The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

TomCats over the years.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhstewart

City/Region: berkeley
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: TomCats over the years. Reply with quote

I understand that Fluid Motion built the original Tomcats and after difficulties Triton Marine bought the rights; does anyone know the year of this transition and if there are any differences in hull design or quality control between older and newer boats?
Any years associated with "lemons". How many TomCats have been built and how many still afloat?

Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "original" Tomcat was a 24-footer and built by Toland Marine, the originator of the C-Dory line. In 2000 the company was sold and became C-Dory Marine, Inc headed up by the Reynolds. During their tenure they morphed the Tomcat 24 into the Tomcat 255.

When they encountered some financial issues sometime around 2008 Fluid Marine stepped in (Fluid Motion builds the Ranger Tugs). About a year later the assets of the company were sold to the folks that built Sea Sport. After they encountered problems Triton Marine stepped.

This is the short version.

As for changes I'll have to let individual owners speak up.

www.marinautboats.com
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as quality, I would venture that the current TomCats built by Triton are the best TomCats yet. These guys are very impressive and know how to buid a quality boat. Not to say the 2006-2009 models weren't well built, but I believe they have taken a leap forward.

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2006 was the first year of the 255. I currently own hull #16 (Captain's Cat) and hull #39 (Thataway). They are very much alike except for some small but important details. For example, on #16, all three overboards at the stern were at the waterline and the check valves on the bilge pump and the fish box macerator pump allowed some backflow, both into the bilges and the fish boxes. It was never dangerous, just annoying. I have moved them up on #16 and #39 had the bilge/fish box overboards up about 12".

Also, the cockpit hatches to the twin hulls on #16 were very small (12"x15"), too small to work conveniently through. I changed those to the largest that would fit, 14X30, or so. #39 had the larger hatches from the factory.

Along about 2009, or so, about the time Triton bought the molds, or a little before, they changed the interior to be a molded interior vice the Decraguard built up and removable cabinetry. IMO, not a good move and made the boat a lot less "customizable". Easier to clean maybe but again, not easy to modify. There are pictures of both interiors on some of the threads. In addition to that change, they installed a headliner, much like an automobile with some insulation, I think both in the cabin and the queen berth area. (you new TC owners correct me on this if it's not that way). Again, hard to "stick" stuff to the bulkheads and overhead if you wanted to add goodies. Probably warmer and quieter though but I don't buy boats for that, the Wallas keeps it warm and my hearing is lousy anyway.. Crook

That's my 2CW. Others will probably add to or correct stuff I said!!

Good luck on finding a boat, Captain's Cat is for sale, Lower LH corner of the home page!! My bride says I don't need Cat Cat if I want to keep one Hug. As much as I Love boats, I love my Hug more!!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: