The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Builder trials on A0001 and reassessment
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Builder trials on A0001 and reassessment Reply with quote

A0001 (production hull #1) went in the water early this morning for her builder's trials. I learned a lot and it changes some of the concepts I had about the boat.

As many know this boat has been powered with a Honda BF115D, which is really a detuned BF135/150. It's a large block for a 115-hp engine and because of that it only has about 2 ft-lbs of torque less than the BF150. What's really neat though is that peak torque comes in at a fairly low 3,500 rpm, and that turns out to be the cat's meow for this hull.

I was confident based on Dave's prototype M215 that it would handle the weight of the Honda BF115D (the result of it being the same engine as the BF135/150) and the kicker too. Of course, that was "paper" confidence since no M215 existed at that point equipped like that. Well, it's paper confidence no more; with full fuel, full water, the BF115D and the Tohatsu 9.8 kicker the boat sits dead level in the water and handles beautifully. In this configuration with two folks aboard the M215 planes out just shy of 9 knots.

The other thing is that I underestimated the speed range of the hull. With the E-TEC 90 on Dave's M215 I typically cruised the boat about 18 to 20 knots but I've now found out that was mostly due to noise and the sound of the engine. With the now quieter boat (and engine) with the BF115 the Marinaut cruises comfortably at 25 knots. And that's not in flat water, I ran that speed though some pretty good tide rip chop and the hull doesn't pound and slap. With the BF115 cruising at 20 knots (23 mph) is pretty effortless at 3500 rpm (fuel consumption at that rpm is 4.6 gph).

So, my take is with a 90-hp engine the M215 feels closer to the CD22 (still a little faster at cruise if wanted). With a 115-hp engine it feels very close to an Arima 21 Hardtop with a 150-hp engine. Truly either engine works great, it's just going to be about either the cruise speed you want or the weight you want to haul.

I've got the NMEA 2000 bus connected to the BF115D and to the Raymarine C90W which gives rpm, fuel burn, voltage, engine coolant temp, engine hours, etc right from the engine's ECU to the C90W display. The following numbers come from the engine for rpm and fuel burn and from the GPS (speed over ground) for the speed (and I tried to average by running multiple directions).

Here's the chart I generated this morning (keep in mind this is a M215 with full fuel and full water but not a lot of other gear) running an aluminum Solas (Honda OEM) 3-bladed 17" prop.

3000 rpm..........3.4 gph..........15.4 kts
3500 rpm..........4.6 gph..........20.3 kts
4000 rpm..........6.2 gph..........25 kts
4500 rpm..........7.8 gph..........28 kts
5000 rpm..........10.2 gph.........31 kts
5400 rpm..........10.5 gph.........33 kts

The BF115D makes maximum horsepower at 5,250 rpm so I'm pretty happy with where the 3 x 17 prop ended up. If the rpm drops much when fully loaded (gear and people) I'd be inclined to try a 4 x 15 prop. A 3 x 15 would work but I think it may take the rpm up higher than needed; not higher than redline (6,000 rpm) but high enough that you'd lose the benefit of the down low torque on the BF115D.

Another speed I found I really liked this morning was running 3200 rpm at 18 kts with a fuel burn of 3.5 gph. Running 3400 rpm at almost 19 kts (like 18.8 to 18.9) with a fuel burn of 4 gph was also a nice speed.

All-in-all I consider the M215 to be what I would call a "20 knot cruise boat" and with a 115-hp engine a bit higher speeds are still quite comfortable.

I still found that the boat tracks like an arrow. It will run for quite some time hands-off and not wander around. I run with the autopilot doing the steering duties about 90% of the time but having a boat that tracks like the M215 means the autopilot is working easier.

To say I'm pleased would be an understatement. Of course since I build the things I'm biased but I'm also honest enough to "tell it like it is" regardless of whether it helps or hurts me. Folks that are going to spend this much money (any amount really) are owed the truth.

I had the hard bulkhead in this morning but I have to tell you this boat is superb with the aft bulkhead out. What an open feeling that gives the boat. Of course in the winter (in the PNW) I'd have it in but I can really see removing it in the spring and leaving the cabin open to the cockpit (with a Bimini or camper canvas is the best).

In being aboard the M215 with the aft bulkhead removed and the full camper canvas up I thought "what a great family boat". That's not what I was thinking before that. It seemed like a great couple's boat. But with the aft bulkhead removed and the camper canvas up there is so much inside space, plenty for 5 or 6 people to move around and be comfortable. Plenty for a couple with a couple of kids or so to camp aboard; mom and dad at one end and the kids in the other...still visible and easy to keep track of and close at hand if needed. There's comfortable sleeping on the v-berth and a really comfortable sleeping space in the cockpit with something like an air mattress in place.

Thanks everyone for being here and being part of the process (and the joy).

All the best...

www.marinautboats.com
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear it went well Les! Now slap the lighter tohatsu 115 on there and compare! if it was that easy....
Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Les’s data in the above post to create the following chart for the Marinaut 215 with a Honda 115hp engine.
This is with full fuel and water plus two people on board.
I have added several columns to indicate MPH, MPG and NPG.
GPH = gallons per hour
KPH = knots per hour
NPG = nautical miles per gallon
MPH = miles per hour
MPG = miles per gallon

Dave
www.marinautboats.com
Les Lampman
Dealer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the table and graph, they look great.

We'll see how this plays out over time when there's more data available at different weights and in different sea conditions. For now I'm quite pleased with the package.

The fuel burn rate is nice but even better for me is the smooth quiet engine and how nicely it reacts to throttle adjustments. Very smooth, very tractable; makes it easy to work through the slop.

Les
nymariner

City/Region: sodus point
State or Province: NY
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: 5-15 knts fuel usage Reply with quote

Would you please post the fuel usage readings for the lower speeds? Thanks
mailbox101

City/Region: Pacifica
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Blue Eagle
Photos: Blue-Eagle
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
KPH = knots per hour

What does "knots per hour" mean?
Isn't that kind of like "MPH per hour", or does it mean something entirely different?

David
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's redundant. I think he meant NMPH, Nautical Miles Per Hour, not Knots Per Hour.

A knot is a nautical mile per hour.

Brought to you by your Department of Redundancy Department

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knots per Hour and Miles per Hour is the distance traveled in one hour.
A mile is 5280 feet
A knot is 6,076 feet 1.39 inches
To convert Knots per Hour to Miles per Hour you multiply the Knots per Hour by 1.1508
To convert Miles per Hour to Knots per Hour you multiply the Miles per Hour by 0.869

Dave
www.marinautboats.com

Last edited by oldgrowth on Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldgrowth wrote:
Knots per Hour and Miles per Hour is the distance traveled in one hour.
A mile is 5280 feet
A knot is 6,076.1155 feet
To convert Knots per Hour to Miles per Hour you multiply the Knots per Hour by 1.1509
To convert Miles per Hour to Knots per Hour you multiply the Miles per Hour by 0.869

Dave
www.marinautboats.com

Dave - no the point of the above is that knots = nautical miles per hour - e.g. knots already has the "per hour" part in the definition. Hence you say "I was going 16knots" or "I was going 16 nm/hour" but not "I was going 16knots/hour".

1 nm = 6076.115 feet.
1 kt = 6076.115 feet/hour = 1nm/hour

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it pays to distinguish: Nauctical miles per hour vs statute miles per hour. In many parts of the ICW's of the East and Gulf, the distances are in statute miles--and thus people speak of speeds of miles per hour (statute)--where as other places rather than say Knots, they might say nautical miles per hour for clarification....Probably this distinction is more valuable for a new boater.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Les Lampman
Dealer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 5-15 knts fuel usage Reply with quote

nymariner wrote:

Sorry for the delay in responding, just haven't had the chance to get here for a few days.

We'll have to post that information when we get it, I didn't take any readings below 3,000 rpm.

Thanks for the question though, it's a good one.

Les
Les Lampman
Dealer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 5-15 knts fuel usage Reply with quote

nymariner wrote:

Hi,

Please see http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=16811 for more detail regarding your request.

Thanks!

Les
Dene

City/Region: Kalama
Vessel Name: Fear Naut & Terra-Sea-Ta
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les,

You described it as a family boat. Can mom and pop sleep comfortably in the V-berth? My understanding is that it's 48 inches wide. If so, kinda narrow isn't for two, normal sized people.

-Greg
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure where you got your "understanding" but the typical v berth, and the Marinaut isn't much different in that area than a CD22 (except for the insulation) tapers from just a little (play footsie with each other) at the bow to just about the full beam of the boat where your head is. At that part, you are separated from your crewmate by the porta pottie space which can be covered up with a cushion (think it's that way on the Marinaut too). That's probably 6+feet wide where your head goes, a lot greater than 48"!
Take a look at the LINE DRAWINGS

Charlie
C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Charlie, the Marinaut Berth is not similar to the CD 22. The CD 22 has a closed-in bulkhead which compels people to sleep in a feet-forward position. Some CD 22 users have cut out their bulkheads, which creates a much more open berth. Those users have a closer looking berth to the Marinaut. My wife and I sleep with our heads toward the bow, and we are extremely comfortable, having done so for 19 straight nights! The berth really has much more space than the line drawings would otherwise indicate. Please see my folder showing our berth arrangement.

[img] http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1497&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php [/img]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: