The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Pain free insulation solution
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redƒox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I'm wonderin now Neutral I bet a person should let their gelcoat age for some time, before applying it over fresh... Exclamation
Little Catelyn

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Little Catelyn
Photos: Little Catelyn
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, just maybe it would be best before things completely cure. No, I really have NO idea, but I think my boat has been started (or will sometime soooooon) and I really like the sound of this stuff. Would be great as a factory option -- SIGN ME UP!

Corwin
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was poking around in the boat the other day and thinkin....I may hold off untill ?? to topcoat that insulation goo. I'm likeing the looks of it.
Little Catelyn

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Little Catelyn
Photos: Little Catelyn
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might have to be a future project! Please keep us posted on how you like it. From various posts I've read here I have come to the conclusion that some kind of treatment -- this stuff or closed-cell foam and carpet -- would be beneficial here in the waters off Anacortes, Washington. Heck, this coating would be great most anywhere.

Thanks,
Corwin
B~C

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fur sure, I'll keep updating, Like I said, I have no vested interest in this stuff other than thinking it's the bees knees for our boats, if this experiment starts going wrong, I'll be sure to post the bad as well good...I call this stuff goo but actually it is a hard, tuff, surface that has a bit of eye appeal, glueing a carpet over the top of it would be a piece of cake.
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,
I would like to try this stuff but I am not a painter and don't have a sprayer. Do you think a chepo Wagner airless sprayer would work to spray the insulaiton?
Thanks,
Steve
B~C

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there, after several months of trial time and two weekenders, I still think this stuff is a great addition to the boat.

I don't think the airless sprayer will work to good but it would be worth a try. What I used was a suction type sand blast gun that can be purchased at most home improvement stores for less than $10. Of couse, along with the sand blast gun an air compressor would be required which could be begged, borrowed or rented for cheap. The nice thing about blasting the boat is that you can fine tune your spraying skills in many of the out of sight compartments before taking on the visable areas....you'll find the stuff is very easy to spray and control.

I may be a bit biased, but I think the boat looks pretty good all decked out in it's insulation...it's nice to be dryer in the morning too.

good luck
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,

It is hard to tell from your pictures what the resulting surface is like. Is it a satin like finish? Or courser. All in all I like the straight white over the splatter finish that C-Dory used on the older boats (I don't remember if they still use it).

B~C

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the finish turned out just exactly like drywall, it has some texture to it and seems to be rather tough and durable. I like the looks of it but, again, I'm a bit biased, maybe some of the folks that gawked at the stuff at Cathalamet or Lopez could throw in an unbiased opinion.
SeaSpray

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ken,
I think I will give it a try. I have a compressor and a Home Depot nearby.

Another question I have is will stuff stick to it after it drys? With the fiberglass I have used velcro and epoxy to attach things to the inside. I still have some things I want to put up that I may need to use 4200 or epoxy to attach. Any guess if there would be any problems sicking some wood to this stuff with 4200?

Thanks,
Steve
SeaSpray

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed about the insulation paint and here is the reply I got. Any C-Dory owners in the SF bay area want to share the paint?
We could also share the spray gun.
Steve

Thanks, Steve!

It sells for $44/gallon and comes in 5 gallon pails. Is there any chance you could find another C-Dory owner out there who you could split the pail with?

Regards,

Dick Stratton
B~C

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the? did you tell him you where a C-Brat? He was going to sell us gallon jugs at a bit cheaper price...but that was several months ago and things may have changed....5 gallons would be ample for a pair of 22 footers, it sounds like you may be fixin to have a sprayer meeting Smile
tpbrady

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A week ago I treated my v-berth with the Mascoat insulation. This weekend I got a chance to compare the result with my experience Memorial Day Weekend. That weekend it rained for 4 days both outside and inside the v-berth. This weekend after two nights in the rain the v-berth was dry. I mean dry. The sheets wrapping around the cushion were dry, a book that fell down between the cushions and the hull was dry, and it was warm. I cracked the seal on the hatch and it even stayed relatively dry. The the center window was open slightly as were the side windows. We did not run the stove at all except to cook. The temperature at night in the rain was in the high forties. The roof of the cabin was wet as well as the sides and hull area. There were three of us in the boat so the moisture load was way up there. The noise from the rain was actually subdued. I didn't know it was raining as hard as it was Sunday morning until I went into the main cabin.

I'll be insulating the cabin in the next couple of weeks since the benefits are obvious.

I'll reserve the term outstanding until next year in order to verify its longevity, but at this point this compound is excellent and seems to meet and probably exceed its manufacturer's claims.

B~C, does this track with your experience?

38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
B~C

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there, I'm glad you like that stuff. It's going on six months since I sprayed the boat and I have no complaints....well....maybe one, I never noticed before how much cold air comes in through the opening for the cables and the bilge pump sump. To answer your question, yes, the boat seems much more dryer, quieter, warmer and, I might add, it looks good too. Me thinks it's well worth the time and money. Let me know how the cabin turns out. Smile

With salmon season starting down here, the boat is in for some real heavy use. I sure hope the fish stink and bean by products don't become permanently etched in the insulation.
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BC:

Do the standard marine stores sell this? I am in the tentative stage of planning for a trip to AK next summer and would like to coat the boat well beforehand.

Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 5 of 16

Jump to: