The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Which flag staff to purchase?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Which flag staff to purchase ? Reply with quote

bridma wrote:
On my Port and Stbd quarter I have two Scotty rod holder mounts. I do not fish, so they are not in use. Decided not to remove them as they are not in my way. They would make a good base to mount a staff and flag. I checked out the Scotty misc items on line, never saw anything that could work. Any ideas anyone ?

Martin.

As described earlier on in the thread, I use a rod holder for a nice, secure mount in the right (general) area for display on a powered pleasure craft. The pole was a West Marine, teak and I shim it into the holder with a couple of plastic shopping bags, twisting as it goes in, it gets tight and stays secure.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Which flag staff to purchase ? Reply with quote

Hi Harvey,

Thanks for the reply. I did look at your pic earlier before I posted my question. I do not have a rocket launcher style rod holder on the stern like you. If I did, I would copy your example. Mine is a black ring Scotty mount, you can see it clearly in pic #12 in my album. I was wondering if anyone had something similar and had found an attachment to make it into a flag staff holder? The Scotty fishing gear website actually show a pic of this black ring and call it a "fender tie off ring" ! The rod holder that goes on this mount is no good for a flag staff. It is the type where you lay your rod in the holder and then turn the cuff to lock it in. I could use my rod holders on the radar arch, but then the flag is in the wrong place.

Martin.
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this type

"...we're all in the same boat..."
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been concerned regarding proper etiquette with flags as I have been in US waters a fair bit and want to be appropriate. Kerri On has a flag staff astern for the Canadian flag and in US waters I fly the US flag on the anchor light pole. Is there a better way to show a courtesy flag? I didn't want it on the bow rail as that is for club pennants. I try to remember to strike colors by sunset it's just one of those traditions to show respect for country. I found myself this past season taking a moment of gratitude while putting flags away for being able to live free. Flags mean a lot. George
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghone wrote:
I have been concerned regarding proper etiquette with flags as I have been in US waters a fair bit and want to be appropriate. Kerri On has a flag staff astern for the Canadian flag and in US waters I fly the US flag on the anchor light pole. Is there a better way to show a courtesy flag? I didn't want it on the bow rail as that is for club pennants.

George,

Just wondering what you ever worked out for flying a courtesy flag (my 22 seems to be missing a starboard spreader Wink).

If anyone else has input, that would also be welcome.

Sunbeam
amy and karl

City/Region: Graham
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: C-DAISY
Photos: C-DAISY
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taylor Made has a great rail mount flagpole and socket that fits the factory radar arch nicely. We have a couple on c-daisy that have held up well for a few years now. I don't think you would have to ever replace it.

Karl
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Karl,

I don't have a radar arch, but perhaps I could mount the same type of flag holder from the starboard/forward handrail - although that might not work with certain dinghy types... not sure on that yet.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
The proper place to fly an American Flag is from a stern staff of a boat under power. It is fairly easy to fit a proper stern staff to any of the C Dories. An American flag should have an inch on the fly for each foot of the over all length of the vessel--thus a 22 foot C Dory would fly a 24" long flag.

I am all for flags, but a 24 inch flag on a C-Dory seems kinda big to me.
Bill K

City/Region: Toledo
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: NIC'L PIC'L
Photos: NIC'L PIC'L
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I use on my radio antenna, it works very well.

Watch the video.

http://www.flag-flyer.com/products.html

Bill Kelleher

Sunbeam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
thataway wrote:
An American flag should have an inch on the fly for each foot of the over all length of the vessel--thus a 22 foot C Dory would fly a 24" long flag.

I've used this guideline (1" on fly for each foot of boat length) and found it to work well. Granted, it was on a larger boat, so maybe something is lost in translation/proportion on a smaller one? That said, I find a generously sized flag to look nice, whereas a "smallish" flag sort of looks meager to me. I guess I figure if I'm going to fly my country's flag, lean to the generous side.

Too, it needs to be larger than the courtesy flag, and I don't want that flag to seem "minature," so there's that.I guess I'll start with a 24"-on-the-fly U.S. flag and see how it looks.

Sunbeam
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
thataway wrote:
The proper place to fly an American Flag is from a stern staff of a boat under power. It is fairly easy to fit a proper stern staff to any of the C Dories. An American flag should have an inch on the fly for each foot of the over all length of the vessel--thus a 22 foot C Dory would fly a 24" long flag.

I am proud of my country. Chapman's page 855, 66 edition--the most recent I have of 3--states: Size of Flags....."US Ensign (the 50 Star Flag with stripes), should be one inch on the fly for each foot of boat length."

On a power boat the proper place to fly a courtesy flag (Flag of the country visited) is the bow staff. Some power boats have a flag mast--and fly the courtesy flag from a Stb Spreader. Some have flown it from the Stb antenna, if strong enough. I have done this lacking a bow staff. Don't forget the quarantine flag--I use the Stb VHF antenna, about 2 feet off the cabin top. The courtesy flag should not be set until the vessel has cleared into the country --Chapman--(but some countries require that the flag be hoisted on crossing their border).

From the US Power Squadron on the Courtesy Flag vs the Burgee:
"If your vessel is mastless, it should wear this "courtesy flag" at the bow, in lieu of a squadron or club burgee, or on a starboard antenna strong enough to support it. It your vessel has one or more masts, display it single-hoisted at the outboard signal halyard of the main starboard spreader. Move any flag normally flown there to the inboard starboard halyard or, if your boat has only one halyard per side, to the port spreader halyard.

The customs observed in various foreign waters differ from one another. Try to learn the correct procedure for the country you are entering. For example, is some countries it is customary to fly the courtesy flag only after the quarantine flag (the yellow 'Q' flag) and the vessel has been granted pratique by the appropriate authorities.

Do not fly a foreign courtesy flag after you have returned to U.S. waters. It is not to be used as a badge of accomplishment for having cruised to another country."

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few pics of our 24 inch flag. I think the size is just right.

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
sport fishers--where the flag is flown aft the tuna tower, to keep the cockpit coaming clear for fishing lines.

this is why I like to fly my flag from the radar arch.

i just watched the video of the flag holder that goes over the vhf antenna. That is slick and just what i was looking for. I'm going to make a couple of those and see how I like them.

I had flown a old cbrat bungee from the anchor light but it wore it out and broke it.

Sunbeam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

"If your vessel is mastless, it should wear this "courtesy flag" at the bow, in lieu of a squadron or club burgee, or on a starboard antenna strong enough to support it."

Thanks for that. So it looks like either a bow staff or a staff mounted on the starboard/fwd. handrail would work (I don't think my VHF antenna would support a flag, although it is to starboard).
ShellBack

City/Region: Victoria
Vessel Name: Thalassa
Photos: Thalassa
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KO. I do have scotty down riggers but have no separate rod holders as they are mounted on the the riggers. I do not need any more rod holders in the boat. I want to fly our flag correctly at the stern but no mounts without putting holes in Thalassa for mounts. Not going to happen. I have thought of maybe mounting on the swim grid rail and just have to find a angled bracket that opens and clamps so that I do not have to undo any mounting. Suggestions ??? Confused Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: