fish finder

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacuthbert

City/Region: Vail
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pohaku
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: fish finder Reply with quote

I still have not placed my fishfinder into the CDory. I was reading about how to do it and terms were mentioned that I don't understand:
What and where do I find an "electronic buss"? Is that one of the many electrical connections located on the starboard side of the vberth at the back of the helm instrument panel? If I am correct, how do I choose which connector to hook up to?
Also, the thread I was just reading said they glued the transducer under the vberth where the hull has a single skin. I have looked (finally) under the cushions in the vberth and was pleased to find 3 compartments. Are any of these next to the single skin of the hull? Can I glue the transducer in one of those compartments? Or was this person referring to the place under the vberth that seems mainly to have been meant for a portable toilet? Is there some other place where the hull is single skinned?
I am really trying to avoid placing the transducer outside under the water line. I am not at all confident of doing that correctly, not to mention the issues involved with running wire from the transducer forward to where ever it is supposed to be connected in order to operate the receiver and get power to it.
Amanda
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There weill be two bus bars. One will be positive and the other negative. The positive will have red wires to it, and the negative black or yellow (occasionally white) wires to it. Between the two bus systems it should be 12 volts.

I put the depth sounder on the same system as the chart plotter--so it can be switched on and off. There is probably a spade connector. If so you can get a spade connector which will have a female bottom and two male upper parts. Take the GPS spade connector off the bus bar, and subsitute the double connector--then put on the positive (red) power supply to the fishfinder. (You will find that down the line having a good crimping tool and selection of various crimps is wise. You will find these on page 426 of the 2011 West Marine Catalogue. I like the multiple die racheting crimper kit--there are cheaper, but they do not do as good a crimp. You can buy a small connector kit on page 421/422--this also allows you to learn some information about the ring and spade connectors.

You don't want to just twist wires. You want to have a fuse between the bus bar and depth sounder. You may want to use a vacant screw with a full #10 ring connector (probably #14 or #16 wire) for the negative.

The transducer gets a bit more complicated. You want it to be parallel to the bottom of the boat. You don't want to tear out the platform where the portipotty is located. You want to put the transducer in the center of the boat, so it is pointing straight down, and not on the side of the hull, pointing ot the side. (There are ways of mounting on an angle, but that is more complex.) I would take a baggie full of water, put it against the hull in the bottom (boat in the water), and with the depth sounder hooked up, see if you get a reading, with the transducer pressed against the baggie of water from the top. The water acts as a conductive media for the ultrasonic signal). (This assumes that there is no foam, or a water tank in your way under the V berth). If the transducer works (shows the bottom on the Depth sounder)--then you can "pot" it in place with silicone sealant, or epoxy. There cannot be air bubbles between the transducer and hull. I usually make a box attatched to the hull, then mount the depth sounder transducer in the box, filled with mineral oil (which is an excellent media for the ultrasonic pulse). However, as I noted, this is more complex. There are also plastic bubbles for this purpose.

In reality you may find it easier to put a transducer on the transom. If you want to go this route--it is a subject for another post.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if the moderator can get you an album--and then you can take some photos. The reason I suggest this, is that you have a 2009 C Dory 25. I have a 2006 C Dory Tom Cat 255. Theoretically they should be set up the same. But my 2003 C Dory 25 was slightly different.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: