SENSEI

City/Region: Stanwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: SENSEI
Photos: SENSEI and SERENITY
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thanks to Dusty for helping us out with some directions to the shrimp beds on Lopez Island. we had a great time. the weather was great and the fishing was interesting. we have a lot to learn about the currents and flow out there. we had one good pull and then as we were setting out the last pot I looked for the other bouys and watched as they slowly sunk in to the current. by the time we tried to retrieve the last one we set it settled under just as we were reaching for it....lol.... we ended up waiting for three hours for the slack tide to allow the bouys to surface. it was quite a site to be looking for your flags and watch one slowly rise out of the water like a periscope on a submarine....lol....
All in all we had a good trip out on the water. we were hoping to have been able to get two pulls in early and then cruise on over to Fishermans Bay to see all the Brats but we had to wait out the tides instead Cry Cry

1993 22 Cruiser (sold 2014)
1995 22 Angler (acquired 2016)
1983 22 Classic (sold 2017)
Jon - CLou

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Lou
Photos: C-Lou and Pee Wee
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shrimp Roger! Dusty's the guy that knows about Lopez shrimping and it looks like he sent you to the right spot for sure.

Roger, Cynthia and I heard you hale the C-Brats Saturday afternoon, but we couldn't make contact with you on our vhf. We missed you guys at Lopez but it looks like you had a great time anyhow.
Jon
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you wouldn't live out the week if you posted the coordinates for the general neighborhood...At least some hints?

SENSEI wrote:
Well, thanks to Dusty for helping us out with some directions to the shrimp beds on Lopez Island.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd give coordinates but I lie a lot! And coordinates probably wouldn't help. Iceberg Pt. is a good starting place -- 260-300+ ft. of water and work east all the way to Coleville Island. Usually shrimp in 260 ft. plus, but you will pick up some nice smaller ones as shallow as 225 ft. Lots of pots out there now, but the shrimp move around, so a good spot today is not so good tomorrow. Hit it lucky for Roger, but I shrimped the same area the day before and got limits.

This is a "be careful" zone. Pots should be heavy and well-anchored - and your buoys BIG. I always try to shimp with less than a knot of current. Most shrimpers I've talked with have lost at least one pot in the area - and I've lost a few. Makes the price of spots about $100 a pound Sad

Dusty - still sad after missing Lopez.

DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
I suppose you wouldn't live out the week if you posted the coordinates for the general neighborhood...At least some hints?
[/quote]

Pat, if I'm not mistaken, I believe that Roger marked the good shrimpin' spot on the starboard side of the vessel Sensei.........tee hee.... Wink

C-Brat #16
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, reviving this topic for a while. This next Saturday, May 15, Hood Canal shrimping opens. It is open about four days, Saturday, Wednesday, Saturday, Wednesday, four hours each day or something like that...We are going to be down at Twanoh on Daydream, just picked up a couple of Hood Canal shrimp pots at Redden Marine in B'ham. They have larger mesh than Puget Sound shrimp pots. So we shall see what we shall see!
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My secret for shrimping at Lopez:

When I lived on Shaw Island back in the late 70's, this is how I would shrimp at Lopez. Get in the rowboat and row across Upright Channel until I saw the commercial guy, pull along side, give him $10, get a 10 pound bag of freshly cooked shrimp, row home. Stroke, munch, stroke, munch, munch. Sticky hands on the oars. Seagulls following the trail of discarded shrimp heads. A Beer when I got to shore. Oh, how I miss living up there. Sad But wonderful memories. Very Happy I am enjoying all of the posts and pictures form the Lopez get together. Thanks to all who contributed. I will not miss it next year. Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: