The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

How about...a Marinaut 25?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[b]Anyone figure out the added weight/cost of a full blackwater tank Rolling Eyes (That should start some discussion). Laughing
Merv[/quote][/b]

Thats just one of the reasons why I took ours out. I have dealt with external holding tanks on RVs and boats and hate them. Porta-potti, over-under tank, or composter are all good solutions on boats this size. And pumpout fittings are great as well provided there is space for hose routing.

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too had my holding tank removed, actually had them not install it in the first place, my porta potti is just fine, actually wonderful for my needs. No shower either, I prefer the sun-shower and let it run overboard out the scuppers. I've tried to keep my boat light.

I VERY satisfied with my CD25, but have made a couple of mods to accommodate my usual 4-7 people per trip (the 7 number is usually with a couple of 8-10 yr olds). The mods have worked out very well for us.

I made alternate/extended positions both of the settee seats towards the aisle by making an "alternate" position for carrying larger groups. I utilized the wasted seat space that tucks under the side walkway/well. We seat 4 adults at the table, the rear seat being a bit tight so we put the smallest people there Wink . You can see this mod in my photo album here starting with the 10th picture: http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album664&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php.

I also built a new table out of the same materials as factory (melamine on both sides at home depot, 2 ft wide), but extended it's length by 7 inches (I think). Yes, it interferes with the aisle passageway when you have to pass another at the sink/stove area -- but hey, we're all family, right? A better solution would be a folding extension section like Bob suggested.

I'm reluctant to put 2 kids on the dinette at night for fear of one of them falling to the floor (it has happened), or use a bed-guard that can be purchased that tucks under the seat cushions and provides a short barrier -- too much hassle. So I put an adult on that bed, 2 adults up front with 1 or 2 kids, works fine, and another on the floor. If carrying 7, we put 2 adults outside in the cockpit under the bimini on an air mattress, and that works good also here in sunny SoCal.

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the great ideas! I think we can work with the sliding seat top idea quite well. The extension on the table isn't difficult to deal with either.

But...here's another questions for y'all:

Right now (as it's drawn up) the forward seat on the passenger side is a helm seat just like the operator's side. It's the same arrangement we use on the Marinaut 215; the copilot seat swivels and slides fore-and-aft.

My question is...would you give that up (would your co-pilot) to have another double seat there?

Les

www.marinautboats.com
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve have you given any thought to just putting the kids in a tent on the beach. they would love it I'm sure. Wehn ever my son james brought freinds with him thats what we did. they get a little freedom experince the out doors and I get a good nights sleep.

sorry for the side trip back to the boat designs.

A Fishin C

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of the Marinaut 25. It fills the niche between the 23 and 26 Venture. 90% of the time I fish with buddies, 10% of the time I take my wife and kids to play.

I say,

stripped down to keep it light and cost effective
shower, hot water, don't care if the head is pump out or portable
light to tow with my pathy (6000lbs tow capacity)
Dinette and berth for 4 eat/play card and two sleep. double seat copilot

Stefan
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A double seat with reversing ability like on the 25 cruiser would be fine instead of a single helm-like seat. Be smart on the height so users don't have to sit on a huge booser to see out the front window under way. The height sucks on our 25 and raising that whole side would have increased the storage below as well.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would like to have table that 4 people could eat at. This is something I would use quite often - especially when on a long fishing trip. I fished 4 guys out of the Tomcat quite often this summer. The way the Tomcat is configured, the forward bench seat is wide enough (just barely) to seat 2 but the aft bench seat is too narrow for that. As a result, at all lunches and dinners, one guy ate standing up or sitting on a chair in the cockpit. That's one of the reasons I was so interested in the jump seat on the prototype M215. Two jump seats like that + a small foldout table extension would have made meals on board much easier. Typically at meal time, everyone but the cook/server is sitting down so the loss of some aisle space isn't a big deal.

Also, I agree that being able to sleep 2 on the converted table berth would be a plus for families with 2 kids. Even in the Tomcat, we can only comfortably sleep 3 - 2 in the main birth and one on the table berth. More than that requires a cot in the cockpit or a tent on shore. Finally, anything you can do to make the back of the bench seats adjustable fore to aft so that a normal human can sit on them would be greatly appreciated. In almost all boats I have seen, the goal of making the seats/table into a bed has over ridden the goal of comfortable seating and the seat bottom cushions are far to deep for comfortable seating. We often wind up sticking an extra 4" + cushion behind our back to make it work.

tpbrady

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les,

I understand weight and efficiency are inversely related, but when I moved from a 22 to a 25, the thing I noticed the most was the stability of the 25 in seas compared to the 22. The mass of the 25 prevented 2-4 foot seas from pushing it around very much. Sometimes in my 22 I wish I had a seat belt. Will shaving 1500 lbs from the operating weight cause a significant change in cruising comfort as sea states increase?

38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
Chester

City/Region: home
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les Lampman wrote:

The biggest challenge so far is the "concept" of the Marinaut 25. So many folks seemed to like the C-Dory 22 but wished they could get it with a head compartment, and they didn't want something as big and as expensive as the C-Dory 25. Now that we have the Marinaut 215 that's what I'm trying to offer; a M215 with a head compartment. I'm trying like the dickens to keep it light and simple to keep the price down, to keep the power requirement down, and to make it available to more tow vehicles. If I add everything that the C-Dory 25 had then we're right back to having a larger, heavier, more expensive boat.

So rather than thinking of the M25 like a CD25 cruiser it should be thought of as a Marinaut 215 with a head compartment. It's not my intention that it compete directly with a CD25. It's not going to come with shore power, a refrigerator, water heater, and all that stuff. That can all be added (heck, we can do that on a CD22 or M215) but it isn't part of the standard package. The M25 will be for folks that want simplicity, light weight, and good economy and don't want the weight, cost, and complexity of something like the CD25
Les

I like the concept, stick to your guns.
Adrienne has been talking about a bigger boat but the added complexity, cost and maintainance of systems puts me off. I love our simple C-D 22 Cruiser. If a system isn't there it won't break down.
Dinettes piss me off by there very existence though they seem to be a necessary evil on this class of boats. I would rather have some scheme where you dine on the settee using some sort of folding table. I have no idea of how or if this is possible or even advisable. Oh yeah, a forward facing navigator seat is a must.
Is the M215-250 aisle wider than a C-D 22's? IMO it dosen't need to be.
Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les,

I was surprised to see that you are not competing with Ranger Tug or CD25, with no shore power, refridgerator, water heater, or the like. I guess I misunderstood the intended mission of the boat. If it is really going to be a CD22 or M215 with a head compartment, then it seems like we are talking about a $20k-$30k head....which is not something I would be willing to pay for. When I think of a larger boat, I am also thinking of something that I will be more comfortable spending extended time on while cruising. I am looking for the comforts that you plan to omit. It sounds like I may not be your target customer.

Rob
Les Lampman
Dealer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpbrady wrote:
Les,

I understand weight and efficiency are inversely related, but when I moved from a 22 to a 25, the thing I noticed the most was the stability of the 25 in seas compared to the 22. The mass of the 25 prevented 2-4 foot seas from pushing it around very much. Sometimes in my 22 I wish I had a seat belt. Will shaving 1500 lbs from the operating weight cause a significant change in cruising comfort as sea states increase?

Hi Tom,

The honest answer is that the answer is "it's very situational". Every hull has its good points and its bad. It's really difficult to make a blanket statement about how Hull A is always going to be better than Hull B. It may be sometimes but not always (unless Hull B truly sucks).

We're getting great ride out of the Marinaut 215 even though it's very light. It just seems to work. If we can translate that ride to the Marinaut 25 then I think a lot of folks would be quite happy with it.

But really, where's the stopping point? To me the Rosborough RF-246 is a much more comfortable boat than the C-Dory 25. Why doesn't everyone buy the RF-246 instead since it weighs more than the CD25 and is more comfortable? Lots of reasons including the fact that it's more expensive and "Oh by the way" it's about 10,000 to 11,000 pounds on the trailer. Many might have a truck that will handle the CD25 but not the RF-246. Many might just not want to pull that much weight.

Personally I think the hull shape is going to keep the Marinaut 25 comfortable in conditions that don't work well for the CD25. While the CD25 gives a lot back to the owner in terms of space, accommodation, and livability it's water manners have never been sterling (though quite safe).

At the end of the day, I don't think the question can be reduced to a simple weight question. It's really about the whole package. If we can offer the Marinaut 25 as a lighter alternative that means some folks will be able to tow that boat that can't tow the CD25, and the fuel economy should be better. The ride shouldn't be any worse that the CD25 (I don't know how it could be) and I think there's a good chance it will be more comfortable. But never the less they're different boats and folks will have to choose what's best for them.

Les
Les Lampman
Dealer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob & Karen wrote:
Les,

I was surprised to see that you are not competing with Ranger Tug or CD25, with no shore power, refridgerator, water heater, or the like. I guess I misunderstood the intended mission of the boat. If it is really going to be a CD22 or M215 with a head compartment, then it seems like we are talking about a $20k-$30k head....which is not something I would be willing to pay for. When I think of a larger boat, I am also thinking of something that I will be more comfortable spending extended time on while cruising. I am looking for the comforts that you plan to omit. It sounds like I may not be your target customer.

Rob

Hi Rob,

I really don't know what we're talking about money wise. Right now the Marinaut 215 is $46,400 and based on the last boat we built that will have to increase somewhat. Based on the price per pound that we're currently paying for the 215 hull I think we'll end up with about $6,000 to $7,000 more in the 25 hull.

The windows will be slightly more expensive, the fuel tanks will be slightly more expensive, the head compartment and head will cost something, the rails will be slightly more expensive, we'll need to use SeaStar steering rather than BayStar steering, etc. Not a lot will increase in price much but most will increase some.

I'd like to think that we can offer the Marinaut 25 for say $10,000 more than the Marinaut 215 and that would make it about $55,000. Just to be conservative I upped that to $60,000 when I started this conversation.

As far as total price, the engine will cost more and the trailer will cost more. So if you take the $60K I estimated and add a Honda BF150 ($15K) and a trailer ($6k) we're at $80K. In base price terms we should be quite far from a $20K to $30K head, more on the order of $10K to $15K and of course you're getting more than just a head for the difference.

If on the other hand we need to include shore power ($1200), a refrigerator ($1000), a water heater ($1000 with all the plumbing and fixtures), a battery charger ($300), and such then obviously the price difference will climb but might still be within the $15K difference range (and all those prices are just for the sake of having some examples and likely a bit high).

When we sold C-Dory boats most of the CD22s we did went out of here fully loaded at $60K to $65K, the CD25 went out around $90K so there always has been about a $25K to $30K difference in the CD22 versus the CD25 (when all said and done). I'm trying to keep the Marinaut 25 a bit closer to the 215 than that but time will tell.

The main thing is we're going to try and build the boat our customer wants. If they want a light simple boat at the lowest possible weight I want to make that available. If they want all the cruising goodies with lots of water and all the comforts then we're going to accommodate them too. Since we build each boat "to order" we'll be able to give folks what they want (within reason) for a dinette, or a helm seat, or a settee with a table, or whatever. They can have a portable toilet or built-in. They can have a shower or no shower. And, on and on.

I've probably overemphasized several of the characteristics of the boat and my vision for it. I think the real point I was trying to make is that it's not going to just be the Marinaut version of a C-Dory 25, it will have a different look and feel and maybe appeal to folks that want something a little bit bigger than the CD22 or M215 but not quite what the CD25 is.

Les

Last edited by Les Lampman on Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Les Lampman
Dealer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way you all...this is helping me tremendously. I just wanted to take this opportunity to say THANK YOU!!! Thumbs Up
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: How about...a Marinaut 25? Reply with quote

Why not just make a 26' boat. It should not have to be a deal breaker with the additional weight. It does not have to weigh as much as a Rossie. The boat could be sold stripped or loaded. One of the things about Ranger Tugs is they had almost all the options people would want available through the factory. With an extra foot you could carry more fuel maybe have a generator compartment that if it was not used it could be used as storage or for additional water. I'd grab the extra foot and work on being able to provide the boat in a couple standard configurations. Having the extra room for options like inverters, solar panels, extra batteries stuff cruisers need. Maybe instead of a larger dinette make a fold out table option for the cockpit. I mean Ranger has done alright selling the new 27' models and they sell for 200k. I'm thinking for the difference in price above the 215 you have the chance to build in things that will make people want folks to make the leap up to the 26' boat. A stripped fishing scow in that size has a pretty limited market. Why cut yourself short?
D.D.

Les Lampman
Dealer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chester wrote:

I like the concept, stick to your guns.
Adrienne has been talking about a bigger boat but the added complexity, cost and maintainance of systems puts me off. I love our simple C-D 22 Cruiser. If a system isn't there it won't break down.
Dinettes piss me off by there very existence though they seem to be a necessary evil on this class of boats. I would rather have some scheme where you dine on the settee using some sort of folding table. I have no idea of how or if this is possible or even advisable. Oh yeah, a forward facing navigator seat is a must.
Is the M215-250 aisle wider than a C-D 22's? IMO it dosen't need to be.

The passageway (aisle) on the Marinaut 25 is about the same as the the M215; you're right, it doesn't need to be wider.

Some sort of settee with a table would be easy to do. In fact it would be easy to have a settee along the port side with a nice copilot seat forward of that. Depending on how much aft port locker (closet) you felt you'd have to have the settee could be long enough to be a comfortable berth. Or a place to stretch out, melt into a corner, and read. Lots of things are possible without a lot of expensive custom work.

Les

Last edited by Les Lampman on Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: