View previous topic :: View next topic  
SENSEI

City/Region: Stanwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: SENSEI
Photos: SENSEI and SERENITY
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: C-Dory 25 prop decision Reply with quote

I know this has been hashed over several times and I have gleened some info from this forum.

I have just purchased a Honda 150 fuel injected 25 in shaft motor for a repower from my Honda 90 which is on the 1996 25 Cruise ship.
I need to start somewhere with a prop for it and would like some sugestions from some of you 25 owners with 150 Hondas on them.
I figure I will start with aluminum and once I find the right one I will go with a Stainless and use the aluminum for a spare.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.
I have a 96 Honda 90 with 25 in shaft for sale if anyone is interested

1993 22 Cruiser (sold 2014)
1995 22 Angler (acquired 2016)
1983 22 Classic (sold 2017)
toyman

City/Region: Lake Livingston
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Fan-C-Dory
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 150 on a 25 has a 14 1/2 x 15 SS. At ~5800 RPM we do ~27-28 kts - LOADED. I've just put on a 15x15 aluminum as I'm headed for the land of the "rockfish" this summer and wanted a sacrificial prop. We spend nearly all of our time at displacement speed, so I probably won't be able to tell the difference with the 1/2" larger prop - plus the aluminum will have more flex to it than the SS.
In East Texas
tpbrady

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger,

My experience on my 25 is limited to one day on the water. I started with a 17P 3 blade stock Yamaha prop that would turn 5300 at 35 mph with a moderatly loaded boat (full fuel, no water, and not much in the galley). I dropped back to a 15p 4 blade Solas and got the same top end at 5700 rpm. At this point I am staying with the 15 pitch prop. I haven't installed my Permatrim yet but that is coming tonight. The 25 seems to be stern heavy (full fuel and no water in the tank under the V-berth). I got best fuel economy with nearly full down trim tabs. With the Permatrim I should be able to get a comparable attitude without full flaps. That should improve fuel economy.

I would say something in 15 pitch. I am even contemplating a 14 pitch stainless prop from Powertech but have a hard time with the $500 it will cost.

38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 15 in SS for the 150, The Aluminum will have slightly more flex, thus act as a slightly lower pitch prop. For the 130, a smaller block, then the 13" pitch at sea level.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my viewpoint. First, Journey On is the typical C-25 with a Honda 150. To make sense out of the propeller thing, I started looking at the propeller pitch as boat gearing and compared it to my bike. So there are several different propeller pitches that may be suitable; just as you would change gearing on the bike depending on the type of race you were running, one would select pitch based on how the boat is being used.

First question: how are you going to run the boat: loaded for long cruises, light for fishing,somewhere in between? And how fast are you going to drive the boat: hull speed ( don't laugh, we do that a lot of the time to enjoy where we are), up on plane at about 14 knts., or getting to the fishing spot as fast as you can at 25 knts?

Here's what propeller pitch did for journey On. Empty and in San Diego Bay on a smooth morning a 16' pitch got us to 25 knts @ 5500, right in the middle of the Honda HP range. Which I submit is fast enough for anybody. At that speed ripples get bigger and if anything is floating in the water, you aren't going to miss it. And fuel mileage is atrocious, <2.5 mpg. Loaded, if you want to go that fast, you're going to have to go to a 15" prop and buy more gas.

We travel well loaded and we cruise. So we settle for a 14.74" dia by 16" pitch prop. At hull speeds our gas mileage goes up to about 6 mpg and overall during the summer we average ~3.4 mpg. The 16" lets us comfortably cruise at 15 knts without straining the motor, and at that speed we can see the logs and weed in our path. There are times I put on a 15" pitch and yes it revs freer, but the mileage drops and the gas was $4/gal.

I tried a composite prop but the minimum pitch was 16 1/2 and that was a little too much for for the engine at our weight. Also composite props disintegrate when they hit anything.

An aluminum propeller is lighter and easier to shift than stainless ones. As Bob pointed out above, they do flex more than stainless, but at our speeds I don't worry. 3 blades give you more top end (so I've been told,) but 4 blades get you out of the hole faster. The latter is important to me.

One additional comment. Don't jam the gas open with a 150, it has enough torque to spin some propellers.

Boris
Nunya

State or Province: AK
Photos: Nunya
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running same set-up. 25' with 150 honda. I went from an aluminum Honda 15.25 x 15 to a 15 5/8 x 13 stainless solas prop. I could only turn the aluminum prop up to 5400 rpm's. The solas I can spin up to 5900 rpm's.
I burnt 10 gallons less on same trip running the solas vs the honda. Boat was loaded the same on both trips. Not having to work the motor as hard with the solas prop.
I would still like to try a 14 1/2 X 15 stainless. Gets expensive trying to find the right prop.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nunya wrote:
I'm running same set-up. 25' with 150 honda. I went from an aluminum Honda 15.25 x 15 to a 15 5/8 x 13 stainless solas prop. I could only turn the aluminum prop up to 5400 rpm's. The solas I can spin up to 5900 rpm's.
I burnt 10 gallons less on same trip running the solas vs the honda. Boat was loaded the same on both trips. Not having to work the motor as hard with the solas prop.
I would still like to try a 14 1/2 X 15 stainless. Gets expensive trying to find the right prop.

The "lower geared" but slightly larger Solas has more "adjustability", with it's lower pitch, so a greater "slip" allowance is encountered, giving you that adjustable range, and more overall efficiency.

Never discount the value of "slip", the difference between theoretical prop travel and the real deal in water, a fluid.
Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: C-Dory 25 prop decision Reply with quote

Roger, we have found the right prop for our CD25 / BF150 combo at sea level - a Quicksilver 15.5 x 15 aluminum prop. And we are loaded pretty heavy most of the time. It seems like a decent starting point for your Cruise Ship / BF150.

SENSEI wrote:
I know this has been hashed over several times and I have gleened some info from this forum.

I have just purchased a Honda 150 fuel injected 25 in shaft motor for a repower from my Honda 90 which is on the 1996 25 Cruise ship.
I need to start somewhere with a prop for it and would like some sugestions from some of you 25 owners with 150 Hondas on them.
I figure I will start with aluminum and once I find the right one I will go with a Stainless and use the aluminum for a spare.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.
I have a 96 Honda 90 with 25 in shaft for sale if anyone is interested

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see you got your motor Roger Man!!!

Now, if Papa Glenn/Slow Ride will let you off the farm a few days.... it should be sweet!!! Thumbs Up CoolSmile

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, you have THREE C-Dorys now? Shocked

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
SENSEI

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: SENSEI
Photos: SENSEI and SERENITY
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captains Cat wrote:
Roger, you have THREE C-Dorys now? Shocked

Charlie

No Charlie, just two.
sometimes I think two too many.....lol.....
bcarli

Vessel Name: Soulmate
Photos: Soulmate
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: difference between 135 and 150 honda & props Reply with quote

Hi
sorry, I know the prop debate never goes away...
I am once again trying to figure out the best prop to use on my cd-25...Most of the post have been from owners with 150hp honda's. I have a 135 and wonder if having a 135 would make much difference overall regarding my prop choice. I run my boat heavy ( normally 6 to 7 persons on board).
I started with a factory stainless prop 14 1/2 x 15 stainless and felt I was over propped. My max rpm was 5000. I now have an aluminum 15.5x13 and my max rpm is 5200. It's all rather voodoo magic to me, but because I am a business I spent a lot on fuel and I would love to get this prop fine tuned to my boat..any input would be appreciated

thanks
carli whale watching tours

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: difference between 135 and 150 honda & props Reply with quote

bcarli wrote:
Hi
sorry, I know the prop debate never goes away...
I am once again trying to figure out the best prop to use on my cd-25...Most of the post have been from owners with 150hp honda's. I have a 135 and wonder if having a 135 would make much difference overall regarding my prop choice. I run my boat heavy ( normally 6 to 7 persons on board).
I started with a factory stainless prop 14 1/2 x 15 stainless and felt I was over propped. My max rpm was 5000. I now have an aluminum 15.5x13 and my max rpm is 5200. It's all rather voodoo magic to me, but because I am a business I spent a lot on fuel and I would love to get this prop fine tuned to my boat..any input would be appreciated

thanks
carli whale watching tours

Hi Bill,

We run that same stainless prop on Wild Blue and get 5500-5600 at sea level. When we're cruising, we generally loaded (generator, dinghy, dinghy motor, food, extra water, etc), but I'm guessing your load is still more. Sorry I don't have experience with another prop (other than the composite 4 blade adjustable that was less than satisfactory and is now just our back up).

I do have a question, though: where do you put 6 to 7 people on the 25?

TIA.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
bcarli

Vessel Name: Soulmate
Photos: Soulmate
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim
good question...
When we had our boat built we had the factory recess the sink and the stove enabling us to put a cushion in that space. So with me driving I can seat 6 people inside plus I have a few folding chairs for outside seating so I can seat six outside as well. It's tight but it works. Wish I could find the right prop and get better fuel economy... I'm lucky to get 2 miles a gallon.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bcarli wrote:
Hi Jim
good question...
When we had our boat built we had the factory recess the sink and the stove enabling us to put a cushion in that space. So with me driving I can seat 6 people inside plus I have a few folding chairs for outside seating so I can seat six outside as well. It's tight but it works. Wish I could find the right prop and get better fuel economy... I'm lucky to get 2 miles a gallon.

Hi Bill,

With that load, 2 miles per gallon sounds about right... assuming you can get the boat up on plane. I've gotten as low as 2.2 mpg on a tank, running in the upper teens with a full cruising load. I've since learned to ease back a bit on the throttle, settle in between 15 - 17 and will usually get 2.5+. Or, pull back to displacement speed and get 5+ mpg.

I would enjoy seeing a photo of your interior if you have the time and inclination.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Propellers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: