View previous topic :: View next topic  
20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Boat Equipment for the Inside Passage Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

Next summer I'm planning on taking our 22 from Anacortes to Alaska. I have at least three months for the trip, so time shouldn't be a major issue. At this point I'm trying to get the boat well equipped for the trip, from both a comfort and safety perspective. And I'd like to get advice from all of you.

A quick rundown of equipment on the boat:
-Single Honda 90 EFI
-Wallas for cooking/heating
-Lewmar V700 windlass and Delta 14lb anchor on 220 feet of rode
-Satellite radio
-Raymarine C80 with radar and autopilot
-1 fixed mount VHF and two portables
-2 portable GPS's, GPS and charts on laptop and on iPhone
-SPOT
-PLB tethered to my offshore lifejacket, with GPS and VHF in pockets
-High quality inflatable kayak
-West Marine RU-260

This winter I already plan to purchase and have installed:
-Basic shore power/battery charger system
-Tohatsu 6 kicker
-I can and will borrow paper charts for the entire trip
-I still need to buy cruising guides for the whole area
-BBQ

Should I buy an EPIRB? Survival suits? Liferaft? Other items to make the trip more comfortable?

Thanks!
Sam
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just at a first glance, I'd add a second, larger anchor. A single one is too easy to lose! Sounds like fun..

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam,

It appears to me that you're pretty well set up, but here are a couple of suggestions:

(1) Once you have shorepower and a charger installed you will find a small electric heater and hotplate handy for the occasions you're in a marina with shorepower. I also have a small toaster-oven for Katmai, but haven't had a chance to use it - but suspect it will be handy. Your Wallas does a great job for cooking and heating when it works, but you may want to consider some sort of simple alternative heat source if/when it bites the dust. (Oop's, just noticed that Retriever is a 2008...you should have no problem.)

(2) In your pictures I don't see a bimini or camper canvas. I have found both to be extremely handy in Southeast, and they virtually double your living space. If you're a fisherman that may be a different matter, but I find that camper canvas is really handy.

(3) From Anacortes it's a LONG way, but certainly doable. Your fuel costs will blow your hair back, so you may want to think about a LOT of displacement cruising which will greatly increase your fuel-range and decrease your overall fuel costs. For long distance displacement cruising I have found that autopilot is Perfect! Think about it.

(4) Plenty of books you've been wanting to read.

(5) Stash a golf-size umbrella somewhere onboard. It's not very manly or nautical ... but Very handy in Southeast's rain! As for the manly aspects of an umbrella, I wonder it Cabela's makes one in Camo??

Next, you'll have to begin a thread on special places to visit, backcountry anchorages and floats, and hotsprings, etc, along the route.

Casey
Lake Montezuma, AZ

NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A kicker.

A rode to go with that 2nd anchor.

If you have the PLB I wouldn't get an EPIRB.

I'd go with the survival suit, but not the life raft. I've taken both up the Inside Passage. They take up a lot of room. Last time I left the life raft home. Just be cautious and really pick your traveling time carefully, or find a buddy boat or two, when you round Cape Caution and cross the Dixon Entrance - two places where hiding spots are hard to come by.

A few other thoughts off the top:

Life Jackets;

Ditch Bag – First Aid, Locator, VHF, Strobe, Knife;

Charger for ICOM 88 VHF;

Life Raft or Dinghy & Oars;

Survival Suits – Gloves, Booties;

Sea anchor & rode, retrieve line & float;

Spare anchor and rode;

Spot light;

Radar reflector;

Flairs;

Air horn;

CO detector;

Throwing line;

Sunglasses;

Extra Batteries;

Tools and spare parts (props, fuses, etc.).

It's a bit much for some folks, but I won't go without my Honda generator.

The list you end up with will be very long, trust me. Think about it a lot. Have fun planning!

Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The year I took my 22 cruiser to SE AK I bent three! aluminum props. The next year I switched to a SS prop and never needed the spare prop for the next 14 years!

Stuff to take:

A microfiber towel to mop up the condensation inside the cabin every morning.

Good quality rain gear, both the jacket and pants. In SE, the rain falls sideways! and its easy to get soaked. Rubber boots may also come in handy.

Install a fuel water separator. And carry spare filter elements and any tool needed to change the element.

If you are considering slow speed travel to save fuel, remember that it is about 700 miles from the Puget Sound to Ketchikan and another 350 miles from Ketchikan to Glacier Bay. My advice is to go fast when you can, as there will be many times that the wind and waves will require slow travel. If you get to a major crossing, like the Queen Charlotte sound or the Dixon Entrance and the weather is good with clam water, go! and go fast!, If you wait a day, the weather/wind/waves can shut the door on you!

In Alaska, the anchorages can be as deep as 60-80 feet, with 20+ ft tides. I would carry 25 to 30 ft of chain plus 300 ft of line on the main anchor, and the same on the stern/backup anchor.

Service the lower unit, changing the gear oil and the waterpump impeller before you go. Consider how you will change your engine oil while in the water. All marine dealers will be jammed with work in the summer, don't count on speedy service in AK.

If you take meds, be sure to have enough, and seal the extra pill bottles in plastic. Also take plenty of bug bite treatments and repellents. Consider window screens.

I personally leave SE AK and return to Canada about Aug 1. Any later, and you can get caught in the beginning of winter weather cycles, with gale force winds.

If your boat breaks down in SE, the best solution may be to fly down, get your trailer, drive to Prince Rupert, and ferry to whatever town your boat is in.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of great advice on gear. Extra anchor and wind socks are a great idea. I think it breaks down into several area of gear so I will go over those instead of specific gear. Well I will say one thing first about heat sources and cooking. Have a backup plan for that wallas. I would carry a
small propane heater as a backup. Its not the best solution but it will keep you warm and dry until you get the wallas fixed.
For cooking a Like a propane bbq or a cobb stove

Now for categories to think about
1) spares- you need a couple of spare fuses for everything in the boat. Make a list and go get ten of each. Spare props, spare filters, spare lines, rope. Yes have a dedicated rope for towing, you can use it for stern tying too but don't try to use a dock line for towing. Back up maps and hand held gps, vhf, batteries to run them and the ability to run them.

2) tools- tools to change out the prop and the filters and the spark plugs, oil, etc.. Not tools to do a over haul. Tools that will get you to the next port for a mechanic to over charge you. Don’t just buy a tool kit at west marine. Spent some time thinking about what you need. Oh a volt meter and the ability to use it plus batteries and fuses for the volt meter for when you hook it up wrong or leave it on.

3) Ditch bag- have two. One for both of you and really think about what you need in it. I see long list of nav gear and beacons but no mention of food or socks or space blankets or a small tarp. Dry socks can save your life. If worst comes to worst and you end up on the beach with the boat gone can you make shelter and heat? High tech water proof matches and magnesium fire starts are great but a bic lighter is cheap and light and works well. Can you carry or collect fresh water?
collapsible buckets are cheap and light. Think thru your order of survival and what you need to accomplish it. 1) get to shore or in a raft if off shore 2) stay dry 3)contact help 4) stay dry and warm until help arrives which could be days depending on whether or not you contacted help 5) food and water and stay dry. You are not going to hike out, you are not going to build a cabin, you are not starting your own civilization are trying to stay alive until help gets there.

4) safety gear so you don't need the ditch bag to begin with. a really good med kit and the ability to use it. I can stitch a wound if I have to. I can give cpr I have. I can give a shot if i have to

5) training- for EVERYONE. I keep stating that you need a item and the ability to use it, so does everyone on the boat. And not just a “oh I know where the map is”. can you AND your wife use a vhf, gps, med kit, start a fire, drive the boat, anchor and retrieve the s me by hand, plot a course, Identify where you are everyday???? I am very proud that Susan can and has taken the boat out without me for a weekend. Did she call me freaked out once when the gps stopped working? Yes but she got it figured out by herself. I cannot stress this part enough. You both have to be competent captains to go on a journey like this. If Susan and I were to go north there would be a lot of training going one before we leaved or I would not go with her. You are putting your hands into her as soon as the dock lines are untied. All your knowledge and expertise are not worth spit when you are out cold bleeding on the deck.

Now for the fun stuff. FISHING GEAR.
I have a lot of gear and I have noticed of late that I don't use most of it in day. Decide what you want to catch and how you want to catch it. I like to troll but there are other ways to catch salmon. Decide what you need to get the job done and bring only what you really need. Maybe you don't want to fish a lot and getting a guide for one or two days is best for you. Same goes for crabbing and shrimp.

Well that was long then I wanted but you get the idea. Before you pack the boat lay everything out in the house. Then remember the clip from “a river runs thru it" when the boy was doing his home work. He handed the father two pages of writing. The father looks at it and says “half as much" this goes on several times until the boy is down to only what he needs to tell the story without losing the story. Gear is the same way. I could fill a boat that I would have to tow behind my boat if I brought everything people tell me I need. I am trying to get it down to what I need to accomplish the mission. Mission is to have a good time while navigating the wilds of Alaska in my boat and if something goes wrong to be able to fix it enough to get back to a port, any port, or survive until help gets there. Not build a new city where I am king though that sounds great.....

Last edited by starcrafttom on Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Extra power Reply with quote

A 6 hp kicker isn't enough in my opinion for a 22. 9+ would be much better. There is enough wetted (wind resistant) area on the CD because of the cabin, radar arch, etc. to cause you grief in high winds and rough seas....exactly the time when your main engine will choose to fail if it ever does fail. I've wrestled with only a 5hp Tohatsu auxiliary on my 19 foot sailboat in those conditions getting to a safe harbor. Your CD will be extra heavy with all the stuff you are carrying as well. So, I vote for a significantly larger Kicker than what you have. 6hp won't move you very fast just at the time you need as much get away speed as possible.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the trip from Blaine to Ketchikan in 2006, and highly recommend (a) having somebody in a second boat accompany you, and (b) having at least one other person on board. The second boat could save your life in a tough spot.

As to physical things on board, the only thing that does not seem to have been mentioned is some means of back-up cooking and heating if your Wallas decides, as many people have experienced, to go south on you at the worst possible time and place. A one burner Coleman stove and a Mr. Heater Buddy and a supply of the 1 lb propane bottles could make a huge difference in that situation.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!!! One morning of posts, and there are tons of suggestions. With tons of equipment.

Anyway, here are a few additional comments. That Wallis is a life saver. We took our sailboat up and down the inside passage, and froze because of lack of heat. When Judy heard about the Wallas, as we ordered Journey On, we got one, and it's worked for 6 years now. Remember to take plenty of fuel, or just get diesel. I bought an Ecofan 800 Self-Powered Stove Fan which drives the fan from the stove heat. A lot quieter than the Wallis fan and doesn't use electricity overnight.

Second, we did the navigation with chart books, but now we have an electronic chart plotter with GPS. The radar is mandatory and you have one, but get the electronic charts. If your radar isn't also a chart plotter, get a PC, download the required charts from the US gov't and buy them from Canada and have a save trip. Buy a GPS puck that interfaces with your PC and you're set.

You're going up with more equipt than we had and our trip was great. We didn't travel by night because of the debris and fishing nets, but it was a lovely trip.

Final piece of advice: just go, it's one of the worlds greatest trips.

Boris
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would want a dinghy motor more than the kicker--so you can use a 3.5 or 4 hp motor on the dinghy, and have a bracket on the boat for it. It is easy to move the 3.5 to 4 hp from a kicker bracket to the dinghy. 3.5 to 4 hp is enough to save your bacon if for some reason you loose the main.

get folding shrimp pot and crab pot, along with 400 feet of Poly prop line.
(I gave mine to Charlie). Definitely worth having.

put a small hatchet in the gear box--for oysters.

Fishing gear, including both Salmon, rock cod and halibut. (you can pick up the jigs for herring along the way.) Net, and fish club--gaff. Don't forget the fishing licenses.

Look into the permits for Glacier Bay and Pack Creek (best Bear watching in SE) now. We were fortunate and won the lottery for Pack Creek and had 72 hours to get there. We had put in our Glacier Bay request the first of the year and had to check in by Marine radio as we were going up the Coast to verify it. You can do better with cell phones today.

No life raft or survival suit necessary. Use the dinghy as a life raft--if necessary--pack into the ditch bag a couple of the space blankets.

I also agree with the camper canvas--really necessary as a "Wet room".

We never carried an umbrella, but have very good foul weather gear, and good gum rubber boats for wading ashore. Also a good pair of hiking boots for each member. Portable air horns for each member.

Canister of Bear Repellant (I use Counter Assault 10.2 oz with belt holster, and carry it with you when ashore.

Good waterproof flashlights, including at least one head lamp. LEDs are great--use less power and last longer.

In our 5 trips up and down the inland passage, we have been weathered in only a few days. We would go North starting in April and be out of AK by early Sept. Back in WA by Mid Oct.

Agree with second anchor--also some poly propelene line for stern ties to the trees/6 to 10 feet of light chain and shackle for rocks.

We ha anchor line to anchor in 100 feet, but rarely was necessary.

I left some of my guide books with the gang in Sequim--not sure how many are still there. But there are to be loaned to any C brat.

Available for postage are: "exploring SE Alaska" by Doublas--Dixon Entrance to Skagway 2nd edition.--2007

Exploring Vancouver Island's West Coast 1 st edition (older but still good) (signed by Don Douglas)

"The Inside Passage Planning map Norther BC and SE AK, including the Queen Charolettes.

Alaska and Canada's Inside passage, Cruise Tour Guide (planing chart).

I believe that all of my paper charts are in the possession of Al Slaight in Sequim. These probably cover AK and BC.

2008 "North West Boat Travel" Guide book, and 2004 Waggoner's Cruising guide. Both older, but lots of good information.

I would also get one of the tide and current books. These are essential, because at times the currents are equal to cruising speed of the C Dory.

I understand hand held GPS and Computer, but I prefer a dedicated chart plotter. If you are confident that the computer will hold up to the pounding etc, and be very very visible just below your line of sight--then it will work.

The only thing you have, which we considered by decided against was the Sat phone. Nice if you have it, but I am not sure it is necessary. We did have both Ham and Marine SSB radios. There are a couple of radio nets worth listening to if you have a receiver Northwest Boater's net (Port Ludlow Yc is control) at 8:30 AM 3.865 Mhz LSB. There are a couple of 2 meter nets in BC and AK--if any one is interested. These nets often will give you up to date information on areas you may be cruising, as well as weather.

For the condensation I have found one of the synthetic Chamois ("Adsorber) works as well, and for me better than a micro fiber towel.

We took a Honda 1000 on the C Dory 25--never used it. But we did have a larger battery charger and an couple of extra house batteries. I would say that a minimum of 2 batteries is desirable and preferable two house and one engine start. Keep one isolated or take a small PWC battery for back up engine start.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kicker motors!! never own one you can not pull start. Great if it has a started too but make sure you can pull start it. make sure you ca pull start the main too
Don and Brenda

City/Region: Camano Island, Wa
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: R-27 Tug
Photos: C-Quest
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might suggest getting a 16' C-Dory to tow behind you to carry all the stuff.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just finished going more than half way and back a couple of days ago and I can add a couple of comments.

-We used only one gallon of fuel in the wallas in two weeks for heating mostly and I would have used a quart if I was alone.

-Think about your water use and how you might get more from local natural sources by dinghy (pumps, filters, funnels, water containers...). This could save you fuel as well trying to go for water re-supply.

-Not sure about your power supply but consider an inverter and toaster/toaster oven to add variety to your cooking/diet. They are often run for very short periods so the overall power use is not bad at all. (we like toast and eggs and would give up the microwave before the toaster)

-overboard dumping is an option most of the way so that may change how you use your portapotti if you have one. Also, lack of facilities leads to more anchoring and that may change you needs as well.

-Ice is a limiting factor so consider your cold storage needs and whether a 12v cooler might make sense if your motoring regularly.

-If one of your portable GPS units can be loaded with charts, consider that as a nice option for dinghy exploration and chart redundancy. It is also great to run them both all the time with one showing more detail than the other. Also consider other maps types as a backup if you already have a couple of digital options. Three of these cover a big portion of the trip and they are great for planning as well as costing only about 30 bucks total.

http://www.fishnmap.com/catalogframe.php

We spent over 2k on gas so going slow as others have mentioned would be a great idea as would the autopilot.

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's a lot of stuff! Thanks for all of the advice on what to get, and please keep it coming. I've thought of most of the items and have a lot of them, but it's great to hear from people who have been there and done that in terms of what equipment gets used.

I think I'm well set on wilderness survival equipment and knowledge. I do quite a bit of backpacking (just got back on Sunday from a backpacking trip through the Peruvian Andes...it's amazing, and literally breathtaking, to be in 15,000 foot high valleys!) and other wilderness travel. Backpacking gear is generally very packable and light weight, and I'll surely carry some as backups for boat systems and for emergency use. I have enough high quality outerwear to stay dry and warm in conditions far worse than I'll experience on the water in Alaska...especially when I have the dry, warm cabin of a C-Dory.

As for fuel...I know it's going to be expensive, but its a price I'm willing to pay. I intend to run long days at displacement speeds regulalry but also will not hesitate to take advantage of calm weather to run at higher speeds. I have an autopilot which will facilitate long days underway regardless of speed.

I've got a spare prop, spare fuel filters and spark plugs and fuses and the tools to change them. I'll definitely add another anchor and rode. I'll buy and learn how to use a multimeter. I have a ditch bag, although I think I'll add some more emergency water and food.

I've gone back and forth on what kicker to get, and based on threads I've read on here the 6hp Tohatsu seems like a good match for the 22. I had a Yamaha T9.9 on another boat and it was a PITA...heavy, hard to use, and it didn't matter if I was at full throttle or half, the speed was the same. The Tohatsu I plan on buying will be extremely basic and with a Garheuer davit I should be able to put it on the 8 foot inflatable.

The boat already has a dual battery setup, one house and one start battery with a Blue Seas VSR and switch. I've got all LED lighting and very low house loads, and the Honda BF90D produces plenty of power to charge VHF's, computer, cameras, kindles, etc. when underway through a small inverter.

Again, thanks for the advice. I appreciate it now (even if my bank account doesn't!) and I'll appreciate it even more when I'm out there, I'm sure.
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat and I did the trip to Ketchikan 4 years ago. Total fuel for me for the 30 day trip, which included a circumnavigation of Revillagagto (sic) Island was $3005.00.

A tow line and bridle setup was one thing we brought along. I had no kicker. Pats boat was my kicker if needed.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: