City/Region: Stanwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: SENSEI
Photos: SENSEI and SERENITY
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy there Mr Fisherman
it has been a long time for you to post here. I looked to see, your last post was 2008. welcome back .I was wonderin where you had gone.....lol.....

1993 22 Cruiser (sold 2014)
1995 22 Angler (acquired 2016)
1983 22 Classic (sold 2017)
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ray, how the heck's it going, have you got all of those tuna harvested yet?...damn I had a spot penciled in to do your boat in 2009 but didn't hear from you Smile

Folks, what you might find when installing the insulating goop is that it may look nice after installing but it's nearly impossible to keep it clean and stain free without a topcoat with something with a harder, cleanable surface.

Our tub is still looking good

redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to have this done on my interior. Have been trying to track down Richard Stratton and Advanced Coatings, but not having much success.

Anybody have a good contact to reach this company or a local rep in the Seattle area. Hopefully they will re-extend favorable pricing for members here who wish to undertake this endeavor.

Also it seems like the thread began to promote another competing product. Is that the better one between the 2?

Your help is appreciated.
redbaronace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reached Richard Stratton with Advanced Coating Solutions in Bellevue, WA. They have developed a new "in house" formula similar to the Mascoat. I have ordered 5 gallons of it and will hopefully be applying it within the next few weeks.

He is offering a discount to c-brats members. Upon installation, I will provide a report.
LesR

City/Region: St. Louis
State or Province: MO
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Intuition
Photos: Intuition
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrecting this thread for some updates (if available)...

I am planning on adding some type of interior coating to my 25 this fall or next spring. After reading through this thread a couple times, it sounds as if there are three basic options for coatings:
Mascoat DBM - works well to reduce condensation, best application is via airless sprayer.
SC 1000 - can be brushed, available by the gallon. Seems to be optimized for sound reduction more than reducing condensation.
"New" coating from Advanced Coating Solutions - No reviews available. I found their website, but it includes less detail than Mascoat's in terms of application instructions.

I'd prefer something that can be brushed, as I have no experience spraying and would prefer to not have to rent a sprayer for several days. Looking for any updates related to new coating from ACS or from those who have applied Mascoat via brush.

As always, thanks to everyone for the wealth of information you have generously shared.

Les
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when we were building boats, we used a 3/16" thick PVC flexible sheet foam, which we glued on the fiberglass, or we glued it on door skins (1/8" thick pieces of plywood, and used teak battens to hold it in place. That way we had area to run wires etc in the ceiling.

I have also used various types of foam from 3/8" to 5/8" glued to the hull, and then covered with very thin formica type of covering, or fabrics. This gave good surfaces, plus excellent insullation.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
redbaronace

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LesR wrote:
Resurrecting this thread for some updates (if available)...

I am planning on adding some type of interior coating to my 25 this fall or next spring. After reading through this thread a couple times, it sounds as if there are three basic options for coatings:
Mascoat DBM - works well to reduce condensation, best application is via airless sprayer.
SC 1000 - can be brushed, available by the gallon. Seems to be optimized for sound reduction more than reducing condensation.
"New" coating from Advanced Coating Solutions - No reviews available. I found their website, but it includes less detail than Mascoat's in terms of application instructions.

I'd prefer something that can be brushed, as I have no experience spraying and would prefer to not have to rent a sprayer for several days. Looking for any updates related to new coating from ACS or from those who have applied Mascoat via brush.

As always, thanks to everyone for the wealth of information you have generously shared.

Les

Les

I installed the "NEW" coating from Advanced Coating Solutions this past spring. I believe this product to be very similar to the Mascoat. Having applied it, I do not think you could use a brush or roller but rather need a compressor and paint gun to apply it.

I purchased 5 gallons of the product from Richard Stratton along with a applicator gun for an additonal $25 I believe. We hooked up the paint gun to our air compressor which we already had.

The hardest and most time consuming part of the application is the masking and prep before applying the product itself. There is also some dry time involved between coatings of the product and paint layers. I can detail what all we did in the process from start to finish.

1. remove all contents from the boat cabin
2. clean all the surfaces to receive the product (scrubbed with cleaning solution).
3. Masked all areas that needed to be protected from the insulation (Paper, plastic, tape).
4. Sprayed 2 coats of product on walls, ceiling, and inside sponson till it was used up
5. Sprayed 2 coats of latex interior paint in the same color as the mascoat (white).

We are very happy with the finished product. I would guestimate that the product is around 2-3mm thick. The paint looked really nice over the finish. We used an eggshell sheen. In hindsight, we should have used a semigloss as the paint is scuffed with some discoloration in 5 months of use. I do feel like a semigloss would have allowed a bit more cleanability.

I can post more details and photos in a later write up. Just wanted to give a quick summary in hopes it might help you or someone else looking into this.

Strong endorsement of this product and its ability to help retain warmth while reducing condensation considerably.

PM with any specific Q's you might have.
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what type of insulation was in the cabin and Vberth of the Venture that was displayed at the Seattle Boat Show. I asked the attendants who were there and they did not know. It appeared to be a foam product with a vinyl exposed surface and 1/4"-3/8" thick. It was very well done with virtually no interior area not insulated.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to consider is that these foam with vinyl glued in place do separate when the glue fails. Also if moisture gets in back of the vinyl it can be a source of mold.

The 26 which was for sale in Mobile, AL had a sagging headliner and several places where there was mold growing on the interior surface--plus some unknown place of water intrusion into the boat.

Another C Brat told me had also had problems with the headliner falling down. I have made these headliners on door skins, which were sealed with epoxy, and then used teak strips to hold them in place. That way there is a way to access behind the panel for wiring, and they will not separate.
rogerar

City/Region: SW FL
Vessel Name: Duck
Photos: Duck
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing a camper van in the 70's that had foam insulated panels held to the steel inside with thick silicon grease. They were very removable and stuck in place well.
Roger
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like another option.

http://www.noxudolusa.com/products/thermal-insulation-products/

Bboater

City/Region: Renton
Vessel Name: SeaCup
Photos: SeaCup
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just applied my first coat of the advanced coatings from Richard Stratton.

The preparation seems to be the hardest part. After reading all the information on the forum from carpeting the v-berth to other similar coatings, I went with advanced coatings product. The product was about 15 minutes from my house.

If anyone is interested in applying this material, I have about 4 gallons available. What I don't use, Richard said he would buy back from me. I also have the sprayer available. I live in the Renton area.

I'm hoping for some dry mornings with all this effort.

Brett
Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the top.

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
Safetythird

City/Region: Hopkinton
State or Province: MA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurelia wrote:
Followup on the SC #1000 coating. We ran the boat out in some rough water (sustained waves over 7ft) and for some high speed cruising and the difference in sound was big. With the coating on the walls of the berth only, Cindie really noticed while underway and she also noticed increased quietness when going to sleep. This coating really is an acoustic barrier first and thermal insulation second. We had the boat out overnight with the three of us running only the wallace for heat with just one window cracked (usually have two) and had some condensation on the coated surface. It was less than before but still there. The new foam pads against the walls were fantastic. The sound deadening qualities have Cindie wanting to coat the lower half of the remaining interior so that project is on the list. It really makes a difference.

Are y'all still happy with this stuff?

I'm looking into mostly adding some sound deadening.

I've also been contemplating lizardskin, which is an automotive product that I've used.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Page 16 of 16

Jump to: