City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

We just got to Marcia's folks in Beaufort and are downloading pics. Hope to have them up tomorrow.

Rob,

When running we put it forward in a corner of the v-berth. Be sure to use one of the covers if you do that! My buddy David on Alma's Only has one of the rectangular models and he fabbed up a mount for the splashwell so it is permanently mounted. If you have a transom bar that is another possible location.

El and Bill,

Thanks for the best wishes. Hope you both are doing well.

Hi Brats,

Yesterday morning we left Charleston and headed south once again and spent the night on Edisto Island and were amazed at the tide running through the marina. We kept an unusually close eye on Boomer so he wouldn't fall in and disappear under a dock before we could do anything.

We dropped out of the ICW today and snaked through some very skinny water to enter St. Helena Sound to do some cobia fishing on Combahee Flats - to no avail, unfortunately. We did catch some flounder and reds though. We hope to hit it again tomorrow if the weather holds - looks like it might not though.

On a very positive note - this was Marcia's first experience cruising the ICW and she thoroughly enjoyed it, even making the comment, "This is absolutely beautiful. How could anyone refer to it as "The Ditch?"

She has become an even better first mate, navigator, line handler and has gotten into the cruising rhythm of early nights and mornings and taking it slow and easy. The sundowners help, too!

Also, it looks like next year we will pick up where we left off this year, Beaufort, and head south from here for 2-3 weeks and see where we wind up. Marcia will fly back home (can't wait until she retires) and I'll take Valkyrie back to Beaufort.

This is our first night off the boat here at my in-laws, but the house is rocking pleasantly.

Regards,

Nick
"Valkyrie"
JENAFUFFER

City/Region: Wrightsville Beach area
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Moon Doggie
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick

We have been out of town recently and justed logged in today Sunday 15th.

We are the owners of the 1997 C-Dory Moon Doggie south of Hampstead and behind Figure 8 Island

Wish we had known you were in route and would have enjoyed meeting you and providing an overnight slip and accommodations

Perhaps on the next trip

We have made the same travel south and find Bald Head Island and the Waccamaw River delightful

Jennifer and Dan Brock Moon Doggie
Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jennifer and Dan,

Sorry we missed you, too. Perhaps some other time.

Brats,

I finally got some pics from our trip uploaded to our album. Hope you enjoy them.

Regards,

Nick
"Valkyrie"
Rick from Maine

City/Region: No. Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick & Marcia,

I enjoyed the photos of the various boats. Ya can tell you are a boat nut! I also have a gazillion photos of boats from our travels. I particularly like regional working boats, like the shrimper.

Rick from Maine
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We enjoyed the photos of your trip so far - our thanks to you three! As far as the question of "Why?" on the one photo: it's gotta be somewhere.

Have fun, keep 'em coming.

Best wishes,
Jim & Joan

C-Gypsy

City/Region: Oriental
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Gypsy
Photos: C-Gypsy
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short update on Nick's behalf...

Picked Nick up at the Greyhound station in New Bern this morning. Actually it's not a Greyhound station. It's a WC gas station with a Greyhound sign in front!

We had a quick breakfast at Charlie's in Bayboro, then I dropped Nick off at Mobile East Marine so he could retrieve his truck & trailer.

My only regret is that Nick did not have more time to spare. He is a wealth of knowledge & information and quite a conversationalist!

Al
Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al,

I can't thank you enough for "saving me" from the 12 hour bus ride! Quite an experience, featuring things that I only thought occurrred when you hitchhike! FYI: INS and local and local police were involved and it appeared that altercations are the norm on Greyhound bus trips. Next time I'll walk back to the tow rig!

Also, thanks for breakfast and the kind comments. My frends would probably would probably shorten the "wealth of knowledge and information and conversationalist" to two letters!

When I bring Valkyrie to Mobile East this fall for storage in preparation for next winter's adventures hopefully we can continue our conversation. Also, when I get home I'll send you the info on our flooring and also the "Cruiser with Character" article.

Brats,

After a marathon bus ride to New Bern, I got the truck repaired and drove 400 miles back to SC. Note to self: try to get more than 1.5 hours sleep every 36 hours!

It will be high tide here in about an hour and Marcia and I will pull Valkyrie and get her oraganzed and secured for the trip home tomorrow. The people at Dataw Island Marina have been great and very helpful. Rather than charging us $1.50@foot for five days they charged us the weekly rate - $114 plus tax.

Regards,

Nick
"Valkyrie"
C-Gypsy

City/Region: Oriental
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Gypsy
Photos: C-Gypsy
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick,

Just glad I could help. Also very happy I decided to drive to New Bern on Monday to verify the location of the Greyhound "station".

Charlie on Captain's Cat can tell you how easily I get lost...

Of course that's only when I'm driving HIS truck and burning HIS gas! Mr. Green

Let me know when you're heading back down this fall. I'll be certain to have a beer or two in the fridge! Beer Beer

Al
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: