The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Auxiliary helm and control station(25')
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phantom

City/Region: Danville, Ca.
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Auxiliary helm and control station(25') Reply with quote

When Mary and I first looked at the CD 25, she was instantly smitten, while I had reservations. I had been looking at more fishing oriented "walkarounds".

Jeff Messmer, from the factory, had some suggestions to alleviate my concerns.

The 25 cruiser's helm is a long way from the cockpit. Virtually impossible for a single-hander to do any trolling,(without using a kicker) or even to secure the boat quickly after bringing it to a dock.

Jeff suggested an optional helm station on the bulkhead aft of the head. It's an electronic system which he said works quite well without taking up much room. View is somewhat restricted by the cabin, but reasonably decent through the windows to port, and completely clear, immediately forward and to starboard.

That will make it possible to operate both the main and the kicker from the cockpit, when desired.

Has anyone had any experience with, or even seen a setup like that? My boat will have it.

Don

Sealife

City/Region: Woodland Hills
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaLife
Photos: SeaLife
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,

I had some interest in such a setup for my new 22, but figured it was an extravagance I could live without. I was worried about it being weather protected also, being in a spot that get some spray. It would be quite handy, though, for manuvering in tight situations, paticularly with twin engines.

Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Cockpit steering Reply with quote

I know some guys in my fishing club who have seasports with this setup and I believe I saw one in someone's album here on a CD 22, it might have been snoopy c, but I can't remember. They are pretty sweet if you have the room. Although if it's mainly for fishing use, the TR-1 's are pretty nice! link is here http://www.nautamatic.com/gold/index.htm . Though they only control the kicker. So it won't help with docking as much. A full system like your looking at could do both main and kicker with an ez steer or something. I like the TR-1 because you can be anywhere in the boat and adjust course at a push of a button. It's great for fishing, and I know the salmon U guys swear by them. But it's not cheap, though I would doubt dual steering is either. A tr-1 is on my list of wants for my 22 when I get one. Just another option for you if you haven't seen them already.

Sark
Sealife

City/Region: Woodland Hills
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaLife
Photos: SeaLife
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,

Your post has rekindled my interest in a second steering station. A couple of questions:

1. You said the controls would be electronic. Would both stations have to be electronic?

2. Can you give me an idea of the additonal expense?

Mike - Sealife
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I went through the numbers drill on the Orca 24. I'm still gulping. Of course I'm old and (re)tired. A second station aft would be way cool. Of course I can't do it with the Baystar Disgust

Dusty

Phantom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, Jeff M. said both would be electronic. I asked if it would be like the "fly-by-wire" controls on some aircraft? He answered in the affirmative. I did not ask if it was just engine controls, or steering as well, but I got the impression it was all electronic.

He said you lose a little feedback,or "feel" but gain a lot of smoothness.

I was concerned about it being in the way, but he said it's very low profile.

He said not to worry about water or weather on it. Very weather resistant. I still plan to have something like a binnacle cover made for it when not in use.

I think the entire installation was around 7 grand, less one K for deleting the stock system. I'd have to check the invoice to be sure.

A bit spendy, but without it the boat would not work for me, and Mary was in love with it.

So... you married guys will understand. Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing

Don

Last edited by Phantom on Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Phantom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sealife, your Angler 22 is a piece of cake to get from the helm to the cockpit compared to the 25 cruiser. Laughing No serious need for the 2nd helm station, IMO.

A boat like yours is more what I intended to buy, until Mary fell for the 25. Confused

The 25 is growing on me, though. Cool

Don
jflug

City/Region: Bodega Bay
C-Dory Year: 1981
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Pescadory
Photos: Pescadory
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don - I'd ditto the recommendation for an autopilot. For the same investment as a second steering station, you can get a two-fer - steering capability in the cockpit and an AP. I put a Raymarine St6001 in my 22' Angler last year. You can buy it for under $1000, and I think the remote is another $350 or so. I did mine myself so I'm not sure what installation would run. The remote in this case is not wireless, but I know they're pretty weatherproof. The ST6001 doesn't have the circling capability, but for the money I think it's a great AP. For trolling especially, the AP is a wonderful thing to have.

My $.02 - Jim
Phantom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArimaSark, you are right. Snoopy-C has the remote helm. I just found pictures of it. Interesting. Thanks.

Hydraulic steering. Engine controls must be the electronics.

Jim, I agree. For the money the AP is hard to beat. Maybe down the road...
digger

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, guys, I did rig Snoopy-C up with the dual helm, or at least an adapted version. To do it, I used SeaStar hydraulics for steering the main motor from the main station, and the cockpit. I tied the kicker to the main. Then I remote controlled my kicker motor for cockpit shift/throttle control. I also use a trollmaster kicker control so that I can control the speed from the inside station. Thus, I can't shift the kicker from the main helm, but I can control the speed. I can shift and control speed on the kicker from the cockpit. However, I can't control speed or shift of main from cockpit. Thus, it isn't a totally dual helm setup for both motors -- I use it mainly to control steering and kicker for fishing. Previously, I was forever running through the cabin door trying to steer the boat when I was fishing. Can't tell you how many times I skinned the top of my head. I love the system for fishing, and the primary cost was the extra steering helm for the cockpit + the remote controls for the kicker. I can also do docking easier with the kicker from the cockpit, than with the main motor when I'm in the cabin. I bought most of the components off ebay, and have about $1000 investment.
digger

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note on the picture that I also have a gps and fishfinder mounted in front of the cockpit helm.
Phantom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done, Digger. Thanks.

I'm not sure how closely mine will resemble yours. I'm glad that you confirm that it is useful, though.

Your speaking about banging your head trying to rush in and out of the cockpit or cabin was exactly what I was seeing in my future. Laughing Laughing It would be even worse on a 25.

Another week or so and I can get a look at it, hopefully.
Pete in NY

City/Region: Western LI Sound, NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Miss Pam
Photos: Miss Pam
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

This is my first post, but I have been reading a lot of what has been written on this and the C-Dog site since before last summer. I am the owner of a new CD 25 (#72) w/2005 Honda 135 that I purchased from Three Rivers Marine in Fla at the end of July 2004. I keep my boat in the water all year long, on a mooring in Rye, NY in the summer and she is currently on the dock with a de-icing system in the same area. I prefer keeping the boat in the water so I can be underway in 10 minutes or less and without going through the trailer launching/reloading routine for the sometimes 3-4 hour jaunts around Long Island Sound and New York Harbor for a quick getaway.

I was trying to justify putting in the pricey Nautamatic for trolling and solo trips up the northeast coast despite the price since I liked the wireless drive from the cockpit ability, when low and behold I discovered the new to the market S1000 just coming out from Raymarine (mid-March delivery) for about $1,000. (1/4-1/3 the cost of Nautamatic ) The S1000 kit is designed for the Teleflex Seastar hydraulic system like is on my CD25 (HC5345 cylinder) and is really easy to install. All hose and T fittings are provided. The pump will mount on the bulkhead behind the steering and like the Nautamatic needs no rudder/outboard sensor. It provides wireless remote control steering, zig zag, circle or cloverleaf pattern around a waypoint and autopilot on/off/standby from a cell phone sized controller that hangs on a lanyard from your neck or rests in a cellphone like cradle at the helm, aft bulkhead, your belt or wherever. Raymarine's web site has some nifty video installation instructions so do it yourself type guys like C-Dory owners can see how easy it really is to install. I ordered one and will install myself as soon I get it and we get some 50 degree days here in the NY area. The package includes tools and hydraulic oil as well as the hardware and connects to my Garmin chartplotter. (works with Ramarine Seatalk or any NMEA interfaced GPS)

See: http://www.raymarine.com/raymarine/ProductDetail.asp?site=1&SECTion=2&page=1018&PRODuct_id=3011

and check out the "what's new" link .

Regards,
Peter
Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a dual helm on Sea Lion, my 22' 1995 Angler. I love it.
I have complete control of the throttle, shifting and steering of the main motor. With my EZ-Steer I can steer my kicker.
For docking in the wind by myself it is wonderful, for trolling for Salmon or Tuna it is a joy and for crabbing I wouldn't think of being without it.
I love it. With my 4 stroke Suzuki I even troll on the main motor as I can go as slow as .75mph. wonderful.
As far as electronic goes, when I was repowering the Yamaha and Mercury motors would require electronic controls for a 2nd station.

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
Phantom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Fisherman, that's what I hoped to hear. Thanks for the report.

Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: