View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferret30

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lily Pad
Photos: Lily Pad
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: economical new anchor/roller combo? Reply with quote

The boat I bought recently has a bent anchor roller on the front. Might be able to be straightened, but it looked like it crushed one of the plastic rollers, so it might not be worth it. Also the anchor that came with the boat was only used in lakes, and is kind of a toy.

We're not planning on adding a windlass, so I'm not worried about self deployment. I searched this forum for a while but mostly found threads where folks were trying to find matches for existing equipment (anchor or roller).

So what would you recommend for a reliable but not outrageous all new setup, both anchor and roller? We'll probably want a Danforth style anchor. I suppose I should find something that matches the damaged roller's hole pattern, but I could just epoxy the holes so long as the new roller covers the old holes.

By the way (newbie question), when you pull up the anchor, do rollers generally do a good job of keeping the anchor from hitting the bow?

Thanks in advance.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the roller/pulpit will keep the anchor from hitting the bow. If you go with a "Danforth" type--go with either a Danforth HT or West Marine Performance--not a folded metal copy, These are far better holding anchors. Guardian/Fortress are lighter weight, but also have good holding power in similar conditions.

I like the Delta or Manson Supreme as primary anchors, but have anchored many nights with Danforth HT anchors, in sand or mud bottoms.

Windline makes a number of pulpits/rollers and I believe is the brand which is used on some factory boats. You may be able to heat and straighten the current pulpit and find a new roller.

Pulling anchors, is probably what ruined my back--but on slightly larger boats. If you anchor frequently a windlass may help you down the line in life...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ferret30

City/Region: Seattle
Vessel Name: Lily Pad
Photos: Lily Pad
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. The delta type may actually be more like what we'd want. Basically a good emergency anchor for the Puget Sound and nearby lakes. 14# or 22#? There's one for sale on local Craigslist right now...

I might try straightening the roller. It'll probably require a lot of convincing though...
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windline makes good equipment and a bent anchor pulpit could cause trouble even after hammering it out. It has to bear all the forces of the anchor and boat pulling on each other so the extra money would likely be well spent. I'm with Bob, A Delta for primary, a Bruce for second and a Fortress for when we are in areas where the danforth style would be better. As to size, go for the bigger anchor, within reason bigger is better. Congratulations on the new boat!
tpbrady

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

14# is plenty for a 22. I think the 22# might have problems hitting the bow from most rollers used on a 22. The 22# is pretty close on my 25 to hitting.
38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that a 14# Delta is fine on a 22.
REBEMUP

City/Region: Santa Cruz
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea-Cruz
Photos: C-Cruz
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently installed a Windline URM-1 roller, which is for 25' to 54' boats, so probably a little overkill, but it self launches my 14lb Lewmar delta and the anchor never comes near the bow. The URM-1 being larger covers the old, now overdrilled and glassed in, holes. Also the pin in the URM-1 lines up perfectly with the factory hole in the Lewmar.

I feel very safe with the 14lb Lewmar. Actually, I almost never use the Lewma as it is my safety anchor to keep me off the beach if the motor dies. I have a collection of small old danforths, found while SCUBA diving in Monterey, that I am willing to return to the ocean gods if after eating lunch I can't get them up easily.

I am even considering stern anchoring using a 1500lb test line as a safety link incase of a rogue wave. It should just break, dropping the anchor, and not hold the stern down...or so that is my thinking... possibly flawed.

Ron

REBEMUP

City/Region: Santa Cruz
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea-Cruz
Photos: C-Cruz
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops that was 150 pound test line, not 1500 pound test line.

Ron
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget 30 or more feet of 1/4" High Test Chain (GS-40) and 200-300 feet of 1/2" nylon three-strand anchor line.

You can use less chain of a slightly smaller size (15 feet of 3/16") and go down to 3/8" rope, but the larger sizes provide more safety, are easier on your hands, and will fit to a windlass should you decide to add one later, and, as a bonus, you won't have to buy it all over again in the full size version.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the 14 will work IF you have 30 ft of chain. I started with a 14 on the 22 and dragged more then once with the measly 5ft of chain. Once I went to 30 ft of chain and never slipped again and always hooked up right away.

I might have a roller at the house. I changed out the one on the 27 but I have to look for it. email me about it if you are interested in it. If I can find it you can have it for free. Might have to take me fishing for pinks thu. Don't worry if you don't know how I will show you.

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The title of your post makes me think if this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001LJHYDK/ref=asc_df_B001LJHYDK1677635?smid=A18S2VA36NY5VY&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B001LJHYDK

I do not recommend one but I am surprised I have never seen one installed on a smallish boat out in the salt. It would save the back but doesn't deal with chain unfortunately.

Anyway, We have a 16.5 lb Bruce with 25ft of chain and hauled by at Sprint 600 on our 25 and it works great for us. Only dragged once so far but it was windy and rocky and my fault. We also have a Fortress Guardian G-16 backup but admit I have not had occaision to use it for real yet. I agree that the chain makes all the difference.

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above line hauler (it is not really a windlass), only can pull 25 lbs and handles 100 feet of small line--not at all practical even for the smallest of C Dories. Even the large spool ''E-Z Puller" http://ezanchorpuller.com/ has considerable limits when used on one of the C Dories or Tom Cats.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely correct Bob, but when average Joe small boat owner is faced with 1500 dollars vs. 150 dollars, I am surprised I have never seen one as a result.

They would be slick for a lunch hook!
Aiviq

City/Region: Juba
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Aiviq
Photos: Aiviq
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a Danforth for several years on the commercial fishing boat I worked on, and I hated the thing. It was unwieldy, and the moving parts were always flopping around while it was being handled. It always seemed like a hazard to me. The same thing would go for the fortress anchors as well, I think. I have a Delta now and would never go back. A Lewmar Delta with a Lewmar delta bow roller would be a good combination.
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most fishing boats use a variation of the Northhill. These do not fold, and are bulky, but good holding anchors. Not really practical for small boats or yachts, although several models were made and I have two (One a 6# and the other for a sea plane in SS.)

The Danforth is an excellent anchor--if you have a proper pulpit for it. I holds very well in sand--and moderately well in mud. If it were properly fitted, you should not have to handle it--the pulpit/roller, and windlass would have done all of the "work". But depends on what type and size (for example a bow picker gill net boat you cannot have a good bow pulpit).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: