The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Is the Tomcat 255 still being built?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wefings wrote:
I can assure you that would never happen ! I'm guessing that was a tongue in cheek "Warrenisim".

Actually, not. I'm guessing Triton would rather have half a loaf ($$$ for building a bare hull) than no loaf at all. It doesn't sound like we'll ever know, though.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traditional "yacht" finish was white wood, with teak or mahogany trim. One of the reasons is the upkeep, and another is an all teak interior is very dark (as well as heavy). One wants to keep cats light weight. If any thing, the Tom Cat needs more tunnel clearance--and if one was going to do a custom interior, I would split the hulls and add 6 to 8" more freeboard (and tunnel clearance). The draft would remain about the same.

There are other boats which can be ordered in various stages of construction--and I would recommend the Ameracat 27 or 30 if you really want to do a custom interior--I would find a good shipwright to do the work--not a factory. Custom boats can be made much lighter than the Tom Cat--and have better insullation. As for a production boat--the Tom Cat is hard to beat for a "trailerable cruiser". If I were younger and in better health, I would build out the interior of one of these.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Beflyguy

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Seven Please
Photos: Seven Please
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Tomcat, a 2009 model, has a full interior (hull and headliner) and the workmanship is excellent. That is one of the things that sold us on the boat and we are very happy with the quietness and insulation it provides. Whoever did the interior was a craftsman and I appreciate craftsmanship in anything. I don't know who he was but if the entire boat was built with the same attention to detail, I think it would have been defect free. I am happy overall with the boat but there are places that show a more hurried approach to assembly.

Honestly, I am seldom satisfied with anything until I have modified it, but I can't really improve on the hull finish.

Today I'm adding a bigger sink and a better faucet.

Anderson Island WA
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
If any thing, the Tom Cat needs more tunnel clearance--and if one was going to do a custom interior, I would split the hulls and add 6 to 8" more freeboard (and tunnel clearance). The draft would remain about the same.

Bob, we have talked about this before, but it just occurred to me that if one did modify a TC255 like you suggest, how would that affect the positioning of the Armstrong bracket? I'm thinking it would keep the tunnel height the same?

[Apologies for highjacking the thread!]

Warren
GulfSailor

City/Region: Nature Coast
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pleased to say that I can answer my original question as to whether TomCats are still being built.........yes they are!

Found a dealer ad for a 2012 today, although I suppose it's debatable if it's a 2012 or a 2011.

The interior is trimmed in the manner of the 2009 pics I've seen (in which a thousand mice have given their coats to line the walls), and locker doors are now wood rather than teak trimmed.

I think the entrance to the front berth has been enlarged, and the three hatches inside have now been mounted the correct way up, i.e. they drop down so they stay open.

Finally, the switches on the instrument panel have been changed for different models (which I'm not sure I like).
Other than that though, I think it's a huge improvement to the interior.

However, I'm sure there are other differences which the experts will be able to point out.

Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gulfsailor, I can SAVE YOU A WHOLE BUNCH OF DINERO!! Gp price that new one and then get in touch. Mr. Green

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the photos. I doubt that the entrance to the forward bunk is enlarged. It was from the console to the Port hull, with just a little piller there. I had a cushion made so you could sleep for and aft on the port side of the forward bunk (filling in the area where feet were placed on the navigator's seat).

I am not a big fan of "mouse fir". It is easier to add electical/electronics with no liner--although this can lifted or replaced. There are better liner materials (such as closed cell foam).

Hard to say if the doors are better nor not. the latches might be--depending on how they are made. The prior interior doors seemed to do well.

My recollection of the forward hatches is that they dropped down on "Thataway", so that is not a change. If they were mounted the other way, it would be easy to turn them around--holes would match.
Beflyguy

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Seven Please
Photos: Seven Please
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like those wood doors. I think it adds to the interior look and I might add some more wood in ours when I work on improving access to some of the storage areas.

Bob,

On our boat I tried to flip over the hatches in the bow but the holes didn't line up so I just leave the doors off.

Our 2009 has vinyl over closed cell foam in the interior, not the fur covering. Some of the workmanship on the interior above in this photo.

Blaise Recca

City/Region: Raleigh
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GulfSailor wrote:
I'm pleased to say that I can answer my original question as to whether TomCats are still being built.........yes they are!

Found a dealer ad for a 2012 today, although I suppose it's debatable if it's a 2012 or a 2011.

The interior is trimmed in the manner of the 2009 pics I've seen (in which a thousand mice have given their coats to line the walls), and locker doors are now wood rather than teak trimmed.

I think the entrance to the front berth has been enlarged, and the three hatches inside have now been mounted the correct way up, i.e. they drop down so they stay open.

Finally, the switches on the instrument panel have been changed for different models (which I'm not sure I like).
Other than that though, I think it's a huge improvement to the interior.

However, I'm sure there are other differences which the experts will be able to point out.

The dealer is using photos of our boat, Cat O' Mine. That is a 2010 TC255. It is the 1st hull molded by Triton after they started producing the C Dory line. We have added a Garmin 740s to the helm and a few other custom touches to the boat. It was those photos that brought use into the C dory family. When i saw them is was so interested that we traveled down from Raleigh to Allance NC and bought the boat the same day!

Captains Cat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beflyguy wrote:
I really like those wood doors. I think it adds to the interior look and I might add some more wood in ours when I work on improving access to some of the storage areas.

Bob,

On our boat I tried to flip over the hatches in the bow but the holes didn't line up so I just leave the doors off.

Our 2009 has vinyl over closed cell foam in the interior, not the fur covering. Some of the workmanship on the interior above in this photo.

Hard to notice the 'workmanship' with that young lady in the foreground! First Mate??

Charlie
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vinyl looks very nice--and I suspect will do better than the mouse fur. The "tube" for wire race in the piller is a very nice touch.
chriscarrera

City/Region: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Carrera
Photos: Carrera
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find yourself a nice used Tomcat if you want to save money, get a new one if you don't.
A boat is a boat, some are nicer examples, better cared for and others are beat up.
I think the tomcat is a great boat and like any sort of boat needs constant TLC.
We sold our sailboat and got the cat, and love it.
However, as I have heard, probably more so with racing sailboats, buying the boat is the easy part and cheaper part, maintaining the boat, and running the boat can be the spendy and time consuming part.

Just 2cents from a sailboat racer with a tomcat

Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized what I wrote earlier in the thread was not clear . When I said "that would never happen " in reference to Warren's comment about Triton building and Ranger Tugs finishing the boat , I was referring to Ranger Tugs , not Triton.
I find it supremely easy to work with Triton on custom stuff and asking ranger Tugs to make a change just simply wont happen . Thus the comment was referring to Ranger Tugs finishing a C Dory .

dhstewart

City/Region: berkeley
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that Fluid Motion built the original TomCats and after difficulties Trition Marine bought the rights. Does anyone know the year of this change of ownership and whether the hulls are identical in terms of design and quality control before and after the new ownership? Is there any production year of TomCats that are considered "lemons".
How many TomCats have been built and how many still floating?

Captains Cat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhs, see your other thread with history from Les at EQ Marine for dates/owners.

IMHO, none are "lemons" in that sense of the word. See my comments on improvements over the years. To the best of my knowledge, all built (and I don't know how many, it would be hard to determine that but I'd guess less than 250) are still floating or on trailers or on a rack somewhere. If you meant have any sunk, Cry I don't know of any.

Wanna buy one?

Charlie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: