The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

C-Dory 25 Shower Pump

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: C-Dory 25 Shower Pump Reply with quote

OK, this missive is aimed at the C-Dory 25 and Tomkat owners, though I'm not sure about the latter. All those that have showers on their boat. As you know, the shower drains into a sump, whereby it's pumped overboard with a Rule bilge pump (and float switch.) A standard application, stock parts.

The problem I had is that the pump would run and wouldn't pump. This was an intermittent condition and occurred when I finally used the shower (after 6 years,) and with Rachel and the grandkids aboard. The sump overflowed and there was water all over the cabin floor. At Roche Harbour. Judy was not happy. I was p____ed, since I had checked that sump pump this winter, and it worked.

I checked with the Rule customer support, and they told me to replace the unit, without explaining what was the problem. Let's hear it for customer support. Oh, by the way, they said to install a check valve (aka duckbill valve?) For that suggestion read the next paragraph.

Looking at the installation, C-Dory (at least in 2005,) installed the sump with a loop in the outlet, presumably to prevent water being forced in by angry seas. Reviewing the Rule pump installation manual, they specifically said to avoid this type of installation. They also said don't use a check valve, as it may become clogged. If you wanted to prevent siphoning back in, put in a vented loop. This I did, removing the solid loop that C-Dory used. I used a ¾” vented loop, by the way. The shower sump pump now works like a charm.

My next thought was that the cabin bilge pump is installed with the same type of loop. Not wanting to find out at the wrong time the the cabin bilge pump has the same problem, I'm going to install a vented loop and cut out the coil C-Dory installed.

As to why I finally used the shower after 6 years? Well, there are Canadian marinas that charge $4 CDN for a shower. And $4 CDN is worth more than $4 US.

Boris
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Boris,

We use our shower sprayer all the time... usually as a shower head, other times as a toilet sprayer. Wink When our boat has been stored for a while, that duckbill valve does "close up" - I've had to push a screwdriver through there to open it... and then it works fine. No issue for you, since you replaced it; a heads up for others.

Best wishes,
Jim

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours works; so far. The problem I had w/ it was it would go on, for no reason at all, and STAY on. Replaced the float switch. So far, so good. I've used it (the shower) only a couple of times, when we have warm water and usually while on the hook. If the sun is out (a real "IF" up here) I'll KISS and use our solar shower.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't need a pump/drain today. We just stand in the middle of the yard, dodge trees, soap up and enjoy the 45knot breezes. Rolling Eyes

Thank you IRENE!! Mr. Green

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tom Cat shower drain is accessable from the Stb. fuel tank access plate in the cockpit and then drains by gravity to the Rule sump/pump under the sink. The C Dory 25, is much harder to access the drain, since it is all glassed in--the flow goes from the shower drain across to an area under the cabinet on the port side of the boat--and not a lot of fall for the grey water.

In another boat with a similar arrangement, I found it much better to do away with the sump, and put a strainer, then a diaphragm bilge pump directly in line with the shower drain. There was a switch in the shower, and when the water began to well up in the shower pan, you turned the pump on--and left it on until thru showering. This got away with that nasty shower sump, and all of its problems.

There will be some back flow with any loop--vented or not--and this leaves some residual water in the sump.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: