View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Canadian gas Reply with quote

Wondering if our northern neighbors have avoided the Ethanol scam -- i.e, do I need to use Sta-Bil with Canadian gas?

Thanks,
Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Canadian gas Reply with quote

Doryman wrote:
Wondering if our northern neighbors have avoided the Ethanol scam -- i.e, do I need to use Sta-Bil with Canadian gas?

Thanks,
Warren

From this site -
Quote:

" * Ethanol-blended gasoline

Ethanol-blended gasoline is a fuel that typically contains up to 10% ethanol in unleaded gasoline. We use ethanol in our gasoline where legislation requires its use and where conditions warrant. The Federal Government has regulated that motor gasoline sold in Canada after Sept. 1, 2010 must contain an annual pool average of 5% ethanol. Different provincial mandates also exist, some with higher ethanol pool requirements. Because of these mandates, most grades of Petro-Canada fuel may now contain up to 10% ethanol. This represents a change from the previous state, where premium fuel was ethanol-free at Petro-Canada. To find out if ethanol-blended gasoline is sold at a station look for the yellow labels in the pump area indicating that the fuel may contain a maximum of 10% ethanol.

So I guess that means you might find ethanol free gas but you might not. Probably you should carry some Stabil on board but you should use the Canadian version - St Ehhhhhbil, Eh.

Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Canadian gas Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
St Ehhhhhbil, Eh.

Laughing
duff

City/Region: thompson falls
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya Use it in Canada I filled up last year in rivers inlet and half hour latter right in front of cape caution my boat died, had some stabilizer with me poured it in got the boat running again first it would just idle then slowing the power came back and it starting running fine but it was a scary moment or two bad place to have a fuel problems and it was water in my fuel from Duncanby landing in rivers inlet.
westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duff: do you have a water separating fuel filter between your fuel tank and engine? If so I'm surprised water got by it in quantities sufficient to cause that failure. I've always been told to watch for water in gas you buy on the water, including long before ethanol. I suspect that fuel issues are the single biggest cause of marine engine failure in general. Ethanol no doubt makes the problems worse. If your kicker uses the same type fuel as the main, you may also be able to take its fuel supply from an outlet port in the filter block. good luck to you! Mike.
goldpan

City/Region: Campbell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: REEL KNOTTY
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as i know up here in the great white north (birth place of most of the boston bruins) premium has no ethanol, some brands of midgrade do and some don't and i believe all regular has some ethanol, the marinas i have been at so far have all used no ethanol fuel (although i have been to that many yet)
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Warren I don't think we have ethanol in our gas, however I still run stabil year round anyway. George
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: