The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

grey water question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: grey water question Reply with quote

My upcoming cruise into US fresh waters will be a first for me. Going into freshwater lakes like Powell, what do we do about sink drains? ie special requirements for grey water. Also on the road as a boaterhome what do you guys do?
Do I need to adapt a grey tank or just not wash dishes?
I have a cd22
George
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no "one" answer.

For a no discharge zone it would be easy enough to fit a small grey water tank (I think something like a Vetus collapsible tank would be great but there are lots of choices) under the galley. Or maybe use some space under the helm seat, or it could be mounted in the stern as well.

If you want to be able to do both then a "Y" valve could be put inline so you could either drain overboard or into an onboard grey water tank.

On edit: you posted this in the Marinaut section so I answered from outfitting a new boat perspective. Then when I re-read your initial post I thought perhaps you meant what to do with your present boat. If that's the case I'd re-post in the General Chat section so more folks might see your question.

www.marinautboats.com
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les gives you the correct answer--that you have an option in any boat to fit a grey water tank. But in reality there are very few areas where you cannot discharge grey water. Lake Powell, Avalon, the Florida Keys and even Lake Champaign you allow the sink and shower water overboard. What is not allowed in all of these areas is black water discharge.

Even if you have a grey water tank--how do you empty it?--same as the black water tank--overboard or thru a pump out--when you can find one.

The reality is that when "Boat camping" we use a small hospital type of patient "personal tub" which fits in the sink, and then dump it into a 3 gallon pail, and then that goes into the septic sewer which is along side of the boat. We have tried--as have several others, making fittings which will twist lock into the macerator pump and discharge to a septic system. This has worked with varying results--non of which I would say are perfect--but are potentially usable.

Unfortunately, there are no "pump over board systems in camp grounds. However, if you wanted to make such a system--there are several diaphragm pumps--both manual and electric which would work to allow you to pump grey and black water into a campground septic sewer.

In the meantime--use that bucket! and Porti potty.

On edit--one other thought--I am sure that Les could make you a pump out system which would allow pump out of grey water to a septic sewer from a holding tank--just need $$.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ghone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, I was hoping for something easy and portable just don't want to break any laws or show poor manners in camp areas.
I have a small wash basin for using at the splashwell galley and will empty that into one of those 5 gallon portable water bags for camping. Then take that over to the sanni dump and voila, all tidy. Thanks guys. George
Chris

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Rana Verde
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George...for campground...or Walmart parking lot use...buy a five gallon plastic bucket with lid, and a five foot length of 1/2 inch ID- 3/4 inch OD braid reinforced plastic hose at Home Depot. Use a Dremel or similar to grind the two dogs off of the inside diameter of the sink drain bulkhead fitting in the hull. The hose is a perfect interference fit inside the fitting. Insert the other end of the hose in one of the holes in the bucket lid. For travel...pull the hose from the boat and insert the end in the other hole in the bucket lid. Very tidy little kit...just don't drive off without it.
ghone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more good ideas! Thanks Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: