View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Seven Day Chesapeake Cruise Reply with quote

Northern Chesapeake Cruise,

We just returned from a week long cruise of the northern Chesapeake bay . We anchored out a few nights the others we stayed in marinas. We covered about 240 miles. We started out from Duffy’s marina near Fredericktown Md. Nice quiet marina good launch ramp. safe parking for the tow rigs. We walked to a local restaurant called the Granary which was nice right on the water great food. The first day we ran eight miles out the Sassafras river to the bay and then down to Rock Hall about 40 miles south. On the way we toured Worton Creek and dropped the hook for a lunch break then on to Rock Hall. We stayed at Rock Hall Landing marina which is a nice facility who have folks waiting at the docks to tie your boat and hookup shore power if you require it. They actually took another boater to West Marine about a mile away and waited for him, and then took him to the local hardware store waited again and brought him back to the marine. Customer service at it’s best. We ate at the Bay Wolf restaurant which was ok but in hind sight we should have eaten at the Waterman’s Crab House. Our waiter might have been a distant relative to Adolf Hitler. Some of the food was good some no so good. Thursday we headed for the back side of St. Michaels. Leaving Rock Hall we headed for the Kent Narrows and on down the bay to Knapp’s Narrows into the little Choptank river and over to Broad creek and then up to the San Domingo creek. 48 miles for the day. We anchored up in pretty spot about a mile from the dinghy dock next to a park on the less traveled side of St. Michaels. We ate at the famous Crab Claw restaurant which was excellent. Friday we headed for Oxford only 21 miles away. We drove up the Tred Avon river to Tripp Creek and headed back down to Oxford proper. We gassed up at the Mears Marina and headed on over to Hinckley ’s Boatyard. Fixed docks and pilings out front. After getting tied up (not pretty) we found the folks there especially Charlie who runs the ships store to be more than accommodating. We were a little light on Propane charlie went to his own boat pulled out a spare propane canister and hand delivered it to our dinner area. Nice man! Charlie gave us all a nice reusable shopping bag with info on Hinckley yachts with a couple of baseball caps etc. Free use of bicycles. Oxford is small but very pretty. We barbecued some steaks on the hard right behind our boat. Showers and laundry just a few steps away from the boat. Saturday we left Oxford and headed across the bay to Annapolis 40 miles. We got a spot right on the wall on Ego Alley with the Annapolis city marina. Lots of boats come and go thru ego alley the people and the boats provide non stop entertainment but it’s expensive. Nice showers etc but about 76 dollars a night with shore power. We took a water taxi ($2.00 per person)over to Eastport which is just across the bay. Lots of dining opportunities in Eastport. After dinner a water taxi back to our boat. Pretty good thunderstorm with heavy rain Saturday night. The front hatch provided a window to the lightning show. Good to have sail boats around with tall masts on a night like that. Our camper top kept the back of the boat nice and dry. Sunday am after a shower and taking some pictures we headed for Baltimore . 40 miles later after a side trip up the Severn River which is beautiful by the way we were in Fells Point district of Baltimore at Henderson’ Wharf Marina. More nice people here whoa we are in the city. Lot ’s of liveaboards here. A very secure marine with great parking with a sliding electric security gate. Only about 41 dollars which included shore power showers etc. After getting settled in we walked thru the Fells Point area which has lots of side walk cafes etc. We walked to a section of Baltimore called Little Italy and after water boarding a few locals we decided on Ciao Bella which is a fine restaurant which we felt provided the best meal of the entire trip. After the meal we walked over and around the Inner Harbor area and back to the marina. More intense thunderstorms Sunday night. Monday after showers and coffee we headed out and took a spin around the Inner Harbor area of Baltimore . We headed back across the bay which was flat as a pancake to the Sassafras river and about four miles in headed up into Back Creek behind Knight Island and anchored out for the night. We barbecued some and warmed up left overs finished up what was left of our wine supply. More thunder storms Monday night. Tuesday morning we ran the remaining miles back up the Sassafras to Duffy"s Marina and pulled the boat and headed for home. Pictures in our album page five under Chesapeake 2011. Good seven day spin, we lucked out on the weather. Very Happy

D.D.

Bill Uffelman

City/Region: Las Vegas
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kept my Ranger 20 sailboat in a slip at the old Granary back in the early 1980s.

When I worked for Allied had to deal with public sentiment concerning ships of chrome ore from USSR and South Africa tied up at Fells point -- painted a city scape on the buildings.

My wife's father imported autos through the inner harbor terminal in the late 1950s -- his office is now under the hotel on the pier.

Used to sail a friend's 32 footer out of Rock Hall between 1999 and 2004 and have eaten many a crab cake in Annapolis overlooking Ego Alley.

Glad you had decent weather and thanks for sharing the photos.

Bill Uffelman
High and dry in Carson City NV through June
joefish

City/Region: Great Falls
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: My Girl
Photos: My Girl
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, D.D. for the low down on what sounds like a great trip. In particular, I've recently been looking for first hand info on boating to Baltimore. My daughter's 21st birthday is coming up and she's an Orioles fan. I'm thinking, boat to Baltimore, go to a baseball game, and eat Italian at Ciao Bella.
joefish

City/Region: Great Falls
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: My Girl
Photos: My Girl
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS Excellent slide show. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Will-C

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Seven Day Chesapeake Cruise Reply with quote

Thanks Bill.

Joe Fish I believe The City of Baltimore has a free ramp pretty close to the Baltimore Marine center which is free and has pretty secure parking as the Marine Police dock their boats there. The marina at Hendersons Wharf was great as all the services are decent and the place is secure and where else are you going to stay for 41 dollars a night sleeping on the boat of course. The idea that you can walk to everything was really great. There is a Safeway grocery store fairly close I took a cab and one way it was about $3.80. The marina entrance is near a hotel and if you need a cab there are almost always sitting there. Pretty handy. We think Baltimore is really underated. We will redo part of this trip in the fall. Have fun. Baltimore's Little Italy is amazing!
D.D. Very Happy
jhwilson

City/Region: Mitchell County
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Placid C
Photos: Placid C
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Your trip description refueled many great memories of my Boston Whaler years on the Bay. The area around Oxford was my favorite. It is also great biking country. Give our best to Ginny.

Thanks,
Harper

jhwilson

City/Region: Mitchell County
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Placid C
Photos: Placid C
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Your trip description refueled many great memories of my Boston Whaler years on the Bay. The area around Oxford was my favorite. It is also great biking country. Give our best to Ginny.

Thanks,
Harper
sportner

City/Region: Buckeye
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 26 Osprey
Vessel Name: Glory Days
Photos: Traveler
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for a good description of the area, Toni and I hope to be there next month as we work our way up the ICW in Traveler, we are in Charleston, S.C. now.
Will-C

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Seven Day Chesapeake Cruise Reply with quote

Harper,
Thanks, and Ginny and I sends her regards to both you and Pat. We will catch up with you folks some day.
Traveler,
We have not explored the Chesapeake nearly enough. Although the Chesapeake can be hot and muggy mid summer, spring and fall are the best times as far as we are concerned. The rivers and creeks the creeks are size of most rivers elsewhere are almost endless. Up the rivers and creeks are places that are among the prettiest we have ever seen. The people are among the most friendly we have met. Not many rocks down there, mostly mud, anchorages are almost everywhere should bad weather come upon you. Enjoy the ride as you approach New Jersey send me a PM we have some local info that might be of interest.
Dave and Ginny Deem
easternshore22

City/Region: Eastern Shore
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are in the Choptank River close to Cambridge, MD. Any brat crusing the area feel free to PM me if you need any help or suggestions while in the area.

Franco

Eastern Shore, MD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: