The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

tire advice needed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RProffer

City/Region: Hollywood, MD
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Therapist II
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are changing the tires on the ground because they are old, just remember the spare is just as old even though it has not been on the ground (have you checked the air in your spare). The spare may be considered "just the get home tire", but consider that you may be in the middle of the hot desert (that is what caused your old tire to blow in the first place) and you have 100 miles or more to get home. If you blow an old tire because it is old and it cannot be repaired, then you probably will not be able to find an exact replacement (brand, model, size). All the tires on a trailer, including the spare, should be the same brand, model, and size. Never mix bias and radial - could have big trouble. A load range is a load range, regardless of the type of tire (radial or bias). The load range of the tire should match the load range of the axle, which should match the load range of the trailer.

If the tires you have are the original tires for your trailer, and the boat on your trailer is not overloading the trailer, then the load range for the tire is probably sufficient. You can increase the load range if you want, but you may get a little extra bounce if you have a light load.

If your trailer was made for a single axle, you may not have the room to add another axle. I have not seen kits to add an axle to a trailer. That does not mean they do not make them - I just have not seen one. You would usually add an axle to add additional weight (load) to the trailer. There is a lot more to increasing the load on a trailer than adding an axle. The whole structure of the trailer is different, probably need to add brakes, additional lighting, etc. You would be better off buying a tandem trailer, but then the trailer may be a lot longer than your boat. Unless you are overly concerned about safety, then I would recommend staying with the trailer you have. If you really must have the tandem trailer, then you should also consider dually's for your truck. To me, it is not coast effective for the load.

Previous Boats:
25' Marathon - cruiser
17' Bayliner - bow rider
14' Sears - tri hull, bow rider
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RProffer said,
Quote:
"If your trailer was made for a single axle, you may not have the room to add another axle. I have not seen kits to add an axle to a trailer. That does not mean they do not make them - I just have not seen one. You would usually add an axle to add additional weight (load) to the trailer. There is a lot more to increasing the load on a trailer than adding an axle. The whole structure of the trailer is different, probably need to add brakes, additional lighting, etc."

I would add an axel not to increase the load range capability of the trailer, but to increase the safety. Could add a second axel of the same load range as is there now, (thereby increasing the load range total of the trailer) or add a somewhat lighter duty axel, that would be there to share the load with the front axel, should something disastrous happen there. I don't think it would mean a longer trailer, only sliding the existing axel forward some and then adding the tandem axel aft of the original, splitting the difference with each, for and aft, from where the original axel was placed.

There may be much more to this process than I can guess, and I have not discussed this with the trailer folks so have no idea what their input is, but can guess --> "just buy a new trailer".

Thanks, this is still all in the idea Idea stage so will keep the thoughts bouncing around. (There is lots of room Rolling Eyes for that.)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the question about changing axels is the type of axel--the torsion axel is easier to change position than the leaf spring axel. Some states require brakes on all wheels. I don't see any negative to going to a higher load rating tire, as long as the load does not exceed the axel load rating. I don't see why a tandem axel boat trailer will be any longer than a single axel (22 C Dory here). I consider the single axel 22 trailer to be more of a yard trailer, and the tandem to be a road trailer. Some axels are just bolted on the frame, and easy to move; others have to have holes redrilled and are more difficult.

Good point on the spare, but I must confess I have always thought of the spare as just enough to get to a place where I can buy a new tire. (Same with RV's) Another option is to carry just a tire--However with many of the small trailer wheels, the complete set up is not that expensive--most tire services can mount a tire, even on the road. But some road services are not tire services.

There is a lot of controvrsy about the brands of tires. Goodyear Marathons used to be the "gold standard", but I understand that they are now built in Asia. Cooper is one of the few building tires in the US--but I think that some of their trailer tires are built in Asia. The Trail America I have on the Caracal--which are 5 years old--look terrible, and I am going to replace them, even though I only drive the trailer a mile or so--and am way under the capacity. Some have not had good luck with the Carlisle--others have had good luck.

I found that my 25 trailer did far better with radial tires, but I also went to the WD hitch, so that may have had some influence.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
teflonmom

City/Region: Red Lion
State or Province: PA
Vessel Name: Snickers AUG 08
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Tire advise Reply with quote

From years of towing trailers I have one thing to suggest. Do not skimp on quality tires. Be sure to get trailer tires. One trip we were forced to use an auto tire on a tandem trailer. It lasted only 95 miles in the hot Florida winter.

Make sure that any tire you buy has a weight rating high enough to carry your load. If you do not know the exact weight of your trailer get to a truck scales SAP.

The best investement we ever had was in BOAT US Trailer Club. If you tow a trailer sooner or later you will need help and Boat US helped us several times.

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Carlyle tyres are now Chinese, or so the local dealer tells me. I'm convinced that no matter what the brand on the sidewall, they're all similar. Just get them from a reputable dealer.

Boris
blackfish

City/Region: saltair
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: raincoast
Photos: Raincoast
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After searching high and low for the perfect trailer tire
in the end I went to the local shop where all the guys at work get their truck tires
And bought their made in China tire
I also got in touch with the local cdory dealer I think it was about 3700.00 for new tandem trailer at that price adding the axle plus brakes to the old trailer
Just doesn't make sense
McDory

City/Region: Edgewater, FL
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: McDory
Photos: McDory
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the Carlisle tires for a number of years on my boat trailers with pretty good results.

I contacted them and received the following response from them this morning regarding their trailer tires:

"The USA trails are made here in TN. The rest of the
trailer tires are either made in the USA or in China depending on the demand."

I have been using their USA Trails line which are bias-ply. Some long distance interstate drives as well. 2,000 mile round trips NJ/FL and 3,000 mile round trips FL/NY/VT,NH/ME and back to FL.

I agree with many of you that you should stay away from the Chinese manufactured tires. I don't trust that they use the proper compounds/mixes as specified by the US company that is contracting with them.
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: tire advice needed Reply with quote

I just got back from a 6600 mile trip with Carlisle radial load range C tires on our trailer. Our Float On tandem axle trailer has disc brakes. Our boat weighs between 5500 and 6000 pounds with the trailers weight included. We towed at 72 mph in temps over 90 degrees. The tires still look like new and handled everything I could throw at them. Much happier with the ride compared to the bias ply. The radials might have a little more sway to them after any jerky actions with the steering wheel on the tow vehicle. I thought they were made here (USA) but no matter for 400 mounted and balanced we are very happy compared to the may pops we took off.
D.D.

Socrateur

City/Region: Danville
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Sea Skipper
Photos: Sea Skipper
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Back to Tennessee, Jed Reply with quote

FYI, Carlisle tires will be made in the USA again in the future. The company has decided to build a plant in Tennessee for this purpose. They will continue to make tires in China for the Asian market, but they will make tires for the US market in the US. Don't know the time table but the decision has been made and they are moving forward with it.
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: tires Reply with quote

Whatever tire you end up with make sure you get them balanced . WE have a tandem axcel 4whl disc brake continental alum trailer . After getting the wheels balanced the trailer didnt bounce as much unloaded and rode a lot better with the 4000lb boat on it
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
TOGO

City/Region: Newport
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: TOGO
Photos: TOGO
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: tires Reply with quote

According to yesterdays Wall Street Carlisle tires is planning a plant on both coasts the other will be in Seattle.

Guy
Chester

City/Region: home
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good news that American made trailer tires, hopefully in the sizes we need, will be available again.
I was considering replacing the seven year old tires on our trailer this season but will give Carlisle a chance to build me a Made In USA set.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious if anyone is up to date on Carlisle tires, and how they are comparing to the Good Year Endurance?

I just had a pretty good run with Les Schwab TowMax, but no really hot, long distance tows.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlisle tires have had both good and bad reputations. I go with the Goodyear Endurance. I had a bad experience a few years ago with Carlisle. I have read on THT, of both bad and good.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just posted on another site about this. I've been running Carlisles and very happy with them. Got about 55,000 miles out of the last 4. (I do trailer a lot, anywhere between 10-15,000 miles annually the last 4 years or so.) The last set I ordered on Amazon were LR D for I think $65/each. (Or perhaps $80, I'd have to go check.) In the past I've ran LR C. But the D's were a great price. They run well for me, at 65mph, and are kept covered when at home just sitting for more than a few days at a time. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: