The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Water leaking into cabin, 22 ft. crusier

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Hopatcong

City/Region: Lake Hopatcong
State or Province: NJ
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lilian Marie
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Water leaking into cabin, 22 ft. crusier Reply with quote

I have 2000 22 ft. cruiser. This is my second season of ownership.
The floor of the cabin collects water when it rains but otherwise remains dry when boating or docked. I did not have this problem last year. Can not figure source of water. Water is easily sponged but I have to roll up rug when expecting rain. Any suggestions where to look?

Appreciate any help,
Captain Hopatcong,
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you bilge pump is in the cockpit just outside the door, check and clean the intake filter. Lake Hopatcong! Spent many fun times at Bertrand Island about 60 years ago!

"...we're all in the same boat..."
easternshore22

City/Region: Eastern Shore
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same issue in my 1996 22' Angler during big downpours (if it is a long steady soaking rain, no problems). I checked windows, through hull fittings, anchor well, etc and could not find any trace of water. Once when it was raining hard I stayed in the boat to check the source of the water. Apparently the bilge pump pumps water faster than it can get into the well. This causes the pump to stop while there is still water in the cockpit outside. The consequence of this is that the bilge well fills and water gets into the cabin through a bad joint on the starboard side of the bilge well. I sealed it and problem solved.

When it rains try to stay in the boat and check for the source of water.

Franco

Eastern Shore, MD
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check that pump and add a one way valve so it does not back flow when it shuts off. this can fill your drain and over run it. also check around the inside of the rub rail. These some times leak. also the thru hull on the side of the cabin where you fill you water tank. sometimes those will loosen and leak.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another place to look is along the rub rail in the cabin. The rivets are covered by glass/resin, but have been known to leak. You might see streaks down the inside of the hull.

The anchor well is another place that has had issues.

If you have a mooring cover or camperback, leaving that on during a rain should tell you if it is coming from the cockpit or bilge pump.

Nainu

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Nainu
Photos: Nainu
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem. Significant water on rare occasions after a rain. Ultimately discovered that water entering from rubrail at aft cabin bulkhead. There was a gap at hull joint there that was supposed to be filed with putty before hull seam was fiberglassed, since this spot could not be taped and fiberglassed. Water got into wood in bulkhead, then froze and cracked the fiberglass at the joint inside of my cabinets. When it rained and the boat was at the right angle on the trailer, water ran down inside the rubrail to the bulkhead then into the cabinet through the crack. Was perplexed for some time about this until I noticed a small spot of mildew and identified the crack.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem with my 22 early on. I discovered that water was coming in under the fill port for the freshwater tank. That sits right in front of a fiberglass "dam" that is designed to keep water that runs down the side of the boat from entering the cockpit. If the fill hole isn't sealed well, water can come in there.

As for installing a one way valve in the bilge pump line as Tom recommended, I'd advise against that. One way valves not only obstruct the flow of water a little, they occasionally stick and obstruct the flow of water a lot. A bilge pump is an important safety feature and you want it to operate at its best when you really need it. Nearly all bilge pump manufacturers specifically advise against installing a one-way valve in a bilge pump line due to their tendency to stick.

See for example -
http://www.docksidereports.com/bilge_water_blues.htm or
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/bilge_pumps.htm or the manual that comes with any Rule bilge pump.

McDory

City/Region: Edgewater, FL
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: McDory
Photos: McDory
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 2001 22' C-Dory there is a plastic removable plug directly under the door. I had a problems with a very small leak from the plastic fitting that the plug screws into. I removed the fitting, cleaned it, caulked it and remounted it. I also put some teflon tape on the plug itself. I haven't had a problem since then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: