The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

tire advice needed
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackfish

City/Region: saltair
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: raincoast
Photos: Raincoast
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: tire advice needed Reply with quote

while I was doing the bearings on the trailer (following Marks tutorial
thanks Mark)
I noticed my tires have see better days
just wondering what I should be looking for at the local tire shop number of plys, max weight that sort of stuff
I have 22cd sitting on a single axle loadrite trailer

thanks Dave
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: tire advice needed Reply with quote

I would take a look at Carlisle's trailer tire radials. Most here like Goodyear marathons, but Carlisle are reported to be pretty decent. I just had four installed and it came to about 400 dollars mounted and balanced tax etc.
D.D.

potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: More is better Reply with quote

Particularly with a single axel trailer under a CD 22, the heaviest duty tire you can buy, plies, load range etc. One flat on a lonely highway will cost much more than a few extra dollars spent on buying the heaviest duty and best trailer tire money can buy.

I personally thing brand isn't an issue. They all are decent, but heavy duty is the key.

I can also tell you that trailer tire failures will most often occur at high highway speeds. So, heavy duty tires of any brand driven at speeds not in excess of 65 absolute maximum will last long and not fail you unless of course, you hit that occasional bit of angle iron on the road.

Also, tire pressure maintenance is also very important.

Now, to bias or radial is the next question. I do radial trailer tires, and I don't really know why.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A subject near and dear to my heart. We went RV'ing last summer and had to buy trailer tyres somewhere in Colorado, over 4th of July. My choice was to not get them, and sit in the trailer park, or buy Big O's brand of Chinese tyres. Bought 3 of those, they got us home and have worked fine since. They even came with a 3 year guarantee (cost extra, not available in California.)

So what's the discussion? Well, Goodyear Marathon (which both the boat trailer and RV trailer came with,) are now Chinese. I assume they're made for Goodyear at some Chinese tyre factory. Carlisle advertise they are the only trailer tyre made in the USA and I believe they're correct. If you don't want to buy Carlisle, your only other choice is Chinese, and from my experience, as long as you buy the load rating on the old tyre, they're all the same. So go to some tyre store you trust, and hold your nose, show them your old tyre and take what they give you.

As to upgrading the rating to heavier duty tyres, I tried that in a 22' sailboat. I went up on the wheel size and from 4 ply rating (obviously long ago) to a 6 ply rating. Wrong move. The trailer mfg had sized the springs to work with the 4 ply tyres, and the stiffer sidewalls of the new tyres beat the boat up as we went down the road. Cost me 4 wheels, and 4 tyres to learn that lesson.

Boris
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: I agree Reply with quote

You should be following the trailer manufacturer recommendations on tires IF in fact they make any recommendations. On my dual axle trailer, there is nothing about a tire being too tough, or even a comment on bias versus radial. Of course, the radials have thinner sidewalls, and work as little springs all on their own. So, I stand behind, the heavier duty the better as long as it doesn't violate a specific trailer specification.
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they are all the same. I bought 5 new Goodyear Marathon radials. They were all well maintained and not damaged by debris.

The first one I noticed a patch of tread separation while launching. Goodyear gave me a discount on a replacement. The second one was on a trip. I had just checked the pressure at a stop 30 minutes prior. The entire tread separated and tore off my trailer fender. Had to by a whatever replacement on the road. After sending the tire back to Goodyear via a dealer they replaced it and paid for the damage. The third tire separation was noticed by a trucker who stopped me and it is still sitting in my back yard.

If you read the trailer/rv blogs I think you will see it is a case of:

You pay your money and take your chances.

Good luck,
Steve
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: tire advice needed Reply with quote

Having had bias plys on our dual axle trailer I can tell you the radials offer a much better ride. Bumps tar strips etc are not transferred to the truck as much as the with bias ply. When cold the radials don't have flat spots, no thumping until they warm up. As far as brands go the ones I took off Trail America brand they were a poor excuse for a tire. Being somewhat slanted against buying Chinese if I can help it I went with the Carlisles. I only got about 5000 miles out the Trail Americas. I want to put Michelins on but I only have 14 inch rims and Michelin does not make a 14 inch tire with a heavy enough load rating. Plus I would have to raise my fenders and spring for four or five 16" rims. In August I will trailer to Yellowstone and Grand Teton so we will see how the Carlisle's do. I have trailered our boat from Maine to Florida which weighs in about 5500 pounds including the weight of the trailer. For me I'm a sucker for brand names.
On our last boat the trailer came with a brand called Planet Tire. They were trash in about 3000 miles. Those tires would not make a pimple on a Michelins rear end. That was a single axle trailer rated for 3900 pounds. I put a set of Michelins on it and never had any other issues. Michelin does not make trailer tires per say, but I have had success matching load ratings. if you are staying local, you run May Pops or Gonna Pops if you are a serious road warrior I'd stick with brand name tires that were not made in China. But that is just me! Smile

D.D.
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced 3 of the tires on my 22's trailer with "Power King Towmax STR" tires that Les Schwab recommended (the 4th is a relatively new Carlisle). I have had good service from my local LS and there are lots of LS dealers in the West so figure it won't be hard to get service. Time will tell if this was a good decision or not.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how us humans get brand/company hooked with just one good deed. I did with America's Tire Co (Discount Tire back East). When I was towing my previous boat, a 31ft trimaran (lighter than my CD25) to Miami from Califormia, one tire on my tow vehicle went bad. America didn't have the exact replacement (a light truck tire) so they put the best equivalent passenger tire on as a temporary fix (I was in a hurry to stay with the caravan group). In Miami they replaced the tire with the right one for free, all very professional.

So when 3 of the 4, 5 yr old Carlisle tires on my CD25's trailer developed large blisters on a trip from Los Angeles to San Francisco 3 yrs ago, I went to America's tire. I wanted to try Goodyear Marathons, but they convinced me their Chinese "Greenball" tires are better in their opinion (and cheaper). Went one load range higher (to E from D), radials vs bias that I had before. The ride is incredibly smooth now, stable and handling is fine, and nothing bounces off my table while trailering anymore. Those original bias ply tires were really shaking up my boat evidently, and I didn't know any different.

I've got about 7K miles now on them, very satisfied, no problems whatsoever (now I did it, shouldn't have written this BEFORE my trip up North next week).

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The local Les Schwab dealer in my area recommended a Gladiator tire. I believe it is Chinese. I have about 4000 miles on the tires for the boat trailer, and about 1000 on the tires on my Airstream (all Gladiators). So far, so good. Even if there is not a Les Schwab in an area that you might travel to, you can call them for information on the nearest dealer that also carries that tire.
nieking

City/Region: Lakeside
Vessel Name: Miss Emily
Photos: Miss Emily
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:15 am    Post subject: Trailer Tires Reply with quote

I recently replaced all four tires and rims on the Miss Emily and did a good deal of research. Ultimately I went with Maxxis M8008 tires. This decision was based mostly on internet/blog reviews and partly on local availability and cost. Although I have only put a few hundred miles on them, they seem to be performing nicely. BTW, I found the galvanized rims (new) on e-bay and got a set of 4 for $100. My stock rims were heavily corroded between the brake disk and inside rim surface that make contact. The area between the stud holes.
helm

City/Region: Medford
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Chack Chack
Photos: Chack Chack
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could look on The Hull Truth and search trailer tires. There is a lot of discussion there about each brand available and peoples experiences with them. The Maxxis tires that Miss Emily is using seem to be well regarded.
Eric

Finished the Great Loop July 7, 2011
RProffer

City/Region: Hollywood, MD
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Therapist II
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlisle tires seem to have more to them than comparable other brands. Compare the specs. I have had good luck with them on my utility trailer, and Carlisle came stock on my EZLoader trailer. My 5th wheel camper came with GoodYear Marathon tire. So far they are working okay.

What ever you get, make sure you get "trailer tires". Some dealers will try to tell you car or truck tires are just as good, but don't believe it. Trailer tires are a lot sturdier in the side walls. Also make sure all the tires, including the spare, are the same brand, size, etc. Otherwise, your trailer can be all over the road.

Previous Boats:
25' Marathon - cruiser
17' Bayliner - bow rider
14' Sears - tri hull, bow rider
blackfish

City/Region: saltair
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: raincoast
Photos: Raincoast
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the advice
got to love this site

as to what Rick Proffer is saying "Also make sure all the tires, including the spare, are the same brand, size, etc. Otherwise, your trailer can be all over the road."
I hadn't thought of this, of course the spare now has never been used
seems a waste to just throw it away but maybe this would be the way to go.

thanks again the all the help
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since seeing Charlie's thread about the God's inventing Tandems for trailer towing, ( and I agree any trailer loaded with anything that you value, should have tandem axels --- same reason, sort of, that I believe in twins over singles for power, --> safety and duplicit redundancy), I am looking at replacing near 6 year old tires with 80% of their tread and no sidewall checking, but, they are over 5 years old and they are on a single axel trailer.

So, It is looking like it should be "Carlisle" Trailer Specified tires of the proper size, but the question Question Question is:

Going from Bias to radial, I will get a softer ride, yes, but should I go up one load range level because, 1. Radials have softer (thinner) sidewalls, 2. It would stiffen the ride some to match the trailer spec'ed ride (spring tensions) and 3. I am still running a single axel trailer, (which I have given some thought to modifying to be a tandem axel with parts from the manufacturer ---Pacific).

What are my best choices for the new tires? Stay with same load range? OR ..... and I have 2 on the ground, and a very brand new spare that has never been on the ground. Does it need to go or can I still use it for a spare, to get me to where I can replace one of the other tires if they should blow?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: