The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Shakedown cruise --If you only had 2 weeks to spend in WA...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I was going to plan that trip for someone else I would have to ask a few questions. How do you feel about anchoring over night? How often do you need a shower? (Even three days does me fine when boating). Do you want to cook on the boat or eat out? Do you like art and shopping or history? Are you going to fish?

We try to stay on the anchor whenever we can and pull a day stop or anchor near a place to shower every third day. We like to look at art galleries and museums but hate shopping and crowds. We love Ice cream and good food but eat on the boat most days. And we love to fish and crab. Do you want to see wild life? We always do. Do you like to hide way and read? Are you bringing a dog? Do. Not the first time.

So here’s my two week run to see the most. First off make sure you can go to Canada. Well worth it and you will get bored in the san juans in two weeks, well maybe.

Starting at les's for a training session and leave early afternoon for James Island. Short run from cornet bay, well protected and the dock should be empty in September. Hike over the island at dusk to the east side and watch the ferry go by in the dark. Love it. Do not leave any food on the deck including the ice chest unless you can lock it. James has the biggest fearless raccoons in Washington. You will be boarded by a raiding party.

Day two head to Friday harbor but make a lunch stop at Spencer spit. Anchor out and row the dinghy in. (if you don’t have one for the trip I will lend you one) go for a walk around the salt water pond and the spit itself. Then head to Friday harbor for the night. It's the heart of the san juans and you should see it once. Go to breakfast at the little place next to the theater, long line great food. Only place I will wait in line for food, ever.

If you want to see killer whales on your trip then in the morning you should go on a guide boat to see the whales. They will get you on the whales 80% of the time, which is better then you will do yourself unless you know how. Pm me if you want to know how. There is even a 25 c-dory, soul mate, that guides as a whale watching boat. Really nice guy, look him up online. The whales are worth the money for the guide boat or the gas in your tank if you want to do it in your boat. Just allow a whole day for this either way. Then run to British camp before sun set to anchor in garrison bay.

Day four. In the morning you can walk the old British fort and the surrounding trails. After lunch make the short cruise to Stewart Island and stay at the dock or anchor out. Hike the trail around the island to the light house at turn point. It’s a good hike with some hills so take a snack and water. From turn point look out you can see a good bit of Canada and the gulf islands.

Day five. I say go to Canada, go west young man. I would really think about going to Canada. Lots to see and do. It’s a really short run across the border to Sidney to clear customs. I pick Sidney for a few reasons. It's close and easy to get too. If you cannot get around to Victoria because of wind you can take the bus from Sidney to Victoria. Only takes a half hour and your right in down town Victoria. I would prefer to take the boat to the Victoria water front and spend two days going to the museums and watching the street performers (love the Darth Vader playing a fiddle on the side walk) and eating at the shipping container. Best fish and chips anywhere. They only serve lunch and its all take out. its a shipping container behind the customs dock that turns into a kitchen for three hours a day. Love it.

From Sidney or Victoria you can take a bus to Buchard Gardens. Plan to spend most of the day. Its a wonderful and amazing place. A old quarry that was turned into a example of floral overload. You have to see it. If you go on Saturday night they have fireworks in the summer. You can also take the boat around to Sannich inlet and anchor right behind the garden and dinghy in to the dock to enter the gardens if you wish. We have done both.

While in the Sidney area spend the night in Sidney spit. It's a marine park on the end of a island near Sidney. Lots of wild life and trails to walk. Visit the east side of the spit at low tide. Lots of pools and birds to see . We have seen eagles, marsh hawks, deer, kingfisher, seals, egrets, etc etc.. Just a wonderful place to stay and relax. You can anchor or stay at the dock or even a mooring buoy.

Now its day 7 or 8 depending on how much you did in the Victoria area. Time to head north. I would head to Ganges harbor for at least a day trip if not overnight. You can go there and then run to Montague harbor to spent the night on anchor or at the dock. If you do stay at Ganges do not stay at the city dock or salt spring marina. One is unsafe and the other is owned by aholes. But that’s just my opinion. We loved End of the harbor marina. Its a little farther away for town, another 200 yards, but they are really nice folks. Clean showers, laundry, and they rent scooters. A scooter ride is a great way to see all of salt spring island in one day.

From here on you can go to a lot of different towns or harbors. Chemainus is one of my favorites; they have ice cream, with its 40 or so wall murals. Great place to walk town but I would leave and over night at Thetis island, Go to the marina in the back. or head up to lady smith. Or, there are a lot of or's at this point, Wallace island or De courcy island. Both have several nice anchorages, some with docks.

Now in the morning you can head thru Dodd narrows to Nanaimo. I would get a dock spot at New Castle Island and take the shuttle boat to down town for the day and then come back to the quieter and peaceful marine park docks at new castle. The enter harbor docks can be busy and noisy. If its a weekend the ferry from the dinghy dock pub on Protection island can be noisy until early in the am as the last ferry does not bring back the singing drunks until 3am. They are not on key, hell they can’t find their keys, which is a good thing as they should not drive.

I forgot what day it is but who cares your on vacation. Get up early and listen to the vhf to see if whisky gulf is open or closed. If it’s open to traffic get going and cross the straits of Georgia before A) the wind comes up or B) they start to shoot torpedoes. Either way you are better off crossing the gulf early and head to the east side. You can go to smuggles cove, Pender harbor or Egmont for fuel Fill up before you head to chatter box falls. I like to stop at Egmont and hike the trail to Skookumchuk Narrows to watch the tide change and see kayaks surfing the 8 ft standing waves just off the rocks. Fun to watch and looks scary to try. After that you can run for the inlet and the entrance to chatter box falls. Try to time your arrival for the entrance for just before the slack tide hi or low. Stay the night hell stay two nights and just sit and read and relax.

Now you can go home by going back thru the islands or down the coast. I would run back to Winter cove in the gulf island or even tumbo island if the weather is nice. Both are great places to anchor and spend the day walking the shore and looking at wildlife. One day this year while in winter cove I took a dinghy ride with the camera. At one point I was looking at a family of river otter, a seal, two eagles , a blue herring, a kingfisher, three deer and a group of buzzards. Ok the buzzards where weird but all this was from the dinghy at the same time. love it.

Now you have to cross back to the USA and clear customs at Friday harbor or Roche harbor. I would pick roche and then head north around orcas and stay at Suica or that other island I can’t remember right now. Stay the night and go for walks in the morning. From here it’s a few short hours to cornet bay down the east side of orcas or take another day and hit anyone of 30 more bays, islands, docks, ice cream shops. You get the idea.

Well that was longer then I planned. You can do all or some at any time. You can cut out parts due to weather and hit places closer. Just remember to have a plan and except that you will have to break it at any time due to wind rain fog or people. You may not be able to get the dock you want and the next place to dock is a hour away. Try to plan to be secure for the day at least a hour before dark. The san juans are not a place to be traveling after dark even if you know your way around.

C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bob,
You are right, one should never use the term “never,” and we suppose we could return someday, albeit by flying to the coast, renting a car, and doing many of the wonderful things that everyone has described. We do plan spending a couple of days close by to Les, because this is, after all, a shakedown cruise. As for trailering the boat at some point in the future, we don’t think so. One of the reasons we got the Marinaut (and the same would be true for any of the C-Dory’s 22 feet and up) is to extend our cruising range in Connecticut. Really, our practical range is from Maine to Delaware and even to Canada via the Hudson River. As for a passport -- this trip, we want to spend the time thoroughly enjoying the San Juan’s and North Puget Sound. Thanks!

SeaDNA,
We bought Waggoner’s guide at Amazon! We are looking forward to seeing La Conner and the San Juan’s.

Charlie and Mellele,
If everything goes well, we should be in Friday Harbor at that time, and we would love to visit you. So let’s exchange cell phone numbers privately.

Bess-C,
I think you may be correct about people becoming a little jaded about the San Juan’s, but we are all like that. We all constantly seek new experiences, because stagnation is a form of death. However, for us, this is an entirely new experience. We intend to spend a little time in Anacortes for provisioning, but not too long.

Thomas,
Thank you very much for taking the time to right such an extensive travel log. While we will not go to Canada -- we’re sure it is a fantastic destination as you and others have described, we highly value your input. My wife and I are social people, but we also like our quiet time. We think we will break up our trip with occasional moorings and anchorages. As for a dinghy, my wife feels uncomfortable with getting in and out of a dinghy. But that’s the nice thing about boating: there are so many different ways to enjoy it. We nevertheless thank you for your kind offer of lending us your inflatable. Thank you, too, for the inside knowledge on the itinerary you provided us.

C-Nile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey,

We just viewed your photos of Princess Louisa -- my God! What a beautiful area. It would have been worthwhile to visit Canada.

Betty and Rich
C-Dawg

City/Region: Spanaway
Photos: C-Dawg
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

End of September? Man, ya gotta hit Sekiu for some coho fishing. Do it on your way back from Canada. There'll be some nice mid-teen sized fish running through there about then.

C-Dawg sold November 2018
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Nile wrote:
Harvey,

We just viewed your photos of Princess Louisa -- my God! What a beautiful area. It would have been worthwhile to visit Canada.

Betty and Rich

Betty and Rich,

Thanks, It is a totaly awesome place and worth every minute of the trip. I noticed that you are retired. So, coming from one who knows nothing about being in that state of affairs, I would say take another couple of weeks here in the PNW and have time to enjoy. Spending only 2 weeks here would be like learning what the game of football is by watching the ball snap, and a pass in the air and never seeing the landing or any of the rest of the game.

Understand, of course, that some of us are a bit biased about our home waters. (Not me though, I just live here Wink Rolling Eyes

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

C-Nile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey,

We wish we could stay longer, but we have a limited time to get the boat shipped back to Connecticut before they close up the boat valet facility for the winter -- that's New England for you. Our time is limited in Connecticut. Our season is April 15 through October 15. Dr. Bob suggested we trailer the boat at some point. Perhaps we will some day and then we could extend the season.

Thanks!

Rich
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rich,

You're welcome here any time. Trailering or even shipping across could work. Looking at our long range forecast right now, you are in for a treat. Summer in September. Great weather for the Sequim Bay CBGT next weekend. Can't say for sure for the rest of the Brat PNW but if you are here, we have "C-Cakes Barry" weather planned.

Travel safe and enjoy.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering how the shake down cruise of the Betty Ann is going. Last report had them heading for Anacortes. Sure hope they took advantage of the calm winds and seas and hit the San Juans. 3kts at Smith Island, up to 8kts at Hein Bank today. It doesn't get much better. Wink

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
Bill Uffelman

City/Region: Las Vegas
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Nile -- ship her to Gratitude Yacht Sales at Rock Hall or to Baltimore Maryland for the winter. There is plenty of fall and spring cruising on the Chesapeake -- great towns to poke into on weekends. You can Amtrak to Baltimore and meet up with your boat for weekend fun.

In the past I have sailed on the Bay on a couple of Thanksgiving weekends keeping my summer tan alive.

Of course in the spring you can launch and bring her south around the cape at Virginia Beach and up to Assawoman Bay/Ocean City MD and Indian River DE or north and east through the C&D Canal and south from Cape Henlopen or north to home.

Just a thought. 8>))

Bill Uffelman
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betty Ann is in Anacortes. I'll be seeing them later today. They have extended their time here and will now cruise to around October 12th.

Sounds like they're having a great time exploring places like La Conner and Anacortes and I believe the plan (loose) is to head to the San Juan Islands this weekend.

Les

www.marinautboats.com
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les Lampman wrote:
Betty Ann is in Anacortes. I'll be seeing them later today. They have extended their time here and will now cruise to around October 12th.

Sounds like they're having a great time exploring places like La Conner and Anacortes and I believe the plan (loose) is to head to the San Juan Islands this weekend.

Les

Good plan! Thumbs Up
C-Nile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Et. Al.,

Betty and I left the Marinaut with Les and Kathy to make some final adjustments (of a minor nature), and we will probably return in March 2012 for two weeks. The cruising grounds of the PNW are among the finest in the world. We plan to get our passports so that if the situation presents itself, we can venture into Canadian waters. The weather, of course, is impossible to predict in advance, so whatever it dishes out to us, we will nevertheless enjoy our return trip.

Thanks,

Betty and Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: