The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

06/18 - 06/19 - Lower Columbia Sturgeon Fest
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lyle-t

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Scorpio
Photos: Scorpio
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Sturegon Reply with quote

I will be there with my grandson Brian and Scorpio Friday some time. Save some fish for us and one of your smelt scewers please.. Lyle

City/Region: Puyallup
Photos: Laurna Jo
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we should be down there sometime Saturday Afternoon. Save us a spotwith the group ok? Getting stuff ready so we can get out as soon as I get a nap Saturday Morning. We will definitely need some guidance on rigging probably. Right now it looks like we will be there til Monday.

2004 C-Dory Skiff- Little Poit Dhubh
2005 C-Dory 25 Cruiser -sold 2103
2002- C-Dory 22 Cruiser- Sold 2005
Lynn Marie

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Lynn Marie
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is getting better by the day. A real Warrenton gathering. We got seven boats coming and six signed up. Kind of reminds me of when Bill and Ell showed up and everyone from all over the place showed up.

The north Oregon folks will be waiting to welcome one and all and we'll be more than happy to help rig, bait, land, etc. with whatever the catch. We look forward to a great week-end of fishing and fun in the traditional C-Dory fashion.

Tim

pgsequei

City/Region: Tampa Bay
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C_Angel
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Would love to meet & join you all, if it's not too late. I will be coming down with my 10yr old son at noon on Saturday (hopefully sooner).

Thanks,
Greg
Lynn Marie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg,
Always room for one more, after all it is a C-Brat gathering. See you Saturday. If you get to the dock or ramp and can't find any of us it is likely that we are out on the river. You can just call us on Channel 11 and we'll tell you how to catch up with us or where we are anchored up and fishing. Our normal areas are not far from the mouth of the Skipanon and sometimes just a few hundred yards up river.

Glad to hear you're coming and we'll look forward to meeting up with you.

Tim
Work Release

City/Region: Everett, Wa.
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Work Release
Photos: Work Release
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Columbia River Strugeon Reply with quote

Mike, Of TyBoo
A couple of questions:
!. Does the Tackle Time Bait Shop stock fishing rods or charts? Might need to get a rod with a little back bone for my fishing buddy.
2. Do you use a salmon net for this fishery? Hate to pack one if it is not needed.

Could not get any leads on fresh frozen smelt for bait around here. They use mostly live sandshrimp and frozen herring.

Jim, Work Release
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. Does the Tackle Time Bait Shop stock fishing rods or charts? Might need to get a rod with a little back bone for my fishing buddy.

Tackle Time does have some hardware, but Englund Marine in Astoria will have a better selection for cheaper. You really don't need anything fancy. A rod rated for 40# line will work (that's what the one I busted a few weeks ago was!). I would be happy to loan you one, but I don't have any extra sturgical grade poles anymore. On the other hand, if you hook into a big keeper, you will likely be hooked yourself, so buying a decent setup will not be a waste.

Quote:
2. Do you use a salmon net for this fishery? Hate to pack one if it is not needed.

Most folks use a big salmon net. It has to have a big hoop so you get most of the fish through it. Some folks use mechanical snares on a pole to pick them up by the tail.

As for the bait, if the fish are biting, they are not too particular. I got called into work at midnight last night, and got home about 7:00 this morning. Me and a friend went out to fish the ebb and boated 8 or 10 shakers and one keeper. Today they were biting on ugly rotten smelt and some frozen herring left over from last year. You can also get fresh anchovies at the bait shop if you sign up for them the night before. Anchovies work good, but they are difficult to keep on the hook because the bellys rip out easy. And with all the pesky little crabs this year, we haven't even bothered trying them. Same goes for sand shrimp.

If you have some kevlar or other tough skinned gloves, you would do well to have them along. Those fish are strong and have sharp pointy chutes all over them.

Quote:
Would love to meet & join you all, if it's not too late. I will be coming down with my 10yr old son at noon on Saturday (hopefully sooner).

Wonderful. Your son will have a blast.

I will be late to the dock Friday (about 8:00 or so), but should have the weekend free. Kay is going to Portland Saturday morning/afternoon, but the whole crew should be there Saturday night.

I talked to the harbormaster today, and he said we could take any available slips around the C-Dory section. We will all be close at the dock. It'll make for a good picture. The Warrenton marina is kind of run down, and the facilities are not the best. But there are restrooms and showers and parking. The sanitary pump out station is going on its second year busted, but I believe the dump for porta potties is still usable.

When you launch, there will be pay envelopes near the ramp. The launch fee is five bucks, and it includes parking.

Lynn Marie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work Release Jim,

I have some extra gear available and will have it along. It's not fancy but as Mike says, it came from Englund Marine. They sell both a one piece and two piece rod with ball bearing reel and loaded with line for about $70. This is a no nonsense rig that a lot of the charter folks use and on our boat it's the main gear.

Also, I will be along fishing on Saturday to help out and provide boat space and gear and what limited expertise I have to this event so I wouldn't worry to much about gear. The other thing you shouldn't need is a chart. we won't be far from the dock and there isn't much need for anything other than a depth sounder so nobody anchors in the shipping channel. Bouys are good in this area of the river so even that shouldn't be an issue. I also have a chart if needed since I generally look at my GPS to find my spot.

On another note, we will be looking at getting together dockside Saturday evening for a bite to eat. Judy is going to make a big batch of potato salad and Mikes talking about steaming open a bunch of fresh Willapa Bay Oysters so plan accordingly.

As far as other meals go there are a number of spots close at hand and a pizza joint just a couple blocks away that I will use for Friday evening. Fishing can start early in the morning and may just be what folks put together on their boats. It's easy when laying at anchor and it drives the open boat jet sledders crazy. Damn I love this fishery.

See you all at the dock.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shucks, Austin and I have been hoping to get in on a "sturgeonfest"...unfortunately, this Saturday I will be working the Snoqualmie Falls Brewing Company booth at the Summer Microbrew Festival at St Edwards State Park in Kenmore...have a great time!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Lynn Marie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

Keep that thought about sturgeon. There are other week-ends and I'm sure Mike and I will be around giving it a try on most all of them till they close the season. Last year that was just before the 4th of July week-end.

I was feeling sorry for you but since you're hanging out with all that good beer my tears won't be to big unless you just get to pour and aren't allowed to walk up and down the isles and sample.

Tim
stevej

City/Region: Gaston
C-Dory Year: 1995
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Photos: Shearwater
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I will miss this one!!! Ended up working until midnight last night and have to go back in this afternoon. Jim thanks again for the offer to fish with you if I get off at a reasonable time today I may attempt to drive over and visit tonight.

stevej

1995 25' Cruise Ship #3
TyBoo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a fish. Probably 9' long, and weighed more than the reigning Sturgeon Queen's grandpa. Tiffany did it again, but had to have some help this time. Wasted 1 hour and 15 minutes of prime fishing time for her little shaker.

Sorry about the poor picture quality, but this guy just would not cooperate. There are a few more pics in the Sturgeon Fest album.

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whooa Grandpa!!! That's some pesky shaker! And to be outdone by your little Granddaughter....again!! And with the biggest sturgeon your boat's ever caught! At least you got a free lesson humility. And I think you're stuck with a permanent fishing "buddy" that will be going out with you every time she can for the foreseeable future. At least until she gets interested in boys. But that's another story for your retirement years when you've had time to get old and grey. Congratulations on the Monster from the Deep!!! Joe.
Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, what a beast, how's the shindig goin?
TyBoo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something you can't get at your Roches and Fridays and othe fancy schmany places. Warrenton Marina's party barge!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: