The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

06/18 - 06/19 - Lower Columbia Sturgeon Fest
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see no reason why there can't be a sturgeon fest every weekend in June. There always is, anyway!

J&CL - you gotta get down here for at least one weekend, and you gotta try to coerce Big Les and Little Les to join you. We almost had them two boys talked into it year before last.

I might be working every day of the month, but the fest will still go on!

Jon - CLou

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Lou
Photos: C-Lou and Pee Wee
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro C-Lou she says. Dang, she out fishes the ol' man a couple of times and it's all about pro.

Yep sweetie, you're the pro but don't forget that I'm the deckhand and bottle washer. Confused Love

Mike, somehow we gotta get down there in June. Those sturgeon fillets you gave us were great and I bet a blast to catch.

Jon
B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTT.. Lopez was fun, catching huge fish is fun also
Jeff and Diane

City/Region: Renton, Washington
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Immacu-Nada/"C-Spaz"
Photos: Immacu-Nada
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having never done this before Shocked and being newbies once again Very Happy Where are we to stay, and put our boat in the water? I am not too crazy about the Ilwaco stuff, but am pretty clueless about the whole Sturgeon thing. Jeff and I have done it on a comercial boat our of Ilwaco, but I am sure that you C-Brats have the real scoop on what's goin' on with this gala event! Jeff has always wanted to learn the ropes with the whole sturgeon fishing extraviganza! Thumbs Up

Can't Wait! I will desperately miss C-Lou on this adventure. Wink

Diane
TyBoo

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, young lady, you guys can launch your boat in Warrenton, and stay on your boat at the city marina. We should be able to fix it up so all the CBCDs are together right close to where the local CBCDs have slips. The launch fee is $5, and I believe it includes parking. Don't know what the guest moorage is, but it's cheap.

Be here. You'll like it. We'll like having you here. The fish don't care who catches them, so they won't mind, either. Warrenton is 10 miles upstream from Ilwaco, and the river is very different.

I know what you mean on the J&CL missing. But we're trying to get them to come down on some other weekend so they see what it's about.
Work Release

City/Region: Everett, Wa.
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Work Release
Photos: Work Release
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Warrenton Reply with quote

Mike,
Looking forward to the gathering and learning how you guys fish for those sturgeon. I still have that little tool you lent me at Cathlamet and will return it to you at Warrenton. Been on crutches for about a month with a fractured ankle, but should be rid of them by the middle of June.
Question, How heavy of a rod and reel does a guy need for this fishery? Is salmon gear a little lite? and what size line and leader?
Thanks,
Jim, Work Release
B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dangnabit, looks like well be having a family invasion for the kids graduation sturgy derby weekend....I was hoping to make it down Sunday for a bit but that aint looking to promising.....oh well, I get to watch the kid walk the plank

Mike will have all the good fish caught by the time I get down there
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Us So Cal folk just got a real treat. The June 10, 2005 issue of Western Outdoor News has a photo filled article on a recent charter sturgeon trip guided by Paul Lindes out of Portland Ore, and has photos of one 8' long beast estmated at over 250# Shocked and the many equally impressive "oversizers" they were targeting.

OK, Mike, there's a nice retirement hobby business for ya!

Don
TyBoo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is thing still on? Sure has been quiet. About the only thing I have heard is a couple folks who were signed up can't make it. No matter what - me and old Tim will be here. Except I will be late Friday evening because of unavoidable business to take care of.

Oh - and my streak remains unbroken! Once again, I failed to catch a keeper fish on the free fishing weekend!

Speaking of free fishing... For you WA folks, if you have a current WA fishing license and harvest tag (one that includes sturgeon), you will not need any other license to fish in the mainstream Columbia River - even if you depart and land in an Oregon port.

I went out there this morning for a few hours. It was beautiful. A little rain, but absolutely no wind. Totally different from yesterday. But, even though I would not have had to tag it, no fish.

The only smelt I can find around here that is any good is some Puget Sound stuff that sells for eight bucks a dozen. If you PS folks can find fresh frozen smelt up there cheaper than that, you might want to get some to bring with you. The crabs are still pretty thick, so the bait doesn't last long laying on the bottom where it has to be for the sturgeon. (The crabs aren't any good either - very small.)

The Warrenton boat ramp is easy to find, and the mooring basin is right around the corner from it. The launch fee is $5, and I believe that parking is included. The moorage is still $12 I think. There are plenty of empty slips in the C-Dory section. Just look for two 22 Anglers, a 22 Crusiser, and a 25 Cruise Ship. We sorta stand out from the crowd. If you need directions to the ramp, just ask out loud.

So, who is going to try this thing with us?
Work Release

City/Region: Everett, Wa.
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Work Release
Photos: Work Release
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Columbia River Strugeon Reply with quote

Hi Mike,
I'm sure planning on making it! Will be seeing the doctor tomorrow and hopefully get rid of the cast and crutches. Hope to leave Friday morning from Everett. I will check out the availability of smelt in this area. Is there and specific size I should be looking for? Do they use shad or sandshrimp down your way? I was also wondering that size hooks, lead, line, and leader I should be bringing? Sorry for all the questions, Its time to get geared up.
Jim, Work Release
TyBoo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 6/0 Gamis (barbless) and 72# nylon leader. We use 5, 8, 10 or 12 oz. pyramid sinkers depending on the current. I have a new spool of leader (you use less than 20" to tie up a rig), so don't go buying any just for this trip. I also have a bunch of sinker sliders, so you all are welcome to them, too. I like to use 30# Maxima Chameleon line on the reel. It is tough and abrasive resistant. If you need/want to fill your reel with that stuff, there is a service spool on board my boat and a skipper willing to share it. You gotta crank your own handle, though.

And, as a special gift for all who show up, I have some custom made stainless steel bait threaders. There will also be some freshly smoked/canned sturgeon. Sorry, no banjo. Too bad. Maybe we should have lobbied to get Terraplane Tom out here.

Here's a typical setup.
Jeff and Diane

City/Region: Renton, Washington
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Immacu-Nada/"C-Spaz"
Photos: Immacu-Nada
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyboo,
Since your giving everything but the kitchen sink away we will be be there for sure. Will probably just use the 70 lb. on the reels from the last Halibut attempt. I'm to lazy to spin new line on my Penns unless there is some advantage to the 35 lb stuff. Do the stugeon know we are not per Tyboo code? I will need a block of instruction on that knot on the hook as I bought the Halibut rigs pre made and I only use surgical knots on flyfishin/rock fishin rigs based on a demo from a doctor when he was sewing my arm up once during my short construction workin career. Lookin at the map it looks like 5 down to 30 and then west thru Astoria is the easiest way to go. Is that correct? once we get to Warrenton will there be signs for the marina/boat launch?

See Ya soon...
TyBoo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Far out. 70# is good. The knots don't have to be surgical, just sturgical.

As you leave Astoria on the Highway 101 (30 becomes 101) bridge, you'll see the sturgeon grounds to your northwest. Your right northwest. As soon as you get across the bridge, there will be a traffic light. Turn right at that intersection and go between Shilo and RiteAid toward Warrenton. About a mile or so down you will see a small bridge coming up. Just before you get to that bridge, turn left. You'll see the sign for the Tackle Time bait shop down there below the bridge. That is the launch ramp spot. After you float the boat, you drive the truck under the bridge and park in the lot right there. The ramp down to the dock closest to the big parking lot takes you right to the C-Dory section if you want to scout it out before motoring over from the launch ramp. You drive the boat under the bridge, too. It's easy.

See ya there!
Lynn Marie

City/Region: Redmond
C-Dory Year: 1997
Photos: Lynn Marie
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear we still have interest in our little corner of the world and that the Fest is still on. I'll be up at the marina early on to meet and greet those showing up in the early PM. I also have plenty of extra gear so don't anyone go out and buy a lot of hooks and such although if you've been looking for that special marine store trinket Mike or I may take you over taxed Washingtonians up to Englunds Marine Supply to go nuts.

I kept my free string in tack too with no keepers but was just pulling up along side Harv and his wife who limited their boat with a double going on as we anchored. That was just above the bridge in about 23' of water where the small crabs are not quite as thick. Most folks were using fresh anchovy which we Can get right at the marina and I still have a 10# block of smelt I've been hording for this gig since it is the only time I could use that much smelt at one time.

See you all here this Friday,

Tim

Helen O

City/Region: Cathlamet
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Helen O'
Photos: Helen O'
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: