The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Anchor light not working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
afforys@hotmail.com

City/Region: Umatilla
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:29 pm    Post subject: Anchor light not working Reply with quote

The anchor light on my 2007 C dory 22 foot cruiser is not working. All the other lights are working. When I push the switch there is a click and the red light lights up for a second then goes right out. It sounds like a fuse is blowing. Is there any way to get a wiring diagram from CDory?
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you could get one, they would be hard to read, and if changes were made by previous owners, it would be worthless. Easier to look at the back of the switch and start there. If it was a fuse blowing, you would have to replace the fuse or press in the button, if that style of fuse. The fact your other nav lights are working, I don't think it would be the fuse. Are you sure the anchor light is not working and it's not just the red indicator light? Assuming you have a two way switch (one way for anchor only, the other way turns on all nav lights), does the anchor light work in either switch position. If it works in one position and not the other, good chance you have a bad switch. IF the anchor light doesn't work at all, could possibly be the bulb. The red light on the switch is usually wired separately and only tells you that the switch is on. (Assuming that the switch is wired properly). Just some ideas to start with.
afforys@hotmail.com

City/Region: Umatilla
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the suggestions. I did have the bulb checked but that was a while ago. I'll have to check it again. Do you think maybe the relay is not working? How complicated is it to change the relay?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afforys@hotmail.com wrote:
Thank you for the suggestions. I did have the bulb checked but that was a while ago. I'll have to check it again. Do you think maybe the relay is not working? How complicated is it to change the relay?

I have never seen a relay on the C Dory 22 for the anchor light. There is a switch as Colby describes. The 2007 has a single bulb. Some of the earlier 22's have two bulbs in the "anchor"/"steaming light" There can be several ways the boat is wired. My recollection is that the 2007 22 has a single switch, one position is "nav" for navigation, that lights up the all around "steaming light". which is also the anchor light and the red and green side lights. The "Anchor" position energizes only the all around white light--not the side lights.

After checking out these books/tutorials, you should be able to see if a circuit is energized or not. You will want to test the back side of the switch on your console, and see if there is power on the "out" or 12V+ side of the anchor light circuit at the switch. If there is power there, then you can trace it to the light socket at the top of the pole and see if there is power there.

This is probably the time to start learning about how diagnose and resolve electrical issues in the C Dory (or any other boat). Do you have a digital or analogue volt/ amp meter? If not go the the big box hardware store or Amazon and buy a digital/volt/amp meter. There should be a brochure with it that tells you how to use the meter. There are several "12 volt" "Bibles" which address use of the meter and 12 volt systems in boats. "The 12 Volt Bible for Boats" or the "12 volt Drs. handbook...." A bit more comprehensive is one of the several books by Nigel Calder: " Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual". The 4th edition is over $50. But the 3rd edition is about 140 pages less and just as appropriate for C Dory owners, and can be found used for $20.

Not only do you learn to repair the current issue, but down the line, whn you are in a remote area you will be able to diagnose and repair your electrical problems.

There is also a number of U Tube Videos. I like the one "Learn to use a Multimeter" 28:43 minutes long.

Often time problems with the anchor light, is corrosion. Two places are most likely to have issues. First where the anchor light plugs into the socket on the top of the cabin house, and second in the socket the bulb fits into. Cleaning the contacts will take care of this.

If you are having problems along the way, send me a Private Message and I will help in real time.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: