The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Outboard Choice??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Poll Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

If you were equiping your C-Dory today (new or repower), what brand of outboard(s) would you choose for main power?
Evinrude
9%
 9%  [ 13 ]
Honda
52%
 52%  [ 72 ]
Johnson
5%
 5%  [ 7 ]
Mercury
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
Suzuki
9%
 9%  [ 13 ]
Yamaha
19%
 19%  [ 26 ]
Other
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 136

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Outboard Choice?? Reply with quote

OK - you are getting new power for your C-Dory, for whatever reason. Which brand are you going to buy? Same drill as the last poll: 2 stroke, 4 stroke, single main or twins, it doesn't matter. Who is the manufacturer?

Last edited by TyBoo on Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that all the new engines are excellent. I cast my vote for Honda due to the fact that Honda dealers are plentifull. Plus, it's my understanding that Honda outboards share many parts with other Honda power equipment which makes parts more readilly available...ya ya, I know it's dated technology but parts and service tip the scale in the Honda's favor for me.
TyBoo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that last poll thread was courteously conducted, I think. Oh, that Florida Mercury guy tried to goad me into a squabble, but I was able to maintain my poise and wait for the poll numbers to do the talkin'.

So then, what are some of the reasons for the particular motor choice you entered in the latest poll?

I stuck with the Hondas because the ones I have had (two big ones and two little ones) have been good to me. There is really no other reason that I could intelligently argue. I don't know if it is superstition, or just a comfort with peace of mind, but that's how I am. When I first got the latest TyBoo, I trailered it a few hundred miles, past several Honda service centers, to have the motors checked out and some warranty upgrades done by a dealer who had given me reason for trust. (I also got to see Dusty and a bunch of other CBs on the same trip!) Same thing would make me replace the Honda with a Honda when the time comes.

So go ahead and give your reasons. But remember, that guy who buys the Scot Atwater might have some stock in Sears, Roebuck or something, and deserves no ridicule for his choice. If you want to pick on the golddigger, well, there is only the one rule here.

Thanks.
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you gotta watch those Mercury guys (they're always overtaking).

I'm in salt much of the time and the 2 previous Merc's (200 & 40) have held up so well I went with them again, but ordered the saltwater series this time (more internal parts annodized and SS). I run in extremely shallow water will gimble up more than the rest with full coolant flow. I had a 175 Evinrude -- bulletproof, 88 and 90 Johnsons, ditto, a 9.9 Honda that didn't take salt so well (I live on the water so you can't clean them effectively and this hot Fl water is like acid). All my dredging equipment is Honda powered in fresh water -- flawless there.

I haven't done any scientific tests yet, but the Merc seems to be extremely thrifty on gas (that may be the way I run it, slightly ahead of on step).

All the engines are good now. Nothing wrong with Scott Atwater -- I've got one of the originals hanging in the barn (unless (X) other stole it).
AK Angler

City/Region: South Central
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Rod Holder
Photos: Rod Holder
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though the new 2-strokes are running as clean as the 4's, I would probably have to make the switch to the 4-stroke for longevity's sake (among other reasons). And if I did get a 4, I would probably choose Honda for the weight savings. I don't know though, is it worth the extra 30% cash?

Well, I voted for Honda.

But if it came right down to it, my wallet (OK, my wife's wallet) would probably take over and I would get the Johnson 2-stroke. About the same weight by the time you add a couple of gallons of oil to the 2-stroke, but $1800 less for Johnson's J50PL over Honda's BF50...

What a dilemma.

89CD16A- The Navicula has been sold...
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did this last Fall for the following reasons (listed in preferential order):

1. Yamaha/Mercury 90 - All highest quality, + modern , up to the minute technology, large alternator output , strong dealer networks. (Merc is a Yamaha powerhead with their own lower unit). Rather have the lower unit designed specifically for the powerhead.

2. Suzuki/Johnson 90 - Similar to Y-90, very hard choice between these two. Heavier, larger displacement, larger alternator output, but thin dealer network. Not an issue if you have a strong local dealer you trust. Possibly the strongest of the 90's due to displacement, but 40 extra pounds. (Johnson is a white Suzi, so their network is not an issue.)

3. Evinrude E-Tech 90- "The Sleeper"- light, efficient, cutting edge technology, but unproven....perhaps not an issue if you buy a new boat every year and your son is the local dealer, though!

4. Honda- Great classic choice and a proven winner. But rapidly getting outdated and perhaps a bit overrated compared with other newer choices. Still has carburetors and the harder starting. Lowest alternator output of the bunch. 2005 Honda Civic autos still have same three valve/stratified charge head and carburetors, so outlook for EFI not good for forseeable future. How will they meet increasingly tight emission standards? Great track record, but basically same motor sold two decades ago!

5. Nissan, Tohatsu, etc. Too uncommon and unknown to be considered at this time.

6. Scott Atwater, Sea King, Wizard, Faegol, Homelite, Bearcat, Clinton, and other unmentionables with sordid pasts:

If you have one of these classics and it's still in excellent condition, sell it on ebay and you'll probably get enough money to buy a new 2005 motor of your choice! (Force outboards not included.)

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Chuckpacific

City/Region: SW PDX
Vessel Name: Big Sky
Photos: Big Sky
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda.........turn it on, use it, turn it off........
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Rather have the lower unit designed specifically for the powerhead."

-- we would have to disagree on that one, after years and years of racing, one thing you won't have problems with is a Merc lower end. One of the reasons I went with it is the design can almost have the blades out of the water and still get coolant to the powerhead. Good points you made though -- I went through similar motions not long ago.

Don't count out the Atwater -- it's an excellent wall-hanger and can be used for fwd. ballast.
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda-see Chuckpacific (above)

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha.

C-Dory dealer sold Yamaha, great San Diego service center,though it's doubtful I'll ever need it, main Yamaha warehouse only 100 miles away, good size alternator and I've owned a few Yamaha motorcycles in the past. Waited for EFI, chose the 75 over the 90 after riding the Rana Verde and seeing I really didn't need the 15 hp. Step son was commercial fishing in Alaska and reported all he ever saw was Yamaha outboards on commercial rigs.

Now that I have one, I have a retroactive excuse. Bought it to irritate Tyboo.

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
terraplane

City/Region: chesapeake bay
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: BANJO
Photos: Sally's Sister
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: eastern shore gathering Reply with quote

It is amazing how often TyBoo comes up as a kind of "contrarion spirit" on various threads. As a newbie to c dory, i don't know whether to sympathize with him or realize he enjoys being the one who takes the other view. I do know I look forward to his comments, a lot.

Our Eastern Shore gathering might establish a Tyboo prize..what should the qualities be for the prize?

tom 'terraplane
TyBoo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah! How do you find me to be of "contrarion spirit" when I vote with the majority on both these polls? Honda's kicking outboard butt here, and I am just one of the silent many. And wait until all those teachers on that other thread find out you spelled contrarian wrong.

As far as that Sneaky guy buying a Yami, it wasn't done so much to irritate me, but more to kiss Red Fox's outboard butt. Everybody always did like RF best.

And Kleen Heat sucks.
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyboo Mike contrarian? No way. Mike tells it like it is and loves to stir the pot a little. And he uses a pretty good sized stick sometimes. Laughing

I bought Tyboo 22 from Mike and everything in the boat was Mike-ized. Which means it all worked, all well-designed -- and original Barber chair is still at the top of the heap. Great boat!!

Mike, (New subj), a commercial friend told me the smelt are in a holding pattern just outside buoy 10. May mean something to you, but nada to me.

The Old One - but Cynthia is catching up fast. Ask CatGuy Wink
TyBoo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sawdust wrote:
Mike, (New subj), a commercial friend told me the smelt are in a holding pattern just outside buoy 10. May mean something to you, but nada to me.

The Old One - but Cynthia is catching up fast. Ask CatGuy Wink

What that means is that B~C needs to get the Blue~C with its twin Hondas to his slip just inside B10 and get his butt and his boy out there nettin' the things.

I think I'll stay away from the C-Lou/CM thing until one of 'em goes down. Then I'll side with the one standing. And that's is not contrarian at all; anybody would want to side with Cynthia!
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who IS Catman. Where is that coward hiding? Rolling Eyes

Gotta be careful here cuz Catman is the guy who takes care of the old white headed one when he's thirsty (always), lost, and hungry.

Duster
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Poll Archives All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: