The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Pain free insulation solution
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomherrick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily, at this point my cabin is devoid of everything, including windows. I won't let this opportunity to more thoroughly insulate pass me by...
seabeagle

City/Region: Farmington Hills
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Beagle II - Sold 4-19-12
Photos: Sea Beagle II
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've finally took the time to read everything on the Mascoat website and kinda understand how it can reflect heat. But no mention of reflecting cold. Plus, the crappy wallpaper in my house had nearly a -10db effect until I removed it to find even crappier walls. 3 coats of midgrade paint gave at least -3db back. In another room, a hand mudded texture coat with paint removed all echoes period. I guess what I'm seeing is an expensive way to do common things without having the ability to keep my boat warmer from the cold of the water. Judging by the brat map, most of us have issues with the cold. I would imagine that it could reflect heat back inside the boat but, an ounce of heat in an ocean of cold will always loose. I've read the happy posts with it's benifits and can't speak for what they have witnessed. But, I also think of my boss who travels to Mexico constantly and tells me how its's the best place in the world, how its decreped streets and dirt floor restaurants are so cool, how may times he's seen and had to pay off the Federales with the machine guns, how little kids will snap an instant picture of him and say "I need 10 dollars for this picture or my papa will beat me", how many times he's returned home with Montezuma's revenge, how you're safe as long as you don't leave the resort compound, and take only the shuttle bus straight from the compound to the airport, how you can walk the streets of the local town as long as it's light out and you stay away from the major highways, and someday he's going to retire there. Seriously, all of this in the same story. It's like vacationing in Detroit in August. The point is, I'm not impressesd at that price. If the 2,3,or 4 coats had the final cost of coverage like a $30.00 a gallon paint, I'd be interested. Please don't think I'm causing trouble but, sometimes I feel that the emperor doesn't doesn't have any clothes. However, on the lighter side of truly space-age insulation, read up on this link about Aerogel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerogel I saw a hands on demonstration of this some time back. It is utterly mindblowingly amazing and uber-expensive.

http://www.youtube.com/SeaBeagleII
mmitchell

City/Region: Whittier
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: ShiRoz
Photos: ShiRoz
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend painting it on as it is a lot less messy. We used a 4" disposable brush. Don't have the drips as mentioned earlier and works all the same. Know of three boats sprayed on and one painted including second coat on mine by painting. Have not noticed a noise reduction but the condensation problem has all but gone away. Good stuff!!!
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seabeagle wrote:
OK, I've finally took the time to read everything on the Mascoat website and kinda understand how it can reflect heat. But no mention of reflecting cold. <stuff clipped>

Cold is the absence of heat (energy) just like dark is the absence of light (another form of energy). A mirror reflects light but doesn't reflect "dark" so I'm not sure I understand your logic here. I too am a bit skeptical of the high R-values for such a thin layer though. However, the silica and glass bead should definitely lower the thermal conductivity which will lower the rate of heat transfer from the inside of the boat to the ocean of cold surrounding it.

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...but the condensation problem has all but gone away...

THAT is what I'm looking for. I'm realistic: I fully realize that .060" of spray on "insulation" is not going to retain heat while bobbing in 52F water like some R13 home insulation would. It's apples vs oranges. I could use spray on 3M contact adhesive & carpeting, but the tendency for carpet to mildew is the main issue why I dislike this idea. I could use the glue on foam strips like noted above; but what the finished product would look like, I can only imagine.

Spraying on this product is the neatest, cleanest option to me. Meredith and I dislike waking up to a humid, dripping "rain-forrest" w/ nearly everything in the boat damp, especially when it's wet ENOUGH here already. Rolling Eyes Thumbs Down

Yep, it's gonna be a REAL PIA that I don't look forward to starting. Although being able to paint over it with something that would match the stock white/beige splatter would be ideal, I guess I'll settle for a nice, smooth, clean finish that eliminates the condensation.

Last edited by localboy on Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
mmitchell

City/Region: Whittier
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: ShiRoz
Photos: ShiRoz
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All theory's a side it works in cold weather and cold water that's all I have to say
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, Richard said he/they only sell it in 5 gallong buckets, but from reading your posts, it doesn't appear to be a problem. I guess I'll have to consider covering the cabin ceiling, walls and inside the cabinets. Much bigger job and a PIA to mask...

Localboy
I used the whole 5 gallon pail on my 25. I think I put 4 coats on the v-berth and 3 in the cabin, I agree its a pita to mask and spray, but I believe you will experience a significant improvement in the amount of condensation on your cabin roof and in the v-berth. At least that's my experience.

Quote:
OK, I've finally took the time to read everything on the Mascoat website and kinda understand how it can reflect heat. But no mention of reflecting cold. Plus, the crappy wallpaper in my house had nearly a -10db effect until I removed it to find even crappier walls. 3 coats of midgrade paint gave at least -3db back. In another room, a hand mudded texture coat with paint removed all echoes period. I guess what I'm seeing is an expensive way to do common things without having the ability to keep my boat warmer from the cold of the water. Judging by the brat map, most of us have issues with the cold. I would imagine that it could reflect heat back inside the boat but, an ounce of heat in an ocean of cold will always loose. I've read the happy posts with it's benifits and can't speak for what they have witnessed. But, I also think of my boss who travels to Mexico constantly and tells me how its's the best place in the world, how its decreped streets and dirt floor restaurants are so cool, how may times he's seen and had to pay off the Federales with the machine guns, how little kids will snap an instant picture of him and say "I need 10 dollars for this picture or my papa will beat me", how many times he's returned home with Montezuma's revenge, how you're safe as long as you don't leave the resort compound, and take only the shuttle bus straight from the compound to the airport, how you can walk the streets of the local town as long as it's light out and you stay away from the major highways, and someday he's going to retire there. Seriously, all of this in the same story. It's like vacationing in Detroit in August. The point is, I'm not impressesd at that price. If the 2,3,or 4 coats had the final cost of coverage like a $30.00 a gallon paint, I'd be interested. Please don't think I'm causing trouble but, sometimes I feel that the emperor doesn't doesn't have any clothes. However, on the lighter side of truly space-age insulation, read up on this link about Aerogel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerogel I saw a hands on demonstration of this some time back. It is utterly mindblowingly amazing and uber-expensive.

Seabeagle,

My 2009 Mexican experience was friendly people, great weather, an adventure driving the narrow Baja roads towing Meander, very interesting expats,(mostly American), wonderful cruising in the Gulf of California, no pedlars, either Mexican kids or adults (not counting the Canadian and American time share sales people),and even a Federale that let us go without a ticket or bribe after he stopped us for passing on a solid line. Others experience may be different.

Mascoat for me is like my Mexican experience. Very worthwhile. And for me, I've totally forgotten about all the work and expense it was to mask and spray, I just know that when Anne and I are out cruising somewhere between Mexico and Alaska, I BELIEVE that the Mascoat Delta T was worth the expense and effort to apply it. Others experience may be different. As far as the usual disclaimer. Being a Canadian I don't and/or can't work (in fact I haven't worked for anyone for a couple of years) for Mascoat or any of their affiliates or the Mexican government or travel industry. I'm just someone who enjoyed Mexico and someone who thinks there is a benefit to this type of insulation.
Cheers
Ron

Check out our Baja trip
localboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron on Meander wrote:
Well,Localboy
I used the whole 5 gallon pail on my 25. I think I put 4 coats on the v-berth and 3 in the cabin, I agree its a pita to mask and spray, but I believe you will experience a significant improvement in the condensation on your cabin roof and in the v-berth. At least that's my experience.

Got any pics of how it looks now that it's completed? I think I'm gonna mask around the windows ~1/2" from the frames, following the radii as best as possible, and go to town. I'll then paint over the Delta and THEN pull the tape. Just a plan at this point, but I'm hoping it will at least look clean when done. I need a good project once the weather here warms up a bit.
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't have any pictures of the after. Here's one of the "during" photos. Shows just how much fun you have to look forward too.! Razz

Quote:
Got any pics of how it looks now that it's completed? I think I'm gonna mask around the windows ~1/2" from the frames, following the radii as best as possible, and go to town. I'll then paint over the Delta and THEN pull the tape. Just a plan at this point, but I'm hoping it will at least look clean when done. I need a good project once the weather here warms up a bit.
localboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like fun...

...not. Wink
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we will stick with the sticky foam tape. I will take a few pics of the overhead space and I think you might be surprised how good it actually looks. I may not add more to the boat. The overhead space was the priority for head bumping the dripping then the lower walls for contact while sleeping. Beyond that, I doubt we need it.
Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following insulating and sound dampening paint was mentioned in another thread by the owner of the boat Pluto. Since it is much less expensive and can be brushed or rolled on, I was thinking of giving it a try in my v-berth. A gallon should provide 2+ coats. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Rob

http://www.hytechsales.com/prod150.html
Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good if it gives similar results to the other spray products but can be carefully brushed or rolled on. I would be willing to try that out if it saves me the dissasembly and masking of my boat. We are having some custom organizer panels built for the vberth walls and this might be a good simple product to paint behind them just for the anti-condensation values.
Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of pics of the overhead space in our V-berth with the foam tape applied. I admittedly did a quick (test) job of it and this could be visually improved but I was surprised how good it actually looked for the time it took. The tape has stretch to it and was very easy to apply on curved surfaces. It has already proved its worth for protecting my head against the hard overhead corners when nature calls in the night.

Greg

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1321&id=Picture_001&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1321&id=Picture_004&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
localboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob & Karen wrote:
http://www.hytechsales.com/prod150.html

Quote:
...the very high concentration of insulating ceramics and other pigments adds a high reflective heat barrier to the painted surface...

Price is right, application is easier and hopefully the statement above is true. Give her a try and let us all know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: