City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seabeagle wrote:
I refuse to believe that a 40 mil coat has an R-11 value. If this were true, 4 coats would have insulated the walls in my house. Neutral

The gentleman who markets the Delta T out of Seattle is actually insulating an addition to his house by spraying it right over the sheetrock; he must be getting it a cost. Best upgrade I have done to the boat, will be applying a latex topcoat this summer.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
Levitation

City/Region: Hemlock
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: CHARLOTTE ANN
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Seabeagle, how you folks doing?

I agree with the skepticism about the R values quoted... Also, their literature has some contradictions.. They say 50% to 80% sound reduction and then also say that is 1 to 3 dB...

Now, having expressed my reservations I actually hope their claims are met as they would be a massive improvement in time and cost for insulation and sound deadening in many, many applications...

cheers...

denny, char, and Pasta
BTW Levitation has been christened Charlotte Ann
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya'all can debate the R values all you want, all I know is that we've been enjoying a much more comfortable boat for the last six years Smile There are many ways to insulate a boat, all good, I started this thread to present one option I found in my quest to an insulation solution that didn't involve scissors or glue.

the voices in my head don't alloe me to have scissors

breausaw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Levitation wrote:
Hey Seabeagle, how you folks doing?

Also, their literature has some contradictions.. They say 50% to 80% sound reduction and then also say that is 1 to 3 dB...

denny, char, and Pasta
BTW Levitation has been christened Charlotte Ann

The sound reduction on Triple J was huge, at cruising speed the motor is just a quiet hum now. The amazing part was I only sprayed half way down the rear cabin wall. I think a lot of noise reverberated through the roof and that got three heavy coats.
seabeagle

City/Region: Farmington Hills
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Beagle II - Sold 4-19-12
Photos: Sea Beagle II
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Levitation, been fine over here except for the cold. I had a thought of having an insulation company spray a half inch or so of foam in the inside and then paint it. R-value, sound deadening, and flotation in case of submersion. Think it will work?

http://www.youtube.com/SeaBeagleII
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Questions: B~C you said you covered it w/ Zolatone. Which one? How did you apply it? I see it's basically a water based paint and says it must be sprayed on. Why did you choose that particular product?

I think we're gonna start w/ the entire V-berth area and go from there. I'd like to cover it in a "splatter" type of paint to match the original as closed as possible.

Of course it needs to warm up a bit here first and if the rain stopped, I wouldn't complain either.

B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey there, I was going to use zolatone but decided against it, I went with an interior paint that matched the factory off white color. the zolotaone would have left me with a multicolor interior
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

hey there, I was going to use zolatone but decided against it, I went with an interior paint that matched the factory off white color.

Me too. I used a high quality acrylic latex paint. It matches the factory colour very closely. As I did the entire interior of the boat cabin I would bet no one can tell the difference from the factory paint. 4 years later it doesn't show any wear outside of normal.

The Mascoat insulation is something that I believe has made a significant different to cool weather comfort. We have very little condensation now and I believe that the boat is warmer. Its very tough to get accurate measurements of the before and after difference because there is just too many variables. Your results may be different but I'd do it again. Its a lot of work but worth it in my opinion if you boat in cool/cold climates.

Ron
localboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like an interior house paint? Confused

Rolling something on would be MUCH less messy than spraying, although I may just bite the bullet, mask off the entire V-berth and spray insulation & paint in one crack.
tomherrick

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Sherwin-Williams' All-surface Oil-based Enamel over my spray-on insulation and like it quite well. It's tough stuff and the surface is easy to clean. As part of the boat redo, I'll spray on several more coats of Mascoat insulation in the cabin and top off with some more of the enamel.
breausaw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you paint over Delta T I recommend you call or email Richard Stratton with Mascoat, I am pretty sure he recommends using latex based interior paint not oil based..but could be wrong on that.

Also, if you have specific questions regarding R value or understanding the thermodynamics or their products he’s the guy to talk to.

Richard (Dick) Stratton
> Tel: 425.785.0902
RichardS@Latitude47.com
localboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted Richard via e-mail last night;
Quote:
I got your info from a C-Dory boat owners group, the C-Brats. I am interested in your spray on Marine DTM insulated coating.
What size cans do you sell? I'm primarily starting w/ the V-berth area.
What spay gun do you recommend & do you sell them? (I have a nice compressor system w/ filters etc installed in my garage, so I'm looking to spray it on.
What do you recommend for a topcoat?

He returned my e-mail this a.m.
Quote:
Your group probably can advise thickness based on their use of the coating in the area. I'd suggest using at least 2 coats for your application, preferable 3 coats of 20 mils each (0.020") if you're also topcoating with a washable acrylic latex. Many builders in the area use 4 coats for the standard application spec for Alaska service. I sell the coating in 5 gallon pails and a gallon covers 50 square feet at 20 mils. The cost is $60/gallon. I can supply a small applicator gun for $35 that uses about 40 PSI.

I'm moving forward. I just need to estimate how much I'll need for the entire front V-berth. Any estimates from you experienced users? I think I'll even open up the area under the berth, pull the foam, install 3 hatches and spray that stuff in there too.
breausaw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the entire 5 gallons, wish I had a gallon or two more but 5 gallons did the trick but that was for the cabin and v birth on a 22. Don’t spray it on too thick, it’s kind of hard to tell but try not to anyways. When your goggles get covered it’s hard to see much of anything.
The hard part is getting the Delta T from the can into the spray bottle; at least it was for me. I ended up using a funnel and a cup to pour it in, than used a stick to plunge it down through the funnel.
I also had to thin it a bit but not much, and also opened the spray nozzle up to almost wide open.
To smooth out the rough spots a green scotch brite pad and water worked great, but don’t wait too long.
If you get too far away from the surface you’ll get spatter that will feel like 20 grit sandpaper when it dried..Hence the scotch brite pad.
tomherrick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used five gallons on the cabin from anchor locker to cockpit. I was impressed by how much it helped, but wish it had been thicker. I got little square dry sample from my supplier that I'm guessing was about .040 or so. The five gallon spraying didn't come near that. When I'm ready to spray again it'll get at least ten more gallons. I'm tempted to try out one of the microsphere additives this time. One of the vendors' Web presence seems a tad negative, but there are more now for me to check out. Maybe there'll be some at the Baltimore boat show tomorrow.
localboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Richard said he/they only sell it in 5 gallong buckets, but from reading your posts, it doesn't appear to be a problem. I guess I'll have to consider covering the cabin ceiling, walls and inside the cabinets. Much bigger job and a PIA to mask... Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 13 of 16

Jump to: