The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Minks in my C Dory!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert H. Wilkinson wrote:
you can edit or delete yourself up to 30 min from post time.

No, I could edit, but I could not delete. I looked all over for a delete option and found none.
For example, I am now editing this post, about one minute later. I see no option to delete it.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcg wrote:
Robert H. Wilkinson wrote:
you can edit or delete yourself up to 30 min from post time.

No, I could edit, but I could not delete. I looked all over for a delete option and found none.
For example, I am now editing this post, about one minute later. I see no option to delete it.

I have never seen a option to delete a post. All you can do is delete the content, but not the post itself. Seems like a oversight by the designers of the forum software. Perhaps there is an admin option that turns the delete feature on/off.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, I just saw this about moth balls and mice:

Quote:
"It was believed that by placing mothballs near a mouse nest you will get rid of your rodent problem. ... The amount of naphthalene found in mothballs is a small. It's enough to deter moths and other insects, but for mice it's no problem. The levels of naphthalene needed to repel mice are the same needed for humans."

On the same place I saw a blurb about using instant mashed potato flakes too. Put a couple of tablespoons into a large jar lid, and put them out. The mice will eat them and then go drink water, causing the flakes to swell and that will kill the mice.

I had understood that the TomCat green pellets or blocks were non toxic to secondary "victims". This is from the TomCat website:

Quote:
"Bait shyness is not a problem with TOMCAT baits because mortality occurs a few days after bait is consumed. It is also less toxic to non-target animals, in both primary and secondary poisoning situations, than other single-feeding anticoagulants. The antidote, Vitamin K1 is readily available and there is a time factor for treatment."

When I shared a shop with Paul, he used a 12" wooden ruler with a dab of peanut butter on the end, placed so it would just ballance on the edge of a counter or work bench. Under that end was an empty garbage can. When the mouse walked the plank to the PB, the ruler tipped placeing the rodent into the garbage can where it waited for Paul to take it for a ride to the woods.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
When the mouse walked the plank to the PB, the ruler tipped placeing the rodent into the garbage can

I like that Harvey - Cbrats even trap rodents in a "Nautical" manner! Add some seawater to the can and they could walk the plank into the briny blue yonder!

Moxieabs

City/Region: Cape Neddick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Widget
Photos: Widget
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, maybe the mice in Maine are tougher than the mice in Wisconsin, but I found nests on top of the mothballs, no issues after switching to the dryer sheets. I do replace/refresh them @ 6-8 weeks. Once, on first launch of the season, had at least a dozen or more mice scrambling out of the trailer tung as I backed it down the ramp into the water. Now put sheets into openings of the trailer frame(had to replace the entire wiring harness that year). The neighbor had to replace the under-hood wire harness of their car(garaged) @ $2800.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. First, I don't like the poison methods, as dead mice stink! And who knows where they will crawl into to die. We bought a house in the country one time, and pretty sure I had some dead mice in the wall next to the basement stair way. For a good year, anytime you walked down to the basement, you had to go past that wall. Trust me, it's not a good smell! I have used moth balls in the past, but liked the dry sheet idea better, because of the better smell. Same with Irish Spring. I too have had to replace trailer wiring as the little critters would make mesh of it in the tongue or other internal areas. Last year I stuffed two bars of Irish Spring soap in the tongue as far as I could. The lights all worked ok last year. Not sure if the soap is still in the tongue, but I did stuff a new bar in there last week, so hopefully when I pull the boat out for Hontoon, all my lights and brakes will be working. (No fun trying to fix that late February when our temps here are still below freezing.) I'll probably go back out on the boat this week, after the ice on the cover melts or evaporates, and we have some sunshine and maybe closer to freezing temps. (Below freezing now.) The Bounce fabric sheets seem to have the most endorsements (probably the most aromatic), so perhaps I will buy another box and place them out with the moth balls. Earlier the smell was pretty strong. However, after several months, it kind of lost it's potency. Colby
RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
C-Dory Year: 2007
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my pest control days: Use traps and a lot of them. Also if possible exclude them. While steel wool works well sealing cracks and crevices it may not stand up to a marine environment, and rust can be a staining problem. It should not be all that difficult to seal off the cabin area. Would there be any danger to wrapping wiring in aluminum foil for the winter? But again, traps and a lot!
ssobol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put dryer sheets in enclosed spaces plus removing anything that they can make a nest in. I blocked the wire ports and the hawser hole with duct tape and bronze wool (won't rust). This seems to keep the mice out of the inside of the boat.

However, mice and maybe squirrels seem to like sit around on the outside of the boat under the cover. They don't do anything except make a mess. I placed Fresh Cab and bags of moth balls around the outside of the boat and in the splash well. We'll see how it worked in the spring.
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a high frequency rodent repeller in my attic and it works wonderfully.

You need power however.

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had horrible rat and mice problems in the pass in both the boat and the camper. Also in my parents new RV with in hours of them setting up here. We live on 2.5 acres of woods so its an ongoing problem.

We use CAB FRESH. Non toxic, smells good and the rodents hate the shit out of it. Once you get the mice out of the boat just place 4 or 5 of these bags thru out the boat and you are set. Boat has been sitting for months now and not one rat, mice or other rodent.

Heres a link https://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Cab-Botanical-Rodent-Repellent/dp/B00L236OMW/ref=asc_df_B00L236OMW/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198081460782&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8268309932409643225&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033390&hvtargid=pla-348033173900&psc=1

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobLL wrote:
From my pest control days: Use traps and a lot of them.

Rats and mice are vermin. Disease carrying vector. Period. I don't get the "drive them to the woods and release them" thing.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
RobLL wrote:
From my pest control days: Use traps and a lot of them.

Rats and mice are vermin. Disease carrying vector. Pehriod. I don't get the "drive them to the woods and release them" thing.

Mark, me either, but Paul was an avid bird watcher and he figured he was feeding the hawks -- of some kind.

My favorite kind of "vermin" is a flat one. Thumbs Up Smile CoolSmile

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
ssobol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
.... Rats and mice are vermin. Disease carrying vector. Period. I don't get the "drive them to the woods and release them" thing.

You can say the same about a lot of humans. You just can't do the "drive them to the woods and release them" thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: