The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Update from the Betty Ann and Mascoat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Update from the Betty Ann and Mascoat Reply with quote

I've gotten a couple of phone updates from Rich and Betty aboard the Betty Ann.

All is going well and they're quite happy. They made the trip from Cornet Bay to La Conner into the teeth of a snarly Southerly but got there just fine. They've spent the last couple of high wind days in La Conner and are enjoying it. They plan to leave today for Anacortes.

Rich reports that so far the Mascoat Delta-DTM is doing its job well as they're not having any condensation issues.

He also reports that they initially thought they brought (and shipped) way too much stuff and didn't have places for it all. He now says that they've found places for everything and that there is still a lot more storage available; it's just a matter of learning the spaces available.

Overall, they're having fun and are happy with the boat (Ha!...good thing for me! Wink ).

www.marinautboats.com
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Update from the Betty Ann and Mascoat Reply with quote

Les Lampman wrote:
I've gotten a couple of phone updates from Rich and Betty aboard the Betty Ann.

Rich reports that so far the Mascoat Delta-DTM is doing its job well as they're not having any condensation issues.

That is great news about the Mascoat Delta-DTM insulation. There is nothing worse than waking up in the morning to a cold clammy berth or cabin. In this weather the inside of these types of boats (the Marinaut, the C-Dory and Cape Cruisers) would be wet inside from condensation. It looks like we made the right decision to add the Delta-DTM to the berth and cabin of the Marinaut.

Dave
www.marinautboats.com
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear they are liking the boat and the area. Just seems to me that they are not moving very far each day, but i'm spoiled from living here and having used la conner as a starting point not a destination. If its you first time here I guess you could spent a few day there and in anacortes looking around. I hope they make it to the islands soon.
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
Glad to hear they are liking the boat and the area. Just seems to me that they are not moving very far each day, but i'm spoiled from living here and having used la conner as a starting point not a destination. If its you first time here I guess you could spent a few day there and in anacortes looking around. I hope they make it to the islands soon.

Tom,

Did you poke your head outside the last couple of days? The wind, at least in our area, has been fierce. Looking at the water conditions the last couple of days around here I'd have not gone out either and I'm crazier than most. Smile

Last I heard they planned to get out and about today now that the wind has settled down.

Les
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotto agree w/ Les. I would've done the same; found a nice, safe harbor and stayed put until the weather improved.

Good to know on the Mascoat. Someday I'll do it to the 25. On the positive if they do head up north, the islands should be WAY less crowded this time of year.

starcrafttom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry guys i was in Portland all weekend and did not notice the wind. and You know me I go anyway if its not to bad.

My point was that regardless of weather there is a lot to do in both ports that I forget about because, well I have done it already. These port that I take for granted hold far more for the first timer/ out of towner then I give then credit for. I was not making any commits about there baoting ablity. geez guys get up off me and go boat or somthing. Rolling Eyes

Also I have to say something about the NOAA weather forecast this year. What a load of bull that is. 5 or 6 times I have stayed in port this year because of a "small craft warning" only to find out from a fishing buddy that went out to hein bank that it was smooth or only two ft chop. I finally got out in two small craft warnings to find flat seas. So after getting used to their warnings not really meaning anything I left la conner last week to a "2ft or less" report only to get banged around for a hour in 4 fters on the run south to Everett. I just don't trust them anymore.

Any one got a better way to judge the conditions?
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

We are pretty lucky to be able to overlook the Straits from our house. When you can read the reflections of the names on the side of the container ships in the water, it's pretty smooth! Wink

We also like real time info like the Hein Bank Buoy and theSmith Island Weather Station

Both reading 6 kts right now!

If they are below 15 kts and not trending upward, we shove off across.

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good link. I will have to save it ot my phone.
C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update from the "Betty Ann" -- the Mascoat Delta-T insulation worked great, and we did not experience condensation on the exposed interior of the berth and cabin. However, we had quite a lot of condensation underneath the berth cushions. The reason for this is obvious: the cushion base is not insulated with Delta-T (nor should it be) and it rests on top of the 15-gallon cold water tank. We know that Les wants to something about it, but as we learned from Jerry and Cindy of the C-Gnome, who use it to their great satisfaction on their beautiful CD 22 cruiser, we would benefit greatly from Hypervent, and we intend to install it under our seat cushions when we return to the PNW in March, 2012. For those interested, here is the link to the hypervent website:

[url] http://www.hyperventmarine.com/

c-ness

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C-weetness
Photos: C-weetness
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the use of hypervent. It works well and is easy to install. It's nice not to have all that moisture under the berth cushions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: