The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Looking for a chartploter/gps Color 5 inch ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doug gray I

C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-renity
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Looking for a chartploter/gps Color 5 inch ? Reply with quote

This my first time posting and I'm not to handy with this pc. HELP!!! Yes I'm a new guy on the block. Thinking off the new Humminbird 87-C for my C-dory 16 C-reanity
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a chartploter/gps Color 5 inch ? Reply with quote

Here is the Humminbird page at Broken Leg Dave's.This place has very good prices. I didn't see what you were looking for but you can contact Dave and see if he can get it for you...

doug gray I wrote:
This my first time posting and I'm not to handy with this pc. HELP!!! Yes I'm a new guy on the block. Thinking off the new Humminbird 87-C for my C-dory 16 C-reanity

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5" is pretty small, even on a 16 footer. Remember this is a diagonal measurement, the screen is 3" x 4" in the real world!

I'm still looking at the Raymarine 435i because it uses Navionics CF chip cards which have astounding coverage in a single chip. I can cover all the Great Lakes and Ohio River with three.

But I gotta see how big the screen is in use, it's still pretty small.

-- Chuck
AK Angler

City/Region: South Central
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Rod Holder
Photos: Rod Holder
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug-
The new humminbird unit looks pretty good. And a 5" screen isn't too small on a 16 footer. I installed a Garmin 178C last summer and I love it. I was looking at a Humminbird unit too, but decided on the Garmin for a couple of reasons. First, I've used Garmin before and have been very happy with their products. They have user friendly controls and excellent maps. Second, at the time I was looking at buying, Humminbird didn't offer maps for their compact sounder/GPS combo units for the Alaska area. They said they would be coming out later in the summer, and I didn't want to wait. So Garmin it was. And I've been very happy with my decision.

Good luck with yours.

Edit: By the way, have you seen this Lowrance unit? It's a 5" class combo unit with GREAT resolution that can be had for $650 right now ('net price, of course).

89CD16A- The Navicula has been sold...

Last edited by AK Angler on Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
AK Angler

City/Region: South Central
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Rod Holder
Photos: Rod Holder
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck-

Don't mean to nitpick, but ya kinda gotta compare apples to apples here. The H87C is a sounder/GPS unit and can be had for about $650 ('net prices). The R435i is GPS only and priced at about $800. Does Raymarine even make a compact combo unit?

Also, a bigger screen isn't always a better screen. Even with its "small" screen, the 320 X 320 pixel resolution on the G178C offers 33% better resolution than the 320 X 240 on the R435i (or the H87C, or H97 for that matter). Better resolution means being able to see more detail.

By the way, it was the Humminbird 97 that I was looking at last year. (At the time it was about the same price as the G178C that I ended up buying.) It has a larger screen 5.6" vs 4.5" but lower resolution. After using the Garmin for a season, I'm glad I went with the higher resolution.
doug gray I

C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-renity
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: 5'' c- 87 Humminbird Reply with quote

Thanks for all the impute, I called the factory and the c- 87 will not be out until the of end of march, first off april. Think I'll wait because they said slot for navionics card is included. Doug
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you travel/boat the Matrix 97 is a tremendous value due to the basemap being twice (and in some cases 3X) more detailed than the rest. It means you don't need cards for every body of water and that has saved a lot of money.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: