The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

What do you do with your truck and trailer when crising?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lanlocked

City/Region: Chatham county
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Resilient
Photos: Resilient
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: What do you do with your truck and trailer when crising? Reply with quote

After my experience with my Florida trip I was wondering what you do with your trucks and trailers while you are cruising for a week or to once you travel to a distant location?
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We usually store ours at the marina where we launch if they have the room. Have paid $5.00 per day but is fairly secure. Make sure you have a hitch lock on the trailer and maybe a chain padlocked around one of the wheels.

Regards, Rob

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Storage lots or secure marinas. Lock hitch to the truck and the coupler on the ball,
. I use a "boot" on one of the wheels.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just leave it in the ramp parking lot. We have fairly safe public ramps here. You can not stop anyone from braking in no matter where you park it. Even in marina yard or your own house. You can make it harder. Locks and alarms. I like to place a game camera near by so at least I have a picture to show the police. Never know what you will see on that. Also try to get the gas tank as low as you can. no reason they should drive on They won't get far that way. To bad I can get my hands on a few flash bangs anymore.......
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: What do you do with your truck and trailer when crising? Reply with quote

We have normally picked out the starting point of a cruise based on the proximity of launch ramps and truck and trailer storage. In 2011 we started out in Ft. Pierce, launched close by and left our truck in a locked yard a the Harbortown marina. Cost about 100 dollars in was a secure arrangement. We cruised 350 miles down to Key West in 13 days and got a rental car (Enterprise) to go back up and get our truck and trailer. We sat for a few days on the way down waiting on weather as March can be a windy month in the keys. We were going to cruise back north and a couple bad weather days is what caused the decision to waste less time by getting the boat back on the trailer and heading back to Key Largo with the boat on the trailer rather than sitting out the weather for a couple days. For us we decided that this year it made better sense to pick spots than we could enjoy for a week at a time doing day trips or even run somewhere and anchor for a couple nights if you wanted.. This way you avoided expensive overnight transcient fees and got weekly rates which are usually half of the daily rate. The real plus was you always had a vehicle and the trailer near the boat. That in itself if you is great if the weather works against you. Then after a week we trailered the boat to a new place sometimes only 50 miles away. Then put the boat back in and ran day trips. This allowed us to buy fuel on the hard instead of paying marina prices. And the freedom of always having a vehicle for land based excursions. So parts of the country are safer than others. No fun coming back to find your trailer is gone. To each his own. The cruising with one night transcient dockage and marina gas prices can get expensive. This year we went to four different locations each for a week long stay and while we liked cruising this worked out better for us.
D.D.

Lanlocked

City/Region: Chatham county
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Resilient
Photos: Resilient
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good ideas here.
Thanks Brats
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: