The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Minks in my C Dory!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What farmers use: a good barn cat.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread reminded me of the mouse trap I built before retiring at the paper mill. They guys in the shop wanted me to leave it as a legacy when I left and they tell me it is still working flawlessly. It has a laser photo eye that trips a solenoid and drops a door when the critter gets half way into the box. Works with a DeWalt battery.

It catches rats, mice and a surprising number of squirrels. I would suggest you make one for yourself but once you figure in all the parts and labor we estimated it cost Georgia Pacific right around $3000. It was also costly to use because every time it caught a critter then two or three of us in the cat shop had to get in the truck and run up to the woods to let it go. That usually took most of the morning. And you wonder why toilet paper is so expensive!

The first rat it caught almost made it out so we did a little rewiring and repositioning of limit switches and it was never empty when sprung.

I am still waiting for the world to beat a path to my door.

C-Green

City/Region: Houghton
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Green
Photos: C-Green
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brass or bronze wool also works good for plugging holes - obviously never rusts. Available at hardware stores and maybe art supply stores.

Jay
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:
This thread reminded me of the mouse trap I built before retiring at the paper mill. They guys in the shop wanted me to leave it as a legacy when I left and they tell me it is still working flawlessly. It has a laser photo eye that trips a solenoid and drops a door when the critter gets half way into the box. Works with a DeWalt battery.

It catches rats, mice and a surprising number of squirrels. I would suggest you make one for yourself but once you figure in all the parts and labor we estimated it cost Georgia Pacific right around $3000. It was also costly to use because every time it caught a critter then two or three of us in the cat shop had to get in the truck and run up to the woods to let it go. That usually took most of the morning. And you wonder why toilet paper is so expensive!

The first rat it caught almost made it out so we did a little rewiring and repositioning of limit switches and it was never empty when sprung.

I am still waiting for the world to beat a path to my door.

Now that is a government project!! Thumbs Up Mr. Green
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the bronze wool if they are coming through little crannies.

Listerine works as good as mothballs. I wouldn't use poison. It's the gift that keeps on giving. Mouse eats the poison and stumbles out. Owl (or house cat) gets it. Owl drops out of sky. Bob cat gets it. Bob cat dies. Raven gets it. . . . . Use poison only if you and your neighbors don't want any animals around (including pets).

If you have freezing weather, this won't work in the winter. I bought some "walk the plank" automatic reset traps when the mice were chewing my Muck boots and rain gear on the porch. Check the prices on these because the vary widely.

You hang them on a 5 gallon bucket with a few inches of soapy water in it. Bait the end of the plank with peanut butter. The plank is lightly held out with a magnet. When the mouse walks out, plank drops mouse into soapy water and resets for the next mouse. 5 in one night was my record. Only bad thing was once a young weasel must have smelled the mice and it also drowned. Good for my neighbor's chickens but I could use the weasel's help on the mice.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we lived in the country my Kubota and beater Ford 250 neither of which I used all that much needed bait stations for mice. I couldn't figure out a less lethal system. Both had so many vulnerable locations there was no chance of sealing them out. My fond hope was that the Mus died in situ. LOL
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back out on the boat today, before the big blizzard they are predicting gets here.... Cleaned up the wiring that was chewed into, which fortunately wasn't much and accessible. Found the little bugger in the mouse trap. Hope he was the only one, as I only pull up the cover about once a month to check on stuff, so didn't want to leave the trap out there. Picked up the old dryer sheets, which had pretty much lost their smell, and went the moth ball route. Hopefully those will keep their smell a little longer. Placed small sachels of them in various strategic locations. As for the cabin, I have corks in all the thru-hulls, and heavy sponge and dryer sheets in hawsehole. The area in the aft cabin bulkhead where wiring comes thru is filled pretty well with expanding foam, and even if mice chewed into it, the wires are so tight in the hole I don't think they'd get thru. Anyway, the cabin has been mouseless over the past few years. So keeping my fingers crossed the moth balls do a better job, and I'll be sure to replace them when the aroma is gone. As for Irish Spring soap.... I had a bar in our full sized home grill. Haven't used the grill for a little over a month, but opened it up to check today. Yep, a nest in there, but no critter. And the soap had been chewed on...
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsturm wrote:
Now that is a government project!! Thumbs Up Mr. Green

Funny, cause I was thinking the exact same thing! Build a $3K trap and have a gobment worker drive it out to the woods to release it. Or just buy a $2 snap trap and scrape the remains off into the trash, rinse, repeat...

To me the only good rat/mouse is a DEAD rat/mouse.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ummm... how do you delete a post? I can edit this post, but there is no option to delete it.

You can't. I forget the reason, but perhaps Tyboo or DaNag can refresh our memories. Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to differ with my friend Colby because he is right in that you cannot go back hours or days later, but . . .

Ahhhhh, but you can edit, BUT you only have 30 minutes to do that.

OR

You can look at what the post is going to look like by clicking on the "Preview" button, just to the left of the "Submit" button, and look (and correct if needed), before you press the "Submit" button.

Harvey
SleepyC

colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably could have said a little more. Mr. Green But regarding the edit and delete. I think once or twice, after changing my mind on a post, I just went back within that 30 minutes, and edited it to say, "Deleted". Razz Colby
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate meeses to pieces. They chewed on the electrical in my car once. The neighbor yelled "What's going on inside your car?" The white powder is from the fire extinguisher. I laid on the ground, cracked the door, and shot off the extinguisher. Totaled anyway.

Mark

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="colbysmith"]
Quote:
Ummm... how do you delete a post? I can edit this post, but there is no option to delete it.

After the 30 minute time limit expires you have to message Tyboo and ask him to delete your post. In place of your post it will say "post deleted by author".

pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd that you have to wait 30 min. Why not just let someone delete immediately?
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcg wrote:
Odd that you have to wait 30 min. Why not just let someone delete immediately?

Paul, you can edit or delete yourself up to 30 min from post time. Only after the 30 min. limit do you need to contact admin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: