B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winder frames, ubetcha, man I slathered everything, even got the little strip below the front window. That's one of the beauties of this sludge, you can lay it in anywhere and it seems to stick to about anything. I was hoping it would build up a bit more on the edges of the window frames and kind of blend them in...oh well, that Zolatone swill is petty heavy stuff, it will build and blend.
It was with heavy heart that I removed all the masking paper and put all the stuff back in the boat without the topcoating. I'm going to have to just strip and mask again in a month or three. The weather just aint right for spraying the fancy stuff.

go do some situps Smile

B~C

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went out for the maiden voyage for the insulated stealth boat. In addition to the cabin insulation, I gave a couple of coats of the sound deadener goo across the stern and under the motor well. I topped that off with a healthy dose of rubberized undercoating...I may be just a wee bit biased but it seems to me that the ride is quieter than most cars now...I like.... you still have the soothing water slapping the hull sounds but it knocked the crap out of the engine noise....demo rides available on request Smile
Mr. Fisherman

C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider it requested
How do we get the before ride?
I can bring a grinder Shocked Laughing

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
Redƒox

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Thumbs Up Razz We have some on the way up now... I'll be doing my huge forward storage locker with it, and who-knows what else Shocked
Be reportin latter in the season, when I can conduct a better "Sprayer Meeting" ... Laughing
B~C

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, I'll be at Catchalimit, anybody that aint packing a grinder will be welcome aboard Smile
Greg, way cool, I think you'll like the stuff. If I was doing it again I would spray a thicker coat and spring for a better spray gun. The guns they use for spraying bed linners with an adjustable nozzel would be the cats pajammas and they're only about $50
B~C

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Field test results-
I wish I had some numbers to put to my findings but I don' but here it goes.

Cabin warmth- I have a pathetic little heater that previously almost took the edge off the cold, now, it seems that the little heater can keep up with the heat loss and make it comfortable. It's not shirt sleeve comfortable on a cold morning, but after setting out the fishing gear you welcome getting back in the cabin. In the evening we had a small electric heater with a thermostat, it would warm things up and shut down, it seemed to take a fair bit of time before the heater would kick back on again. Again, I wish I could put some numbers on this but..heat wise I think it was well worth the time and $.

Condensation- Usually we sleep with all the windows & the bow hatch cracked open and wake up in a rain forrest. Damp clothes, damp sleeping bag, moisture dripping off the roof...ya all know the sensation. Last year I installed a solar roof vent and it helped a smidgen (technical term) This weekend we had only one side window cracked open about 1/4 inch and we also had the electric heater going which we don't often do. In the morning there was condensation on the windows BUT the roof, clothes, sleeping bags where dry, we had none of the clammy rain forrest sensation..I didn't miss the joy of putting on clammy clothes in the morn.
I'm sold. The only beef I have with the stuff is a result of my doings, I sprayed it on a bit thin so I had a fair bit of material fall out (dust) If I had sprayed slower and applied a thicker coat I don't think it would be an issue. Twas easily resolved with a vacuum with a brush attachment. The boat looks nice in it's white coat and I'm tempted to leave it as is, but for ease of cleaning it's getting the Zolatone treatment

I hope this info will help make somebodies C-D experience more enjoyable
Redƒox

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

way-to-fleebag-cool Ken!! I hope the factory makes it an option some day (or did they already Embarrased )
So, are ya sayin, the walls even in the V-Berth are dry Question Disgust
B~C

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had wet winders but every thing else was just like ya just walked in and didn't even spend the night. It seems it would be sooo durn easy to slam this stuff in at the factory and offer an insulation option, but, I'm not a manufacturing engineer...but I am warm and dry Smile
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys and gals, I know the factory reads this stuff, so maybe someone should have the rep call the factory at some point. Like tomorrow and get the stuff there on Tuesday so they can spray the boats that are in production now. Like mine, and Pats, and and and.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
B~C

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shudder to think how nice of a job they could do at the factory with this stuff. With my home grown application equipment and having to mask everything it still turned out pretty nice...if I don't say so myself. Hey, if it's good enough for that famous golf stars yacht, that was built just up the river, it oughter be good enough for us
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken-

Sounds like you've hit upon a great modification that would be very a desirable retrofit to many C-Dory owners. Many could do it themselves, but many would like to have someone do it for them.

I like you're simplified spray set-up, would be a lot easier to do the clean up on it rather than a traditional pressure pot, hose, and gun with BIG nozzles.

A considerable amount of time will have to be spent on masking and then applying the insulation and then the paint, with a lay day or two (summer weather) for the insulation to dry/cure before the Zolatone application.

Too bad there isn't someone among us who would like to set up a cottage industry business providing this insulation upgrade at a reasonable cost.

The owners would be responsible for stripping out their boats prior to the application process, and have to give them up for a week to allow some flexibility for the work crew.

Sounds like a good opportunity for a retired C-Dory owner, one with a summer off work, or a young whippersnapper looking for a do-it-yourself college scholarship!

In any case, there's a whole lotta interest out there and I can just se 'em lining up now. Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Rooster 27509

State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Catch-22
Photos: Catch-22
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know someone that has been using this stuff for a few years and if so whats the story. -- wet, dry, cold, cracking -- Question

Question
Jim from the Catch-22
Mr. Fisherman

C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Ken, did you notice any difference at Cathlamete?
How do you rate it so far?
B~C

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, if you're interested in this stuff, I think the thing to do would be to talk to the factory to see if they would even entertain the thought of applying it. If so, then see about meeting up with Richard Stratton from Advanced Coatings at the C-D factory.
Joe- on my boat it's a labor of love, if a person did it to other boats it would be a F*&^^ job and for religious reasons, I couldn't be doing that. It would be a good addition for somebody that had one of those bed linner businesses me thinks.
Jim, I don't know of anybody but in the product lititure it touts a wide temp working range, from minus damn cold to about 500 degrees and that it remains flexible. Tune in next year, I may be cursing the day I applied this stuff, it's a gamble, but judging from the sales info, I think it will hold up.
Ray- yes, it seemed warmer and dryer and I would do it again, I think it was well worth the effort and $
Redƒox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see next message... Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Redƒox on Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 4 of 16

Jump to: