The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Shakedown cruise --If you only had 2 weeks to spend in WA...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Shakedown cruise --If you only had 2 weeks to spend in WA... Reply with quote

Fellow C-Brats: my wife and I solicit your advice. Toward the end of September, my wife and I will be spending two weeks on our new Marinaut on a shakedown cruise before transporting the boat back to the East Coast. So after this two-week period, we'll never be in the PNW waters again. So if you had only two weeks to spend on these wonderful waters, would you stay spend your time around the San Juans, Anacortes, La Conner, and Bellingham waters, or in addition, would you take the time to travel to Seattle and possibly Olympia, which is 140 miles away.

We have read a lot about these destinations on the C-Brats site and the Waggoner Cruising Guide, and know that all these locations are worthwhile. However, with such a limited amount of time that we will never again have before us, we would like to use that time wisely.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Betty and Rich

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Order, That is. What is best, where to go first.

If the weather is at all agreeable, I would make the trip to Princes Louisa Inlet and Chatterbox Falls. That one place will bring you back to PNW again, for more.

Other than that, buy a Washington State Marine Park morrage permit and use it at the parks in the San Juan's; namely Jones Island, Stuart Island, and Sicia Island.

Bring a Passport and go on over to Sidney and around the Sannich peninsual and down to the North entrance to Buchart Gardens. Plan on that for a Saturday night and catch the fireworks as well as the day in the gardens.

And there are probably a few hundred other places too. Maybe you should plan on spending an extra 2 weeks and plan on more time up in the Gulf Islands (Canada waters).

Good luck in sorting out the next 20 or 50 posts with as many other ideas. Lots of choices, and probably none wrong.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Last edited by hardee on Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of going south, I would visit Canadian waters. The Gulf Islands are wonderful, as are points farther north. I've never visited Princess Louisa Inlet and Chatterbox Falls, but it's on my bucket list.

Regardless, have fun!

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Princes Louisa Inlet is a one day trip from Vancouver, BS, or a 2 day trip on the water from points south. Obviously it can be done slower, and worth the trip. Here is a link to my C-Brat photo album from the PLI trip done on a Labor Day weekend. We hit the rainiest Labor Day on record and it was still worth it.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album901&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd second what Harvey said. Olympia and points south are nice but they don't hold a candle to the San Juans and points north.
My IRA

City/Region: Springfield
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Aidiam
Photos: My IRA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betty and Rich,

Wow, we saw your new boat in the production stage yesterday and what a beautiful boat you'll have for your September cruise. It is being constructed and detailed by craftsmen who truly care and are striving to build the perfect boat for you.

As for the cruise, since you will be leaving Coronet Bay, if you plan to camp on your boat, then the Washington Marine Parks Pass is a great choice. Although Pricess Louisa is a spectacular destination, I wouldn't be comfortable selecting it for a first cruise.

Best of luck with your new Marinaut, I know that you're going to love it.

Jerry and Helen

1992 C-Dory 22 Cruiser sold 8/96
1992 OLympic 26XLF Sold 10/2000
1989 Arima 19 SR sold 2003
2004 C-Dory 25 sold 10/05
1992 Bounty 25 Offshore Pilot sold 6/2010
2006 Arima 17 SC sold 9/2012
2013 C-Dory 23 Venture
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would burn the calendar Very Happy
C-Nile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, Constant Craving, Roger,
Thank you for your input. We really appreciate it. We will spend our time in the San Juan’s and in North Puget Sound.

Jerry and Helen,
We are envious that you could see the boat in person while we’re sitting here in the Northeast, 3,000 miles away. Fortunately, Les Lampman is taking very good photos of the boat building process and posting it on his website, so we can get a real feel for the quality of workmanship that is being put into our Marinaut. We do feel very fortunate to have such a talented team of people building our boat. Thanks!

Betty and Rich
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many great places to visit, so little time! (bad paraphrasing) I agree that Princess Louisa and Chatterbox Falls are magnificient, but I also think that staying a bit closer for the shakedown cruise would be prudent. You could spend many weeks in the San Juans and still not see it all... I would start there. Do a night at Sucia on the dock, a night at Friday Harbor or Roche Harbor in a marina (I prefer Roche, I know many others will say Friday Harbor). With all systems go, head out for a night or three at anchor... Reid Harbor or Prevost Harbor on Stuart Island. Back to whichever you missed (Friday or Roche) for a night, then back to visit your boat's birthplace to address any shakedown items. If you did bring your Passport, head to Victoria on Vancouver Island and spend a night or three in the Inner Harbour. Back to Roche to check in with US Customs, and take a short cruise to English Camp to see how a pig nearly started an international conflict. If you have time left, swing by LaConner, Anacortes, and Bellingham.

With that as a start, you will begin to scheme on how you will get yourself back to the amazing cruising possibilities, since you have just scratched the surface. On the next trip out, definitely include Princess Louisa Inlet, the Gulf Islands, and Desolation Sound on the itinerary. Trailers are one of the best option check boxes for these boats. We have been coast to coast to coast with Wild Blue, and we're planning to head back to the PNW again next year.

Congrats on the new boat! Thumbs Up Exciting times ahead.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

c-ness

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C-weetness
Photos: C-weetness
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

San Juans!! You can easily spend two weeks in the islands and if you wish you can try the gulf islands.
C-Nile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Et. Al.:

Unfortunately, we don't have passports, so we can't venture into Canadian waters. However, we can see that the consensus is that the San Juan's and areas around that vicinity in U.S. waters would be well worth our while. You've listed some places that we hadn't considered, so we will look into these as well. We also agree that at first we should stick close to Cornet Bay, albeit Les plans to thoroughly test the boat prior to our taking ownership. Thanks for your advice and best wishes.

Betty and Rich
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I would never say I would not return to these waters. We have cruised in most of the great places in the world--and the PNW remains one of our favorites!

Second--you can get a passport in several days, if you want to spend a couple of extra bucks--and it is definitely worth going further North. Yes, we love the San Juans, but I don't think that a trip to Princes Lousia inlet should be missed when you are up this way. There are a number of other great places along the way, and in 2 weeks you can do a good round trip.

Third, Spend a couple of days close by Les's--and find any bugs which might affect your cruise--and then go. If there are some issues, they could be fixed after your cruise--don't waste the cruise fixing things!

Fourth--you bought an easily trailerable boat--and you should be planing to be using it in many varied areas in the next few years.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betty and Rich,

Get a copy of the Waggoner's cruising guide prior to coming out here. It's $18.57 at Amazon. That will allow you to better plan your days both prior to getting here and while you are here. Since you don't have passports, staying in the San Juans for most of the time would be perfect. As Jim recommended, La Conner would also be great for a day or two. It's a pretty short run from there down to Everett and they have some nice guest moorage + many good restaurants nearby.
caw

City/Region: Rupert
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: MY LEE
Photos: My Lee
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Shakedown Cruise Reply with quote

Betty and Rich

We will be in Friday Harbor[San Juan Island] from Sept 9 to Oct 9 on our 23ft Venture [MY LEE]. If you would have any interest in getting together, let me know and I will send you our cell phone number so you can make contact-----we will be staying in a condo part of the time. If the [MY LEE] is on "G" or "H" dock but we aren't around, you could contact us by phone----would love to see ypour new boat.

Charlie and Mellelee
Bess-C

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Bess-C
Photos: Bess-C
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I think those of us in the Northwest get a little jaded about the San Juan Islands. We have a boat (not our C-Dory) in charter out of Anacortes. It's interesting to see how excited people from other areas are about the San Juan's.

A couple just flew back to Texas today after spending 2 1/2 weeks on our boat. After being on the boat for two weeks, they called Sunday and begged to keep the boat until Friday. We're heading out tomorrow, so we said they could keep it until today. They stayed in just the San Juan's and had a wonderful time.

The beauty of these islands is that there is plenty to do and see from small resorts to uninhabited islands and it is safe and relatively stress free boating. Even when it's blowing outside the islands, it is usually calm enough to go where you want each day. So enjoy the area, I don't think you'll get bored.
Lyle

17 Center Console C-Dory 10/16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: