The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Trailer jack recommendation?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Trailer jack recommendation? Reply with quote

My Fulton Magnum trailer jack seized up on my Pacific trailer - need to replace it. Can't find a model number on it, but it appears to be either galvanized or zinc plated. Not sure what the rating is, but it seems adequate for the trailer my 22 sits upon.

Suggestions? There seem to be a ton of different models out there. I'd like something beefy with decent corrosion resistance, and if some roll better than others on smooth, flat concrete that would be welcome as well. Trailer frame is standard 4" beam.

Connie Fisher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Jack Reply with quote

E-mail attention Rene Boyer at EZ Loader Boat Trailers, rboyer@ezloader.com.

Regards,

Ron Fisher
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter what brand as long as it's a swing away style. I replaced my original because the wheel hung up while turning around in a field. Got a Fulton brand (I think) with a square aluminum tube and two big plastic wheels. It pivots 90 degrees and locks into place parallel to the tongue. I never need to worry about snagging it on anything and I don't even have to crank it all the way in if I don't want to. I had to make an adapter plate to clamp it on the trailer tongue but it works great. If you would stop by on one of your commutes I can show you why you'll be a dork if you buy any other.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the Fulton F2 with the big dual wheels. It is well-built, easy to crank, and has worked flawlessly for 3 years or so. I bet Tyboo has the same one.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
I really like the Fulton F2 with the big dual wheels.

Yep - just looked and that's the one. It surprisingly easy to crank for how fast the travel is. I got the single wheel though, not the dual as I thought.

Mine Googled

Mr. Bauer's Googled
Chester

City/Region: home
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most trailer jacks have 10" of travel. I like the 1,500# Fulton jack with 12" travel. West Marine, among others, carry it.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fulton F2

Fulton, the industry leader for high performance marine jacks, is proud to introduce a revolution in trailer jack engineering. The F2, designed for use with marine, recreational and utility trailers, continues the Fulton heritage of innovation rethinking every feature and challenging industry conventions. The result is a reengineered high quality product that will transform the industry. It’s so strong and reliable that Fulton is backing it with an unprecedented LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY.
Maintenance free - designed to eliminate the need for lubrication and maintenance
Corrosion resistant coatings cover internal and external components - will hold up in salt water and other harsh environments
Ergonomic design - crank, release pin and integrated wheel wedge are made of strong, engineered plastic for a comfortable touch
Stylish design - compliment your boat and customize your trailer's styling
Sealed and lubricated one-piece gearbox
Twin track and wide track versions available
Available in bolt-on and weld-on versions for up to 5" tongues
LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY

PART NO. DESCRIPTION
1413020134 F2™ Jack, 1,600 lbs., Twin Track
1413040134 F2™ Jack, 1,600 lbs., Wide Track
1413050334 F2™ Jack, 1,600 lbs., Wide Track, Includes Handle Holdup, Weld-On Mount & Mounting Hardware
1413060334 F2™ Jack, 1,600 lbs., Twin Track, Weld-On
1413080334 F2™ Jack, 1,600 lbs., Twin Track, Bolt-On
1413110334 F2™ JACK WIDE TRACK WELD-ON BULK/25 OEM 4 X 5
1413120334 F2™ JACK TWIN TRACK WELD-ON BULK/25 OEM 4 X 5
1413130334 F2™ JACK-TWN TRK OE-5 U--BOLT
1413140334 F2™ JACK-WIDE TRK OE-5 U--BOLT

I am trying to figure out which on of these is the one I need for my 22 on a Pacific trailer. The one I have has 2 wheels, and the lock up for towing. It looks like the F2 has a plastic crank handle. Not sure that is what I want.

Chester, I tried putting your specs into the Fulton search box and it came up with nothing. I like the idea but need a jack.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Chester

City/Region: home
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, West Marine carries the 12" travel jack. That extra 2" of travel is very helpful.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=29070&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50802&subdeptNum=50805&classNum=50808#.Ulj_pVCsjAk
Ray

City/Region: Pamlico River
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Photos: Seaweed
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An easy way to gain more "travel", if you have the room, is to move the jack further aft on the tongue.
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
PART NO. DESCRIPTION
1413020134 F2™ Jack, 1,600 lbs., Twin Track

<snip>...

[b]I am trying to figure out which on of these is the one I need for my 22 on a Pacific trailer. The one I have has 2 wheels, and the lock up for towing. It looks like the F2 has a plastic crank handle. Not sure that is what I want.

The above is the one I ordered for my 22 on a Pacific. Came with everything needed for install.

It's a nice jack, appears to be built well. However...it doesn't have the same lift height as my el-cheapo one that rusted out. I've had a couple occasions where getting it onto the truck hitch had me right at the limit of the lift. And, I've got it mounted quite a ways back from the tongue. I've got a hitch on the truck with a little more drop now, which mostly took care of the problem - but while it tows OK, the boat now rides with the bow slightly lower than level. Ain't the best when it's raining.
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

Thanks for that confirmation. It looks like I am going to be ordering a new jack soon.

BTW, It looks like you are running a tandem trailer for the 22. If you are towing in a "bow down" attitude, depending on how much, you may be working those forward axle bearings more than the rear ones. I know with mine only an inch low at the tongue, my forward bearings are always warmer than the rear ones, by 10 - 15 degrees. (90 forward - 105-110 rear).

Harvey
SleepyCMoon
Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for fulton F 2, fast cranking like it.
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading the reviews on the WM site, the F2 is not shinning so bright. "Plastic" handle, no way to lube the shaft, and not much longevity of the unit. It looks like a great unit, and I like the idea of the aluminum for corrosion resistance, but the gears inside are still steel and no way to lube that. I'm hesitant.

Am I wrong Question Crook Embarassed

Harvey
SleepyCMoon
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
After reading the reviews on the WM site, the F2 is not shinning so bright. "Plastic" handle, no way to lube the shaft, and not much longevity of the unit. It looks like a great unit, and I like the idea of the aluminum for corrosion resistance, but the gears inside are still steel and no way to lube that. I'm hesitant.

Am I wrong Question Crook Embarassed

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

I have had mine since they came out and it has been basically flawless. I could see that the handle could break if you jacknifed, or hit it on the asphalt, but it doesn't even flex when really cranking on it. It is a non-issue as is not being able to grease the gears as they are really well sealed up. I'd buy another one as it has lasted at least 2 times longer than any of the cheapies I have bought. And, it still basically operates like new.
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing this old but relevant topic back.

OK, so I did not buy a Fulton. The plastic spooked me so ......

Are you guys that have that Fulton F-2 still happy? Would you do it again?

I was looking for heavy duty, long lift, and double wheels. Found a Dutton-Lainson Company 1,500 pound capacity jack. It has the swing up, lock in horizontal facing either way capability, and is made in the USA.

AND it sucks. Sorry but it came without a a grease zerk for the 90degree gears, It has been nothing but a hassle -- corrosion all over the place, and has finally frozen up solid. Of course I packed it full of grease to try and keep it functioning but that was only a hindrance, as when I called the company for a recommendation, parts or replacement they "sold" me a gear replacement kit for $15.oo. I am not sure it is worth the hassle to try and replace the gears -- plastic -- so I am looking for something that is a bit more long term functional.

Ideas. That Fulton lifetime warranty sure sounds appealing..... if they work.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: