has, and to build them to a high quality standard.

I'd love to hear what folks would choose (even if you're happy with and going to keep your current boat).

Thanks much,

Les
nymariner

City/Region: sodus point
State or Province: NY
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: M27 Reply with quote

My vote is for a fully cruise ready M27 to do the Great Loop with.
Hopefully it will be lighter & more fuel efficient than the Rosborough 246 & the Ranger Tug 27 and have better
handling.
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: How about...a Marinaut 25? Reply with quote

I wonder why Ranger built a 27' when they already had a 25'? And they seem to be selling. No wider than 8.5 so it's still trailerable. I'm thinking slightly bigger galley, a little more counter space hey how about an oven plus a slightly larger cockpit so you could entertain like six people? I'm sure there are a lot more reasons, spots for an inverter, diesel heater, not a wallas, diferent stove options maybe a propane locker.
D.D.
Don and Brenda

City/Region: Camano Island, Wa
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: R-27 Tug
Photos: C-Quest
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on a cruise ready 27. Definately a larger head with a sink, remember the women will definately have ideas. For the PNW Wesbasto heater, larger water capacity, as in the Cutwaters they have propane cooktop and small propane tanks in the cockpit. Microwave/convection oven combo, hanging closet. Not sure if a walk through transom can be added with an outboard and kicker configuration.
Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

City/Region: Port Orchard
Photos: Kitsap Marina
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you go Les- you've opened Pandora's box!

I wonder what a 27 would have over a 25 if it didn't have a bigger beam. We sold quite a few Shamrock 270 Mackinaws and that was a very nice boat. Number one request- berths for four.

Which gets back to the double wide dinette. My gut instinct is that if you were going to go 27, you should go wider. lots of guys towing 9' to 9.5' boats down the road. If you're going to go 27, then go all the way with a full blown cruiser, and weight be damned.

Then the 25 becomes the "just right" for many of the buyers, with the 215 being "too small" and the 27 being "too big".

Of course that would mean a 27 that would be pushing the $160 to $170 mark, and it will need to be a very refined boat. bare fiberglass interior probably wouldn't cut it at that price point.

Which brings to mind the Venture 29. Which I thought was a neat little boat, and certainly a different direction for C-Dory when they tried it, but I think the boat with very few changes could have worked. I think it could have been a decent seller, just not to the existing C-Dory owner group. It would ahve required a whole new marketing plan to bring in new buyers.

I don't envy you this- there is no right or wrong answer here. Although the four person dinette seems to be a huge request. Wink

The next big question- is anyone ready to get a checkbook out and order one?

360-895-2193
(888) 293-7991
Dene

City/Region: Kalama
Vessel Name: Fear Naut & Terra-Sea-Ta
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les,

Loving this conversation. Having owned a 22' and a 27 footer, let me throw in my two bits.

1. I think having a 4 person dinette is a waste if it involves eliminating storage or passage room. On the Devlin and Campion, the table sits in the garage. We used tv or laptop trays. With guests, we go to the cockpit and use deck chairs.

2. I wouldn't go with a 27 footer and a 8.5 beam. Looks funky. Also, the handling could be whacked. I'd go with a 24 or 25 foot length and keep it trailerable. The CD 29' was a mess, in my opinion.

Consider Tollycraft. Their best seller was the 26 footer. It's gone and so is the Venture 26, which is my favorite CD. Replace them and you could find a real solid marketing niche. I wouldn't consider the Ranger boats serious competition. They are slow boats...not suitable for fishing or fast cruising.

What size would be the berth on a 25 footer-ish boat?

-Greg
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were going to do a 27' Marinaut, I'd look for something that's quite a bit different and go with a layout and design that's similar to the (one-off?) 27' C-Dory that Aviq has. That's a completely different boat and I can't think of a competitor to it in the current marketplace. I and several others here have lusted after this boat. I don't quite know exactly why, I just think it's a cool cabin design that provides for a lot more room.

Dene

City/Region: Kalama
Vessel Name: Fear Naut & Terra-Sea-Ta
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some sort of settee with a table would be easy to do. In fact it would be easy to have a settee along the port side with a nice copilot seat forward of that. Depending on how much aft port locker (closet) you felt you'd have to have the settee could be long enough to be a comfortable berth. Or a place to stretch out, melt into a corner, and read. Lots of things are possible without a lot of expensive custom work.

Les[/quote]

Yep...the L-shaped settee you describe is on my Devlin and we loved that. It gave us lots of options. Double berth....lounging....dining for two...or a table for the laptop. For me, the forward facing Admiral seat is a must too. Nice to have two sets of eyes looking forward.

-Greg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: