The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Twin Power vs Single
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grutledge

City/Region: Brentwood Bay
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Twin Power vs Single Reply with quote

OK I have read a few threads on this and people seem to have their opinions on using twin 40 or 50 HP engines or a single 90 (or similar) HP + a 9.9ish kicker. I am undecided on what the best option is. Here are some things I have heard and I would love to get opinions from C-dory owners.

Single + Kicker

- Good because you only have one large engine to maintain.
- Bad because people tend to not use their kicker so when they need them, they don't work.

Twin

- Bad because you cannot get counter rotating props in 40-50 HP so the boat tends to turn when you accelerate. Is this true? Can anyone confirm or deny this?
- Bad because you have two large engines to maintain approximately doubling your engine maintenance cost
- Good because they look cool Very Happy
- Good because you always tend to use both engines so if one breaks down you can still get home at a reasonable speed.
- Good because you get better fuel consumption. At least that is what the performance spec say on the c-dory site. Anybody have any other experience on this front?

Any other pros/cons for these two setups?

Thanks for any input.

Glen
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glen,

Just run a search on this site of single vs twins and then arrange for a few weeks off work to read about this topic! Let's just say that it's come up before!

Best regards,

Nick
"Valkyrie"

Last edited by Valkyrie on Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Desolation Cruiser

City/Region: Powell River
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider Evinrude e-tecs take most of the maintenance costs out of the equasion.
I'm leaning towards twin e-tecs on a 22 cruiser. Probably 50 's Very Happy
Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For most of us, it is pretty hard to make a direct comparison...because we have either one setup or the other (not both!).

I experience NO tendency to "turn" with twin Honda 40's.

I bought the boat used, and paid to have the engines checked out and serviced the first year. Thereafter, I have had NO maintenance costs except for oil, grease and gas filter.

I have had 2-3 occasions when I was glad I had a second motor to get home (without much, if any, trouble).

I prefer to run both engines, even when trolling at the 10 mph speed limit on the Erie Canal. It makes for a quieter and smoother ride.

I feel I get quite good mileage. The engines are 1988. Across the past five seasons, I have averaged 5 mpg.

Hope this helps.
grutledge

City/Region: Brentwood Bay
C-Dory Year: 2003
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - I had no idea there were so many threads on this subject. Sorry for bringing up old news. Obviously I am just getting into this game. But clearly this is a relevant topic. I will spend the next few weeks combing through the threads. Sorry to bother you.

Glen

PS I do appreciate the responses. Especially on the left turning issue! Thanks
goldpan

City/Region: Campbell River
C-Dory Year: 2007
Photos: REEL KNOTTY
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never noticed any tendency to turn under acceleration and as previous threads have pointed out- twins are sexy
REBEMUP

City/Region: Santa Cruz
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea-Cruz
Photos: C-Cruz
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a number of people say having two engines have saved them from having to be towed. What you might want to remember is if you have two engines you are twice as likely to have an engine failure.

I prefer one well maintained reliable engine but then I used to fly single engine planes and never worried about engine failure or wanted the complexity or cost of dealing with a twin.

And, this discussion will last longer than all of us and our engine(s).

Ron

Nutty B

City/Region: Canby
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Nutty B
Photos: Nutty B
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm new on the topic too. My thought is, twice the engines twice the gas. I know the math isn't exact but the theory works in my head.

I have to say, I'd love to drive a C-Dory with duals just to feel the differance. I'm not sure they can beat me on hours or miles to the gallon.
C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Glen,

I'm a huge proponent of one main engine and a kicker. Your "pros" missed two important advantages/considerations in its favor.

- The kicker is always out of the water. So when you have two large engines and you strike an object in the water, you can easily put both engines out of commission. It happens more frequently than one would think. So with a kicker, you are at least assured that it will be there for you if you spin a prop or damage the lower unit.

- The C-Dory as well as the Marinaut are shallow draft boats. What happens if you venture into a foot of water such that you can't operate you main engine? It's happened to me twice in three years, because I love gunkholes. The main engine would not operate, because the water intake port would be out of the water. With a kicker, you can operate the kicker's shallow water drive in very shallow water. In the case of my (sold) CD 16 Cruiser, it could operate in less than a foot of water. Some may say that if you are in a foot of water, why not just get out of the boat and walk the boat to deeper water? On a sandy bottom, sure -- that would work just fine, but what if the bottom is muddy?

- Some will say that big engines are as reliable as a car engine -- you don't need a kicker; should something go wrong, all you do is call SeaTow or BoatsUS. I had five engine failures on the water with a brand new boat after its first 20 hours. It was a wiring harness issue that would cause the motor not to operate for several hours, then mysteriously clear up (of course, no one knew it was a wiring harness issue at that time.) On the first failure, I called SeaTow. They were great, and arrived within 20 minutes or so of the call. However, that was a bad situation, because my boat was in a large commercial river and drifting toward the spot where large ferry ships come in to dock. My anchor would not hold, because the riverbed was deep and made of hard rock. A kicker gives you an extra measure of safety to get out of situations in which you are immediately in peril.

As for maintaining your kicker -- it should be treated as importantly as your main engine. Since it most likely has a carburetor, you should treat the fuel and start it frequently so as to ensure it is there when you need it.

Finally, it is such a great feeling of comfort having a second motor on the transom -- out of the water and protected, to be there when you need it the most. Ahhhhhhh. That's why my wife and I decided to place a kicker on our new Marinaut. If you get a chance, see Les Lampman's photos of the heavy-duty kicker bracket on his Facebook account -- Folder Day 17 Pictures 1 and 2. In a few days, he will be installing a new Tohatsu 9.8 HP kicker motor. It will be configured so that the throttle and steering can be controlled from the helm. The thing that is really nice about this exceptionally light motor is that its controls: shift lever, electric start button, choke, throttle -- all are located directly at the front of the engine. Also, if you notice: Les installed a robust handle to grab hold while lowering or raising the engine. How easy can it get? Here is the link to his folder:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Marinaut-Boat-Company-wwwmarinautboatscom/139546952799810?ref=hnav

Rich and Betty

matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Twins Reply with quote

Who are we kidding guys? There are a million threads because we love to talk about it Very Happy

I have owned and used singles, twins, and quads. I prefer twins for my personal boat for the handling advantages and the redundancy of "main" power. It really boils down to your preferences. Engines with the same prop rotation will not turn you to the left. If you get a kicker - run it every time you run your main at least for a little while.

I had a good laugh with an earlier comment - right on the mark - with twins you are twice as likely to have an engine failure. BUT you are half as likely to be stranded.

The captain's here have collectively identified all the advantages and disadvantages. Good luck with your decision.

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nutty B wrote:
I guess I'm new on the topic too. My thought is, twice the engines twice the gas. I know the math isn't exact but the theory works in my head.
<stuff clipped>

The theory is wrong since the horsepower of each twin engine is typically around 1/2 of the single the same boat would be equipped with. Fuel consumption is based more on how much horsepower you're generating. One 100HP engine wide open will use approximately the same amount of fuel as two 50HP engines wide open. It will weigh a little less and hence that small difference in weight will have some impact on fuel mileage but it's negligible.

Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only had experience with a main and a kicker but I'm very happy with this arrangement. Earlier this month, the fuse to the ignition switch went out, we couldn't find it and we were literally in the middle of the San Juans. Our kicker took us approximately 20 miles to our safe haven. Ran like a champ, we had it tied to the main so we could steer from inside the cabin. The kicker served it's purpose and the it sipped the fuel. I probably burned 2 gallons on the kicker. It took longer but it was a flat, warm gorgeous day so no complaints.

On top of that, while fishing I think I prefer running off the kicker rather than trolling on a 40 or 50hp twin. Just my $.02.

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
bjidzik

City/Region: Juneau
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Betty Joe
Photos: Betty Joe
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing mentioned about the kicker was how much use it gets. I don't use mine much. I do fire it up at least once a month during the boating season. If you can run on it for a few hours, or use it for trolling, the better. Kickers seem to start up better when they're used once in a while.

Brian & Helen Idzik
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had kickers on almost all of my outboard powered boats--never had twins on outboard boats, except the Tom Cat--and personally don't see the reason for them until you get up in boat size where you need the HP or a catamaran. The kickers were also used as dinghy motors, and thus used on a very regular basis--probably nearly as much as the main engine.

In fact many of the outboard engines are car engines (Honda, Suzuki etc). which have been converted for marine use.

The kicker needs to have separate fuel and electric systems. These are the items most likely to fail. Most "failures" can be rectified on the water by checking fuel and electric components of the system. To have a main engine catastrophic failure is extremely rare. But this is only one person's opinion.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From recent experience it is virtually impossible for the average user to diagnose and rectify an electronics fault on a modern engine without the factory tools. (Some "qualified" Honda mechanics armed with computer even get it wrong Angry ) Even if you can maybe guess at it you will not have the simple diagnostic tool of being able to swap the suspect part with the "other" engine unless you have twins. How many of us are carrying (for example) an $1100.- ECM unit for a Honda or even a $380.- start relay. Both of which will shut your engine down for multiple reasons including straight failure of the non repairable part.

It is a personal choice but even with 135 HP left as my "kicker" I deliberately waited for a calm day to leave safe harbor and head for what I hoped was an engine shop (another story Angry )

If the ECM had failed while in the middle of the strait of Georgia in significant seas as we had experienced two days before. I would have been more than happy to have 135 HP and 9 Kts available to me.

Just one experience and one viewpoint.

M

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: