The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

C-Brats Key Chain/Medallions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kars10

City/Region: Monroe
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lexi-Coho
Photos: Kars10
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: C-Brats Key Chain/Medallions Reply with quote

Hello C-Brats! I have been wanting to make a keychain using our logo in the top left corner of this forum. I am looking for the logo and can't seem to find it. Is there any chance I can get a good quality file from the person who owns the graphic? Then I will convert it into a 3D file and make my keychain. Pending the groups approval that it meets the cool factor. I have no intention of selling them. But would make extras for some group gathering give aways. I will post my progress in a folder to share with the group. I'll be using 3D printing for the actual process. I'm teaching my kids about this technology and its makes it fun to learn with things you enjoy. If you PM me I'll share my email to send the attached file. Thank you!

Karsten Aagaard
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Cool It will be fun to see what you come up with.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can just right click on the logo and then "Save image as...". Don't know how big an image you need, but the saved image might be good enough for keychain sized items.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is fairly easy to copy any graphic file and size it up or down. Currently I am working on a front license plate, with a graphic of a C Dory 25. I started with the line drawings of the c Dory 25, then upscaled them to close to what I wanted. Placed a guide over the drawing, and then drew on graph paper the basics, and then added the accessories for our particular boat.

The final product will either be 1/4" Starboard, with 1/8" or larger routed inset lines, filled with black and silver melted HDPE, or on a 1/8 piece of acrylic plastic, with the lines done with pin striping tape. I am currently experimenting with both--The 3 D printing is something I had never considered--lacking a 3 D printer. Which is a great idea!

Good luck with the project, and show us the steps you go thru! Tell us about the 3 D printing.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a quote from Will in 2009 that should help with your questions. As far as I know the policy has not changed any.

When things settle down after Thanksgiving you might try sending Will a PM to request the graphic file in a format that works for you.

Da Nag wrote:
Our logo policy is pretty simple. The official C-Brat logo is free to use for any personal, non-commercial use.

If you're doing something for yourself, boat, crew or family, there's no need to ask - just use it.

When used for merchandise at events and gatherings, we'd appreciate being asked ahead of time. We've never turned down a request. All we ask, is that no profit be realized for any merchandise being sold - actual cost of items can certainly be recouped.

I've official C-Brat logo artwork available, in virtually any format needed, and in a couple color schemes. While you can certainly grab the logo from the web page, this is typically not ideal - merchandise manufacturers typically want things in vector format for best results, i.e. Illustrator or SVG. These formats allow you to have a perfect logo, be the finished size tiny or huge. These formats also allow designers to more easily incorporate our official logo into something custom, i.e. an event specific graphic for a C-Brat gathering.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
...-The 3 D printing is something I had never considered--lacking a 3 D printer. ...

My area public libraries have workshops that contains a couple of 3-D printers (among other things) that people can use for free (you may have to pay for materials). You can develop projects at home and take or send the files to the library for printing.

The libraries also have 3D carving machines.
Kars10

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have copied the file from the image in the upper left corner and it is very low resolution. I will work with it as best I can and if we can't find a better image quality, I can do it with other means. I really like this particular graphic as it is just the right caricature and the wave and circle make a great frame for the keychain. I have lots of experience with 3D printing and prototyping as I am a model maker by trade. My hobby is my work! thanks for the great replies!
Kars10

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a graphic of our sticker and the boat image is a good resolution. I will combine the two logos and I should have what I need! Thanks All! I hope to be at the SBS boat show and also will really will try to be at Marks gathering as well!
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to correct the color to blue, as I did on my (monkey) business card.

Mark

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
It is fairly easy to copy any graphic file and size it up or down. Currently I am working on a front license plate, with a graphic of a C Dory 25. I started with the line drawings of the c Dory 25, then upscaled them to close to what I wanted. Placed a guide over the drawing, and then drew on graph paper the basics, and then added the accessories for our particular boat.

The final product will either be 1/4" Starboard, with 1/8" or larger routed inset lines, filled with black and silver melted HDPE, or on a 1/8 piece of acrylic plastic, with the lines done with pin striping tape. I am currently experimenting with both--The 3 D printing is something I had never considered--lacking a 3 D printer. Which is a great idea!

Good luck with the project, and show us the steps you go thru! Tell us about the 3 D printing.

Bob 1/8” acrylic clear, paint the back a solid color a sign shop with a 50 watt laser. They can cut it out and engrave a vector graphic in to it in one shot then color fill the engraving. They turn out nice. This is how these name plates were made. http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Upgrades&id=IMG_1250&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

thataway

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, Jody. I also went thru your improvement albums. Some really great ideas. I see you have a National Luna combo freezer/refer. I had thought they were hard to find in the USA. It looks like a great combo size, and they have great reviews!

I am basically experimenting with the technique of melting a HDPE :"welding rod" into the grooves in a Starboard piece. It is done in industry, so it should be successful. A little challenge, in keeping my mini router lines true--and a laser cutter would certainly be one way of doing the graphics! My technique is very old school....
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob lots of different ways to approach it. Post a picture when your done so we can see what it looks like. Lately i've been playing with a 36" cnc router and I am just getting ready to replace it with a Legacy cnc Maverick and will see what it can do.
Nancy and Bud

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: IL
Vessel Name: Emma Mae
Photos: Emma Mae
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:
Here is a quote from Will in 2009 that should help with your questions. As far as I know the policy has not changed any.

When things settle down after Thanksgiving you might try sending Will a PM to request the graphic file in a format that works for you.

Da Nag wrote:
Our logo policy is pretty simple. The official C-Brat logo is free to use for any personal, non-commercial use.

If you're doing something for yourself, boat, crew or family, there's no need to ask - just use it.

When used for merchandise at events and gatherings, we'd appreciate being asked ahead of time. We've never turned down a request. All we ask, is that no profit be realized for any merchandise being sold - actual cost of items can certainly be recouped.

I've official C-Brat logo artwork available, in virtually any format needed, and in a couple color schemes. While you can certainly grab the logo from the web page, this is typically not ideal - merchandise manufacturers typically want things in vector format for best results, i.e. Illustrator or SVG. These formats allow you to have a perfect logo, be the finished size tiny or huge. These formats also allow designers to more easily incorporate our official logo into something custom, i.e. an event specific graphic for a C-Brat gathering.

I PM'd Will with no response. Anyone else have a hi-res image they could share?

thataway

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a rough photo of the front license plate I made for the C Dory "hauler". I have not decided if I want to put "25" or "Thataway" on the bottom.

The plate is a plastic (probably acrylic) which has the dealers logo on the other side. Sanded lightly with 300 wet and dry. Then used automotive striping tape: 1/8" thru 1/2 inch to do the boat outline. The windows and prop are air conditioning duct tape which is reflective silver foil tape. The motor is striping tape, but I may modify that to use a single piece of silver-grey tape 2 x 3".

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a pretty cool job Bob. Nice, if you don't have to have a front plate.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: