View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:52 am    Post subject: The Little Land Loop - THATAWAY gets a new home Reply with quote

Well here it is 0240 EDT in Heathsville, VA. Having a cup of tea waiting for neighbors George and Nancy Bartlett to pick me up on the way to RIC (Richmond International Rolling Eyes Airport) which is about 90 miles away. Traveling to Pensacola by air (first part of Land Loop) to rendezvous with Dr Bob Austin for the change of command on THATAWAY.

We (George and I) plan to check the boat out today (no question about land/seaworthiness in my book, although I've never seen it, I know Dr. Bob (by reputation only)). He and I have been trading PMs since I made a successful offer in late July. I just hope that the Ford Excursion I'm getting with the deal will pull THATAWAY with all of the gear he's bestowing on me! Laughing .

The plan is to rig the boat for travel today and get underway at 00dark tomorrow AM and head up the big ICH (Interstate Coastal Highway) headed North for new waters.

Hope to take many pictures as the trip unfolds and hope I can be worthy of this great boat!

Stay tuned (and please buy CAPTAIN'S CAT before Sally moves out! Smile)

Pictures to follow when I get further computer access and the sun comes up!! Cool

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safe travels and post some pics
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a great trip Charlie , you will enjoy the boat[s]
Marc

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travel safe and keep us posted. Bob and Marie are two of the finest people you will ever meet - gracious, friendly, and knowledgeable; you will feel like family in their company. Their kind reputation is deserved.

Another friend of ours had an Excursion and towed an 11,000 fishing catamaran (with gear and friends/family) all over. No issues. Those things are coveted by their owners. I will look forward to hearing your impressions of the towing portion of your land loop.

Congrats on putting this all together!

Oh, and one more consideration: there was a time when we had two houses and two boats (one at each location). Instead of getting rid of Captain's Cat, maybe you might consider purchasing another home? Something in the south... like maybe the Tropical Tip of some state? Wink

Wishing you good times and safe travels on this trek.

Best wishes,
Jim

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slip is th la conner area are cheap and i could run the motors for you every once in a while. say out to my crab pots and back once a week should keep the gas fro sitting to much Wink
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the well wishers! Long day yesterday, up at 0200 EDT in Virginia, arrived in Pensacola about 0830 CDT, Dr. Bob met me and my first mate (neighbor George Bartlett at the airport). We got off the plane wearing green THATAWAY ball caps with names on the back.. (pix soon). Put a hat on Dr. Bob with his name on the back too!

Off to their beautiful home on the water and after about an hour of sea stories and associated banter, got down to business. What a boat this is!! I'll never remember which switch does what but fortunately, Dr. Bob is only a phone call or e-mail away and we'll figure it all out. So much equipment, nav wise and comm wise, not to mention all the ground tackle. The Excursion is full of spares/tools/boat stuff and it holds A LOT! [Sally will kill me!! but there's plenty of room in my Tractor Barn]. Took down the camper top for travel, strapped it down tight to aluminum Float On (and I hope Float Off tomorrow! Wink ). last night after the temperature and humidity both got below 110 Shocked , Dr. B pushed new grease into the trailer bearings for our road trip.

Will leave this morning (about 3 hours away) for our trip up the ICH (InnerCoastal Highway) to Virginia. Had planned to do the whole 933 miles in one day since I've got a co pilot but on further thinking, we'll stop when we get tired tonight and continue on Sunday.

I do have a bunch of pictures which I will post, hopefully early next week, as soon as I get CAPTAINS CAT off the lift (it has new bottom paint) and THATAWAY on the lift (it has none, which will be great!).

Plan to stop at an exit about 30 miles N of Atlanta to let "cruiserless vinny" come look at a TC255 at exit 111 on I85. Will call him on his cell when we clear Atlanta.

Jim, you are right on concerning the graciousness of Bob and Marie, they are great folks and we are lucky to count among our friends!Love . As for the TX home, I already have a second one in Maine, Dr. B and SC Tom think I should have one in the PNW. I'm pushing my luck with a second TC, I think I'll quit now for awhile. But thanks for the thought! You wouldn't want to trade that TT of Tx home for a home in the snowy wilds of DownEast Maine, would you? You can see the water too, 20 miles out over the ocean, when it's not frozen!! [I thought not...] You like the cold perhaps even less than Dr Bob does!!

Tom, I'll think about it!! Although your boat is longer!!Laughing

Hope all the Brats have a great, safe boating weekend, we'll be in the asphalt channel but will splash on Sunday afternoon in the Potomac River!

Charlie
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Travel safe!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great minds think alike. We proposed that Charlie keep Captain's cat and station it in the PNW--problems solved! We know that Sally will love cruisng up there! Plus we outfittted "Thataway" with all of the Shrimping, and crabbing gear for that area.

What great people Charlie and George are. We hope to meet up with Charlie and Sally at the Gulf Coast gathering in Oct. We had a great time visiting with Charlie--and then going over the boat. As Charlie said--we had to wait until about 9 PM--which made a very long day for both of them) until it was cool enough to grease the trailer bearings. I had tried to use a "Walmart" grease gun--($14) and it had been a frustrationhe night before, after my older good grease gun died. Yesterday I picked up a $40 NAPA grease gun--and what a difference! The NAPA gun worked like it should and we did all of the Posi Lube bearings until all new grease was streaming out in less than an hour. Lesson--don't buy any type of "tool" at WalMart!

We wish Charlie and George good traveling--hopefully it will not be too hot--and they are well supplied with tools, water etc.

It was very sad for both of us to see "Thataway" drive down the street. First time in over 50 years I have not owned a boat I coulod take at least 30 miles to sea and spend a night on.

We know that "Thatawy" will be in very good hands, and it is such a pleasure doing business with Charlie!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi charlie,
congrats to both you and doc! hope you enjoy the boat as much as dr. bob did.
best regards
pat
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I know some mixed emotions here from Dr. Bob, but Charlie got a great boat, and Dr. Bob knows Thataway got a great home! Not to revive Belllingham v. LaConner, Tom, but my vote for Charlie's PNW home for Captain's Cat would be Hilton Harbor in Bellingham! Out of the water storage, no green gunk, barnacles or slime, sling in/out included in the monthly fee, and WE would be happy to make sure the gas does not get stale!!!!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Charlie,

Well, Congrats first. Glad you got the number right, huh? hey, I'll second the PNW home, at least for "Thataway" (and remember, the hands point both directions Laughing ) Upper left side at Three Rivers marina. Inside storage, they do the work(launch and retrieve) to dry storage. Not railer needed.

And for a (I'm sure) very small fee, Shocked I could set you up with some very well qualified "gas doesn't get too old" expert Brat Mr. Green to ensure that the batteries stayed charged and the gas didn't age Cool

Safe travels and fun wakes,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, well, ummm... I happen to know a great location on Cornet Bay that could keep your new TC ready to go at a moment's notice. And certainly we can take care of the fuel "problem"...there's another Captain here that can see to that! Smile

Hope you're having a safe trip though it sounds exhausting.

www.marinautboats.com
Comfortably Numb

City/Region: Greenville
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Comfortably Numb
Photos: Comfortably Numb
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a safe trip, Charlie.

Hey, with Thataway now in your possession, do you need those two rod holders you sent to me a couple of Christmases back? (Or, are they anchors?) I still have 'em, and it sounds like you need more gear! Twisted Evil

Regards,
Mark

Greenville, Illinois

“For this is how the suicide of nations begins, when sentimentality prevails over sense.”
- Roger Scruton
c-ness

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C-weetness
Photos: C-weetness
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I'll jump in on this. If the TC comes to Hilton Harbor in B'ham Pat and can share time taking good care of it. In addition with our TC24 already there it wouldn't be lonely!
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello old shipmate!

Cool trip, dear friend, no tits-up stuff. Am I supposed to send money for your spare TC or will you just bring her up? Les said it very well -- got a slip for her already, and after running my 24 TC for a long time out of the same slip, guarantee you can't find a better place in the PNW (that will get a response or two). But 20 minutes from LaConner, Friday Harbor in 30 minutes, the nerd Bill and Jon/Cynthia (C-Lou) home waters in an hour or so. Lots of shrimp, crab, salmon, etc. And I'm sure I could con Tom into being a fishing guide for you.

Travel safely, and give the admiral a big hug for me -- if you see her again!! Teeth

I've wanted Dr. Bob's toy for a long time, so Mr. Green just call me envious!!

Dusty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: