The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Is the Tomcat 255 still being built?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see it demonstrated! There's a thread on here somewhere about a TC fuel tank leak and the efforts to get it out. May have been a TC24 though. There are hatches under the cabinets but you'd have to take the cabinets out and then figure out how to get the tank loose, get all the fill/discharge hoses off of it and lever it out somehow. What we need is a factory picture of them doing it!! Laughing Thumbs Up

Any other TC255 owners have an opinion? Dr Bob, Brent, Warren, Roger??

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kit Kat (Tom Cat 24) removed a plastic fuel tank which had leaked. The tank had some foam around it, and it was a B... to remove. To my knowledge no tank has been removed on a Tom Cat 255. I agree that they should be good to go for a very long time. On the Stb side, the shower pan would probably have to be cut out, and maybe the forward head bulkhead--and galley cabinets. On the Port side, you have some better access--but again the floor would have to be cut out.

I believe this can be done using a Fein type of saw, and rebuilt with minimal damage (with the wood interior) I don't know how the molded interior is done.

I have an extra water tank to go in on the port side--which the factory refused to put in (reason given was they wanted all boats to be identical--and then the next year moved the tank from the stb to the port side!--this was in 2006--not current factory).

It is possible that the water tank could be removed, and then the fuel tank moved forward--but again, we don't know exactly what would have to be done to get the tank free. (Charlie I have a flexiable scope,and we can peak down along the sides if you want).

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
billtwymank

City/Region: Pinehurst - New Bern, NC
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lady KC
Photos: Lady KC
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: TomCat Purchase Reply with quote

Congrats on the purchase of your TomCat,
Cat O'Mine.........

The crew at New East Marine are all great to work with.

There are now 3 TomCats within a short distance of each other.

Hope to see you at the NC Gathering in Oriental.

Captains Cat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Bob, the last time a physician said that to me...

"I have a flexiable scope,and we can peak down along the sides if you want"

I had to drink a gallon of this funny tasting stuff and was sore for a week! Rolling Eyes Mr. Green

Let's don't and say we did!! Laughing

See you on the 19th!! Thumbs Up

Charlie
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No funny stuff to drink--borescope--not colonoscope, and inside of boat hull vs inside of ....well you know!
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, by all means. Let's do it on the BOAT! Might be interesting to see what it looks like down there if it's not too difficult!! Laughing

Charlie
peterbrownell

City/Region: Williston
State or Province: VT
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Destiny II
Photos: Destiny
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, we have a 2009 Tomcat that we bought new from Marc at Weifings. We are thrilled with it. Just completed a two week trip through the Rideau Canal system in Ottawa and down the Ottawa River to Montreal. Everything couldn't have been more perfect.

Our boat has the interior lining. Linda LOVES it. We had Marc's folks install a laminate floor and some other options. The boat is really beautiful. Anyone touring the Vermont (Lake Champlain) area is welcome to stop by. We love to show it off.

Best
Peter & Linda Brownell

Lake Champlain, VT
Sasscom

City/Region: St. Michaels
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: ViewFinder
Photos: ViewFinder
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently purchased a "new" 2009 TomCat from Marc at Wefings and could not be happier. During a two week cruise on Lake Champlain this month, I ran into the owner of "Destiny," another 2009 TomCat who also bought his from Marc. Like us, Peter and his wife could not be happier.

A couple of years ago we looked at a new one at a dealer in Annapolis, and it wasn't finished as nicely as ours. While I liked the overall concept, I wasn't impressed by the interior, as it had a lot of exposed fiberglass and no headliner or cabin side liners. Apparently, some C-Dory owners prefer this level of finish because it allows DIY custom projects, but we prefer a more "yacht like" finish.

I don't know much about the history of this model, but I do know that the boat we have is well built and it has been a pleasure to cruise on. We have downsized from a custom 45-foot Downeast design and are loving having a much smaller boat with outboards. (Those Suzuki 150's are wonderful!)

The one thing we especially love is the static stability of the cat design. It just doesn't rock back and forth at an anchorage or when several people get onboard, as a small monohull will do. This has made downsizing less of an adjustment.

If you're still in the market this fall, check out the November issue of Soundings magazine, which will publish my full report on the TomCat. I would also highly recommend working with Marc at Wefings. He knows the TomCat and the people at Triton. I've heard that the boats from Triton are very well done.
I also think this is a great time to buy a new boat. Good boats like the C-Dory are not going to get any cheaper....and we're not going to get any younger!

Enjoy!

Suzuki 150s
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you George and Peter . I think this demonstrates Triton Marine's and Wefings's shared vision that there is a place for every type of owner and feature level of C Dory . We are now embracing the best way to market and offer as much simplicity and/or well engineered Factory/Dealer installed options as a customer wishes . Listening to buyers and owners is what we want to do.From designed packages to a la carte orders ,we are interested in making customers comfortable with their purchase,their dealer, and equally importantly their manufacturer. There has not been a time in recent memory for me , that I have had this level of excitement as a C Dory dealer. The feed back is important , and we want as much as possible.We are all listening for positive and constructive input. I think that there are good, practical options in the future . Our new boats are in the molds . Expect some new things from the factory and Wefings .I will make an effort to get to more shows this year . We need the customer support to make it happen.
Marc

GulfSailor

City/Region: Nature Coast
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We recently visited Marc at Wefins and were able to look at a variety of boats around the 25' range.
Thanks for being so generous with your time Marc, we had an informative and educational afternoon.
We found that we liked the basic concept of the TomCat, but not the execution. It appears to have been designed and built for work rather than pleasure.
It would make a great boat for two or three guys to use for fishing though, or as a stable commercial platform for recovering pots or even whale watching.

However, our use would be for cruising around the Gulf and the Intracostal in the southern states, and quite frankly we'd like something a little less utilitarian.
I know this will probably step on a few toes and offend a few people, but if only the TomCat hull came with the interior and equipment of some of the Ranger Tugs we looked at it would be perfect for us.

Both the headliner and floor on 'Destiny' look very nice. We also prefer a more "yacht like" finish, so I wonder if George and Stacey could post some interior pictures of their boat 'Viewfinder' too?

Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GulfSailor wrote:
if only the TomCat hull came with the interior and equipment of some of the Ranger Tugs we looked at it would be perfect for us.

So have Triton build you a bare Tom Cat hull, and have the Livingstons (or a custom rigger) finish it off for you.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
GulfSailor

City/Region: Nature Coast
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doryman wrote:

So have Triton build you a bare Tom Cat hull, and have the Livingstons (or a custom rigger) finish it off for you.
Warren

It's a nice thought, but even if both companies were to agree I could see it becoming a nightmare if we ever had to deal with warranty issues.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captains Cat wrote:
I'd like to see it demonstrated! There's a thread on here somewhere about a TC fuel tank leak and the efforts to get it out. May have been a TC24 though. There are hatches under the cabinets but you'd have to take the cabinets out and then figure out how to get the tank loose, get all the fill/discharge hoses off of it and lever it out somehow. What we need is a factory picture of them doing it!! Laughing Thumbs Up

Any other TC255 owners have an opinion? Dr Bob, Brent, Warren, Roger??

Charlie

I dont have a TC 255 but your extra one is food for thought but we are very happy with our current boats. We might buy an inflatable kayak to explore all of the canals. I asked Bob for his m2cw which is really a buck fifty Very Happy

m2cw is to scope with a plumber's scope (rent it or call a plumbler) and attach a recorder (notebook, DVD, tape, HD) b/c of its cable length then determine where the source and post pics here for everyone to comment. Maybe it can be repaired in situ or minimal amount of work.

Best

Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can assure you that would never happen ! I'm guessing that was a tongue in cheek "Warrenisim".
We will be able to get finished out Tomcats or gelcoat interior Tomcats . Just tell us what you want. The boat you observed was one of the earlier more spartan non lined versions .
Peter's and Georges boats have head and wall liners and are much more finished . George even has a teak instrument panel we custom made and George varnished to bristol specs.
Marc
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wefings wrote:
I can assure you that would never happen ! I'm guessing that was a tongue in cheek "Warrenisim".
We will be able to get finished out Tomcats or gelcoat interior Tomcats . Just tell us what you want. The boat you observed was one of the earlier more spartan non lined versions .
Peter's and Georges boats have head and wall liners and are much more finished . George even has a teak instrument panel we custom made and George varnished to bristol specs.
Marc

Really? You couldn't order a TC255 with no interior furniture (other than the berth)?

Just curious...

www.marinautboats.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: